trailer hitch recomendations?

Old June 27th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default trailer hitch recomendations?

I am looking to put a class I trailer hitch on a '99 Golf. I have
noticed a number of options out there, but I am wondering if anyone
has any recomendations. Ideally, I would like the cross bar to be as
hidden as possible. Also, is there a manufaturer to avoid?

Thank you..
-e

Old June 27th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom Flynn

wrote:
> I am looking to put a class I trailer hitch on a '99 Golf. I have
> noticed a number of options out there, but I am wondering if anyone
> has any recomendations. Ideally, I would like the cross bar to be as
> hidden as possible. Also, is there a manufaturer to avoid?
>
> Thank you..
> -e

I've got a 2000 Golf, and a Draw-tite (sp?) hitch. It works out OK, but is a bit low in the back (the bottom of the receiver hits pavement on low dips even with no one sitting in the rear seat). Not sure what you could do to avoid this, since the car sits low normally (maybe get springs that raise the ride height?) but other than being careful around dips, it works fine. One of the mounts to the car is through a tow hook, the other mounts to a frame member (they did drill a hole for a third mounting point inside the spare tire compartment).

The installer messed up on the wiring for the trailer harness...I ended up fixing it on my own...turned out to be a ground problem. They even ended up putting in a signal amplifier (which I don't think was really needed)..since even afterputting the amplifier in, it kept blowing a fuse for the speedometer (wouldn't register any speed). Since I have wiring diagram in the Bentley, I found the right ground and it's been working fine for several years.
--
---------
Tom Flynn
Old June 27th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

> I've got a 2000 Golf, and a Draw-tite (sp?) hitch. It works out OK, but is a bit low in the back (the bottom of the receiver hits pavement on low dips even with no one sitting in the rear seat). Not sure what you could do to avoid this, since the car sits low normally (maybe get springs that raise the ride height?) but other than being careful around dips, it works fine. One of the mounts to the car is through a tow hook, the other mounts to a frame member (they did drill a hole for a third mounting point inside the spare tire compartment).

> --
> ---------
> Tom Flynn
> I speak only for myself

I had a feeling hitting on dips might be an issue, since the car is
really low. It doesn't help that I live in a city named twice that
was only paved once.

Does the Draw-tite hitch seem as if it mounts as close to the bumper
as possible?

-e

Old July 1st 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom Flynn

wrote:

>> I've got a 2000 Golf, and a Draw-tite (sp?) hitch. It works out OK, but is a bit low in the back (the bottom of the receiver hits pavement on low dips even with no one sitting in the rear seat). Not sure what you could do to avoid this, since the car sits low normally (maybe get springs that raise the ride height?) but other than being careful around dips, it works fine. One of the mounts to the car is through a tow hook, the other mounts to a frame member (they did drill a hole for a third mounting point inside the spare tire compartment).

>> --
>> ---------
>> Tom Flynn
>> I speak only for myself

> I had a feeling hitting on dips might be an issue, since the car is
> really low. It doesn't help that I live in a city named twice that
> was only paved once.
>
> Does the Draw-tite hitch seem as if it mounts as close to the bumper
> as possible?
>
> -e

Yes, the hitch seems to be mounted about as high as it could be, given the mouning location. I guess you could try to remove it when not in use, but that would be a bit of a pain. Guess it is aerodynamics, but cars seem to sit a lot lower than they used to, comparing this one to my 1986 GTI, it seems much lower.

-
---------
Tom Flynn
I speak only for myself

trailer hitch on a MX-5? [email protected] Mazda 18 January 24th 07 12:20 PM
trailer hitch peter Mazda 1 November 9th 06 05:37 PM
Trailer hitch Doug B.[_1_] Dodge 1 September 28th 06 02:46 AM
trailer hitch help tuff Ford Explorer 1 May 22nd 05 09:59 AM
Trailer hitch help - '02 XLS knagy389us Ford Explorer 5 February 15th 05 06:13 PM