Class Action Lawsuit against Jeep for 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees

Old December 4th 04, 08:51 PM
Bob Casanova

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 17:51:18 -0700, the following appeared in
rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "SoK66"
>:

<snip>

At $700k I think I'd pass too... ;-)

>The
>dealer wanted to charge him over $700k for the repair. He passed.

<snip>

--

Bob C.

Reply to Bob-Casanova @ worldnet.att.net
(without the spaces, of course)

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"
- Isaac Asimov
Old December 5th 04, 12:03 AM
Mark12211

My gf's brakes did the same thing on her 1999 GC. We happened to read in a
consumer magazine that Midus Muffler pointed out to us, about a kit from the
dealer to fix the problem. My Wrangler was in for another reason and I just
happened to ask, they said it was a major problem on the 1999-2002 Grand
Cherokees, and they didn't do the work to fix them, they suggested going to the
dealer and gave us a copy of the article. We had the dealer put on the kit,
which cost $997 including labor.

Old December 5th 04, 12:31 AM
SoK66

"Mark12211" > wrote in message
> My gf's brakes did the same thing on her 1999 GC. We happened to read in
> consumer magazine that Midus Muffler pointed out to us, about a kit from
> the
> dealer to fix the problem. My Wrangler was in for another reason and I
> just
> happened to ask, they said it was a major problem on the 1999-2002 Grand
> Cherokees, and they didn't do the work to fix them, they suggested going
> to the
> dealer and gave us a copy of the article. We had the dealer put on the
> kit,
> which cost $997 including labor.

Mark, you may want to take the issue to DC Customer Assistance and ask them
to reimburse you. Depends upon how hard you want to fight with them over it,
but they'll likely pop for the parts at least if put up some resistance.

Since my '01 was in warranty the dealer did it FOC, but it appears they're
dodging it if the vehicle is over the 3yrs/36k. Put some pressure on them
reimburse you under Goodwill (After Warranty Adjustment, etc.)

Old December 5th 04, 12:31 AM
SoK66

Old December 7th 04, 05:39 PM
Brian Foster

My brakes on my 02 GC were squeaking terribly @ 40,000 miles. I took to Just
Brakes and got re-lined. Now @ 42,000 they are squeaking again. I brought it
back to JB and they show me a Jeep Service Bulletin for all 99-02 WJ/WG/GC
to put a kit on that includes new rotors and calipers ($600). I brought the
car into the dealer (for a gas tank recall) and asked them about the entire
issue. They said it was crap, blamed just brakes for doing bad work/using
cheap pads said they new nothing about a recall or problem with
rotors/calipers.

So I just e-mailed Jeep.com with my complaint. We'll see where this goes. I
hate a company that will not stand behind their product. Maybe this is the
first and last Jeep I own.

. com...

Old December 7th 04, 08:10 PM
marko

Brian Foster wrote:
> My brakes on my 02 GC were squeaking terribly @ 40,000 miles. I took to Just
> Brakes and got re-lined. Now @ 42,000 they are squeaking again. I brought it

Squak with new pads (2000 miles, front ones?) would be either wrong pads
(bad quality, surface glassed, do they fit to calipers?) or missing
tension clip/spring. Or severed caliper during job, calipers were
pressing the rotor all the time? Was this your first set of pads, what
did 32K or 36K mile service state for brakes? How worn the pads were?
To what torgue the JB tightened wheel nuts?

The term re-lining escapes me, were the rotors warped, and issue solved
by turning and new pads? In my vehicle the first set of rotors were
warped at 14K miles, second set (TSB ones) are now warped at 39K miles.
I have now Stillen rotors and pads in container coming to Europe.
TSB is
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb_list.htm#0500302b

Odd if the service at dealer does not recognize any of the front brake
TSBs. This is fourth TSB on the warped rotors. But if the problem is
only squak after brake job, Just Brakes sounds like newer seen brakes...
Espcially odd is they come forward with TSB info after the brake job,
not before the job.

Marko
Old December 8th 04, 06:31 AM
bllsht

In message >, "Brian Foster" wrote:

>My brakes on my 02 GC were squeaking terribly @ 40,000 miles. I took to Just
>Brakes and got re-lined. Now @ 42,000 they are squeaking again. I brought it
>back to JB and they show me a Jeep Service Bulletin for all 99-02 WJ/WG/GC
>to put a kit on that includes new rotors and calipers ($600). I brought the
>car into the dealer (for a gas tank recall) and asked them about the entire
>issue. They said it was crap, blamed just brakes for doing bad work/using
>cheap pads said they new nothing about a recall or problem with
>rotors/calipers.

It was a TSB, not a recall, and it didn't address squeaking. It was about
pulsation.

>So I just e-mailed Jeep.com with my complaint. We'll see where this goes. I
>hate a company that will not stand behind their product. Maybe this is the
>first and last Jeep I own.

First they nail you for a reline, then show you a totally unrelated bulletin 2k
miles later when you have the same problem. Instead of stepping up and taking
care of it, they blame Jeep and you buy it. Funny they didn't mention the
bulletin on your first visit when they took your money, eh?

I have a feeling you got what you paid for.

Just Brakes. LOL

.com...

Old December 8th 04, 12:21 PM
Joseph P

Brian Foster wrote:
| My brakes on my 02 GC were squeaking terribly @ 40,000 miles. I
| took to Just Brakes and got re-lined. Now @ 42,000 they are
| squeaking again. I brought it back to JB and they show me a Jeep
| Service Bulletin for all 99-02 WJ/WG/GC to put a kit on that
| includes new rotors and calipers ($600). I brought the car into
| the dealer (for a gas tank recall) and asked them about the
| entire issue. They said it was crap, blamed just brakes for doing
| bad work/using cheap pads said they new nothing about a recall or
| problem with rotors/calipers.
|
| So I just e-mailed Jeep.com with my complaint. We'll see where
| this goes. I hate a company that will not stand behind their
| product. Maybe this is the first and last Jeep I own.

Jeep stands by their vehicles, I can't help what an independant dealer will
(or will not) do. Of course, that is what you get for going to a place
called "just brakes." Next try, try "Do-it Yourself."

Old December 8th 04, 03:54 PM
Brian Foster

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by independent dealer. Are all
dealers independent or are some owned by the car companies?
If the car companies do not own the dealers then they are very dependant on
the dealer to provide good service or their brand name will not be worth
crap.

I'm glad I didn't try it myself because I would of done it wrong or worse if
there is a problem with the brakes, both the dealer and jeep would of said
tough luck, you screwed em up, now it's your problem. You fix it.

om...