Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

Old May 2nd 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

Old May 2nd 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"edb" > wrote:

> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

Well, that wasnt as much a freakin' fluff piece as I thought it would
be.,..

But BEWARE these news items anyway.

I saw one 'feature' a few years ago where the "EXPERT" claimed that
reducing speed from 65 to 50 would result in a 25% improvement in mileage.

And he 'proved it' on a one mile road course, with twisties, driving a gen
II taurus station wagon... which APPEARED to be, though it wasnt
mentioned.. fully loaded.

That you could hear tire screech on cornering was all it took to make me
want to throw a brick through the TV and find the schmuck and beat him to
a pulp!

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 2nd 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default On the other hand....

"edb" > wrote:

> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

What the hell does this have to do with Mustang enthusiasts?

WE DONT CARE !!!!

Or we'd be driving 1350 CC kia's

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 2nd 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:53:41 GMT, "edb" > puked:

>http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

Someone ought to get the word out about this:

Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.

--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old May 2nd 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

lab~rat >:-) wrote:
> On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:53:41 GMT, "edb" > puked:
>
>> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>>

> Someone ought to get the word out about this:
>
> Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
> Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.

That is worse than a hybrid Escape.
Old May 2nd 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Backyard Mechanic wrote:
> "edb" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>>

> What the hell does this have to do with Mustang enthusiasts?
>
> WE DONT CARE !!!!
>
> Or we'd be driving 1350 CC kia's

I found it quite amusing. Especially the part where it said that the
Diesel Liberty reported as getting 22MPG by Chrysler, CR got 11 and the
Honda hybrid rated for 48MPG CR got 26. ROFL!! I love it. Make the 19MPG
I get in the Mustang look pretty good Heh heh...

Trailblazer EXT Reports 15, CR got 9. LOL My Nissan reported 14 and
I ended up getting 18 after two bolt on mods.

--
"Be sure you keep your fur free of grit,
or you will have the same trouble all over again." - Kate

Old May 2nd 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

WindsorFox wrote:
> Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>> "edb" > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>>>

>> What the hell does this have to do with Mustang enthusiasts?
>>
>> WE DONT CARE !!!!
>>
>> Or we'd be driving 1350 CC kia's
>>

> I found it quite amusing. Especially the part where it said that the
> Diesel Liberty reported as getting 22MPG by Chrysler, CR got 11 and the
> Honda hybrid rated for 48MPG CR got 26. ROFL!! I love it. Make the 19MPG
> I get in the Mustang look pretty good Heh heh...
>
> Trailblazer EXT Reports 15, CR got 9. LOL My Nissan reported 14 and I
> ended up getting 18 after two bolt on mods.

I'm getting about 26-27mpg on the highway with my 320hp AWD A6. I lost
about 1mpg when I goosed the HP up from 250hp. I take those mileage
estimates on the sticker with a BIG grain of salt. It's pretty amusing
to watch all these soccer moms running around to the grocery store in
their Tahoe/Denali/Expedition/etc (with no passengers) getting 10mpg and
whining about those $100 fill ups. 8-)

Cheers,

Old May 3rd 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> "edb" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

> Well, that wasnt as much a freakin' fluff piece as I thought it would
> be.,..
>
> But BEWARE these news items anyway.
>
> I saw one 'feature' a few years ago where the "EXPERT" claimed that
> reducing speed from 65 to 50 would result in a 25% improvement in mileage.
>
> And he 'proved it' on a one mile road course, with twisties, driving a gen
> II taurus station wagon... which APPEARED to be, though it wasnt
> mentioned.. fully loaded.
>
> That you could hear tire screech on cornering was all it took to make me
> want to throw a brick through the TV and find the schmuck and beat him to
> a pulp!

Given that TFrog is now 13 with 194,000+ miles, and badly in need of a
tuneup and intake cleaning, I find that my optimum speed for fuel efficiency
is about 72mph.

At that, I'm barely idling in 5th gear. That's probably the best speed vs.
fuel result.

The other day, as I was behind a mook doing 45mph on a 45mph road, I was
wondering how much money he was costing me. His adherance to the speed limit
kept me in 3rd gear, when another 5mph would have dropped me into 4th and
thus much better mileage.

dwight

Old May 3rd 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"dwight" > wrote in
:

> "Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
>> "edb" > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

>> Well, that wasnt as much a freakin' fluff piece as I thought it would
>> be.,..
>>
>> But BEWARE these news items anyway.
>>
>> I saw one 'feature' a few years ago where the "EXPERT" claimed that
>> reducing speed from 65 to 50 would result in a 25% improvement in
>> mileage.
>>
>> And he 'proved it' on a one mile road course, with twisties, driving
>> a gen II taurus station wagon... which APPEARED to be, though it
>> wasnt mentioned.. fully loaded.
>>
>> That you could hear tire screech on cornering was all it took to make
>> me want to throw a brick through the TV and find the schmuck and
>> beat him to a pulp!

> Given that TFrog is now 13 with 194,000+ miles, and badly in need of a
> tuneup and intake cleaning, I find that my optimum speed for fuel
> efficiency is about 72mph.
>
> At that, I'm barely idling in 5th gear. That's probably the best speed
> vs. fuel result.
>
> The other day, as I was behind a mook doing 45mph on a 45mph road, I
> was wondering how much money he was costing me. His adherance to the
> speed limit kept me in 3rd gear, when another 5mph would have dropped
> me into 4th and thus much better mileage.
>
> dwight

Time for a 3.93 rear.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old May 3rd 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "dwight" > wrote in
> :

>>> Well, that wasnt as much a freakin' fluff piece as I thought it would
>>> be.,..
>>>
>>> But BEWARE these news items anyway.
>>>
>>> I saw one 'feature' a few years ago where the "EXPERT" claimed that
>>> reducing speed from 65 to 50 would result in a 25% improvement in
>>> mileage.
>>>
>>> And he 'proved it' on a one mile road course, with twisties, driving
>>> a gen II taurus station wagon... which APPEARED to be, though it
>>> wasnt mentioned.. fully loaded.
>>>
>>> That you could hear tire screech on cornering was all it took to make
>>> me want to throw a brick through the TV and find the schmuck and
>>> beat him to a pulp!

>> Given that TFrog is now 13 with 194,000+ miles, and badly in need of a
>> tuneup and intake cleaning, I find that my optimum speed for fuel
>> efficiency is about 72mph.
>>
>> At that, I'm barely idling in 5th gear. That's probably the best speed
>> vs. fuel result.
>>
>> The other day, as I was behind a mook doing 45mph on a 45mph road, I
>> was wondering how much money he was costing me. His adherance to the
>> speed limit kept me in 3rd gear, when another 5mph would have dropped
>> me into 4th and thus much better mileage.
>>
>> dwight

> Time for a 3.93 rear.
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Right, Joe. THAT will certainly help my fuel mileage.

Not that I really give a crap about fuel mileage... I just find it amusing
that speeding actually makes TFrog more efficient, rather than slowing down,
as some would have us believe.

)