Cylinder numbering /can't see TDC mark on the flywheel

Old July 3rd 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Cylinder numbering /can't see TDC mark on the flywheel

What is the cylinder numbering on VW? I got a passat 91, if I open the
hood and face the engine, which one is going to be the first cylinder?
Do not laugh, I am just double checking, I am replacing the timing
belt/tensioner DYI, can't see and align the TDC mark on the flywheel,
so I assume that I can stick in a screwdriver in the cylinder #1
through the spark plug hole and get the same result when it is popped
up all the way. (BTW can I ?)

DG

Old July 3rd 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Randolph Latall

On Jul 2, 8:48 pm, wrote:
> What is the cylinder numbering on VW? I got a passat 91, if I open the
> hood and face the engine, which one is going to be the first cylinder?
> Do not laugh, I am just double checking, I am replacing the timing
> belt/tensioner DYI, can't see and align the TDC mark on the flywheel,
> so I assume that I can stick in a screwdriver in the cylinder #1
> through the spark plug hole and get the same result when it is popped
> up all the way. (BTW can I ?)
>
> DG

Number 1 is on the timing belt end. That is left side as you face the
engine. (I am assuming this is a 16V engine). You can stick a
screwdriver in there and get to TDC, however it may not be timed
properly.
To time this properly, get TDC up on the flywheel. This is a "O" on
the crankshaft and it aligns with the pointer on the bell housing.
Alternatively, you can align the mark on the crank pully with the
lower cover.
Pull the valve cover off the engine
find the mark on the inner side of the pulley. Rotate camshaft so
that this mark lies flush with the aluminum valve cover surface at the
front of the cylinder head. if this cannot be seen, replace valve
cover and look for a mark on the outside of the puller and align this
with the pointer on the valve cover.
The intermediate shaft does not time on a 16V engine.
Mount the belt keeping the marks aligned.
Tighten the adjuster. Rotate the engine 2X BY HAND to see if it is
timed properly. If not the engine will stop. Your camshaft is in
wrong position.
Properly tightened belt can be hand twisted between the pulleys about
45 degrees.
If the marks do not align, redo the entire thing. The maximum amount
of mis-timing allowed is 1 tooth.

Old July 3rd 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
al

wrote:

> On Jul 2, 7:42 pm, Randolph Latall > wrote:
>> On Jul 2, 8:48 pm, wrote:
>>
>> > What is the cylinder numbering on VW? I got a passat 91, if I open the
>> > hood and face the engine, which one is going to be the first cylinder?
>> > Do not laugh, I am just double checking, I am replacing the timing
>> > belt/tensioner DYI, can't see and align the TDC mark on the flywheel,
>> > so I assume that I can stick in a screwdriver in the cylinder #1
>> > through the spark plug hole and get the same result when it is popped
>> > up all the way. (BTW can I ?)

>> > DG

>> Number 1 is on the timing belt end. That is left side as you face the
>> engine. (I am assuming this is a 16V engine). You can stick a
>> screwdriver in there and get to TDC, however it may not be timed
>> properly.
>> To time this properly, get TDC up on the flywheel. This is a "O" on
>> the crankshaft and it aligns with the pointer on the bell housing.
>> Alternatively, you can align the mark on the crank pully with the
>> lower cover.
>> Pull the valve cover off the engine
>> find the mark on the inner side of the pulley. Rotate camshaft so
>> that this mark lies flush with the aluminum valve cover surface at the
>> front of the cylinder head. if this cannot be seen, replace valve
>> cover and look for a mark on the outside of the puller and align this
>> with the pointer on the valve cover.
>> The intermediate shaft does not time on a 16V engine.
>> Mount the belt keeping the marks aligned.
>> Tighten the adjuster. Rotate the engine 2X BY HAND to see if it is
>> timed properly. If not the engine will stop. Your camshaft is in
>> wrong position.
>> Properly tightened belt can be hand twisted between the pulleys about
>> 45 degrees.
>> If the marks do not align, redo the entire thing. The maximum amount
>> of mis-timing allowed is 1 tooth.

> Thank you for the detailed post. Once more question, I got a paint
> mark on the camshaft pulley, not on the inner side but on outer side.
> Can I use that instead of the inner mark and align with the triangular
> mark on the valve cover (basically pointing it on 12 o'clock
> direction)?
>
> DG

You might, if you trust that mark of paint. Better would be to have a look
at the cams on cylinder nr 1, and balance both intake and exhaust equally
as far as possible from the valves.
Old July 3rd 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Jul 2, 7:42 pm, Randolph Latall > wrote:
> On Jul 2, 8:48 pm, wrote:
>
> > What is the cylinder numbering on VW? I got a passat 91, if I open the
> > hood and face the engine, which one is going to be the first cylinder?
> > Do not laugh, I am just double checking, I am replacing the timing
> > belt/tensioner DYI, can't see and align the TDC mark on the flywheel,
> > so I assume that I can stick in a screwdriver in the cylinder #1
> > through the spark plug hole and get the same result when it is popped
> > up all the way. (BTW can I ?)

> > DG

> Number 1 is on the timing belt end. That is left side as you face the
> engine. (I am assuming this is a 16V engine). You can stick a
> screwdriver in there and get to TDC, however it may not be timed
> properly.
> To time this properly, get TDC up on the flywheel. This is a "O" on
> the crankshaft and it aligns with the pointer on the bell housing.
> Alternatively, you can align the mark on the crank pully with the
> lower cover.
> Pull the valve cover off the engine
> find the mark on the inner side of the pulley. Rotate camshaft so
> that this mark lies flush with the aluminum valve cover surface at the
> front of the cylinder head. if this cannot be seen, replace valve
> cover and look for a mark on the outside of the puller and align this
> with the pointer on the valve cover.
> The intermediate shaft does not time on a 16V engine.
> Mount the belt keeping the marks aligned.
> Tighten the adjuster. Rotate the engine 2X BY HAND to see if it is
> timed properly. If not the engine will stop. Your camshaft is in
> wrong position.
> Properly tightened belt can be hand twisted between the pulleys about
> 45 degrees.
> If the marks do not align, redo the entire thing. The maximum amount
> of mis-timing allowed is 1 tooth.

Thank you for the detailed post. Once more question, I got a paint
mark on the camshaft pulley, not on the inner side but on outer side.
Can I use that instead of the inner mark and align with the triangular
mark on the valve cover (basically pointing it on 12 o'clock
direction)?

DG

1997 Dodge 3.5L Cylinder Numbering [email protected] Dodge 2 December 1st 06 09:07 PM
Cylinder bank numbering Dean Dark BMW 40 July 19th 06 07:16 PM
TDC mark not on flywheel where expected [email protected] VW water cooled 7 January 1st 06 07:33 PM
flywheel timing mark Dick Johnson Chrysler 2 November 22nd 04 01:41 AM
Flywheel Timing Mark [email protected] VW water cooled 10 September 22nd 04 12:36 AM