2009 Goodwood Festival of Speed 2008 Ddoge Charger NASCAR frt r.JPG (1/1) 32 of 49

Old November 13th 09, 11:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Leroy Curtis

Default 2009 Goodwood Festival of Speed 2008 Ddoge Charger NASCAR frt r.JPG (1/1) 32 of 49

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Ddoge Charger NASCAR frt r.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	189696
Old November 14th 09, 07:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Max Magister

Is there even one single stock Dodge part in this entire car? What's the
attraction of watching identical cars go round and round in a circle when
they have nothing in common with the brand they're supposed to be but
everything in common with each other?

max

Old November 14th 09, 11:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Leroy Curtis

In article >, Max Magister
> writes
>Is there even one single stock Dodge part in this entire car? What's the
>attraction of watching identical cars go round and round in a circle when
>they have nothing in common with the brand they're supposed to be but
>everything in common with each other?

I can see your point, Max; the cars aren't related to stock in any
recognisable way, as far as I can see. But (and I've never watched a
NASCAR race, so I stand to be corrected) I would imagine that the rules
promote close, exciting racing with lots of passing, and bring drivers'
skills to the fore. After all, isn't the Indy car series pretty similar;
identical cars on ovals?
--
Regards

Leroy Curtis

Please replace "nospam" with "baram" in my address if you wish to
reply by Email
Old November 14th 09, 03:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
vintage

I agree completely with you Max. I uses to be a NASCAR fan, but I seldom
watch the races anymore.

Old November 14th 09, 08:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
rob

nascar thinks the manufacturers war was over done and safety was becoming an
issue so they are all supposed meet the same specs for height, weight,
length etc all must have the same style splitter on the front bumper, and
same style wing on the rear trunk lid etc etc. all in the interest of
'fairness" supposedly. so they say now no manufacturer has an advantage
supposedly and only driver skill and car set up and pit crews make or break
a race.

in other words if all the cars are basically the same then only the humans
make the difference. and i have a bridge from key west to Cuba to sell ya
too if you believe that one.....

Old November 15th 09, 10:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
John Bradley

Right you are, Max. Today's nascar is basically a kit-car series where every
part on it must be an 'official' nascar-approved (the part manufacturer pays
nascar for the privilege) part or the crew chiefs face heavy fines. The
branded engines are built from the ground up without any stock parts by
engine manufacturers under contract to the manufacturer and nascar. And,
even though the 'cars' are butt-ugly, there's lots of ad space to sell. I'm
sure all the cowboy/redneck/beer/tits-n-ass tv commercials upon which nascar
'racing' is based does appeal to a growing cohort of the American
demographic. "Did jer see that crash, man?" Like totally awesome. Ya'll.
But I'm also afraid that I'm from the days when a driver/owner wrapped the
steering wheel with electrical tape, took off the lights, added an Korean
War Air Force surplus 3" seat belt, and went racin'. Today's nascar plays
(and preys) on that mythos.
When one considers the growing numbers of ignorant consumer units that the
nascar demographic represents, I'm sure you can see the potential success in
nascar fooling the majority of the people the majority of the time.
And - as a circus maximus entertainment medium - the crashes are not only
colourful what with all that advertizing, but filmed in slow motion from
many angles so they can be repeated during the 11oclock Sports News.
It's just biznezz after all.

Old November 15th 09, 10:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Leroy Curtis

In article m>, Rob
> writes
>
>"Leroy Curtis" > wrote in message

>> In article >, Max Magister
>> > writes

>>>Is there even one single stock Dodge part in this entire car? What's the
>>>attraction of watching identical cars go round and round in a circle when
>>>they have nothing in common with the brand they're supposed to be but
>>>everything in common with each other?
>>>

>> I can see your point, Max; the cars aren't related to stock in any
>> recognisable way, as far as I can see. But (and I've never watched a
>> NASCAR race, so I stand to be corrected) I would imagine that the rules
>> promote close, exciting racing with lots of passing, and bring drivers'
>> skills to the fore. After all, isn't the Indy car series pretty similar;
>> identical cars on ovals?
>> --
>>

>nascar thinks the manufacturers war was over done and safety was becoming an
>issue so they are all supposed meet the same specs for height, weight,
>length etc all must have the same style splitter on the front bumper, and
>same style wing on the rear trunk lid etc etc. all in the interest of
>'fairness" supposedly. so they say now no manufacturer has an advantage
>supposedly and only driver skill and car set up and pit crews make or break
>a race.
>

> in other words if all the cars are basically the same then only the humans
>make the difference. and i have a bridge from key west to Cuba to sell ya
>too if you believe that one.....

Point taken. But isn't the racing any good? Having just read John's post
lower down in the thread, he seems to be saying that the sport isn't for
those who want to see a contest of skill between drivers, but rather
represents an excuse to get drunk and see some spectacular car crashes.
That doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't some good racing amongst
it all; or does it?

Old November 16th 09, 12:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
rob

there are still crashes but very seldom doest the car launch into the stands
anymore. speed restrictions, flaps, wings, etc to change air flow. there
are still some bad wrecks but not like it used to be.

as far as getting drunk? most of them do that in the parking lot. should
see some of the stuff the leave behind in the infield in Daytona when they
camp out for a couple days. couches, TVs, BBQ grills with one days use on
them. etc etc. But when one race team wins all the time week in and week out
( Jimmy Johnson and the Hendricks motorsports group ), then its lost its
appeal. must be what people felt about Richard Petty in the 60s? either one
team really really has their Sh** together, or there's something a little
funny going on....

it used to be if someone won on Sunday, you could to the dealer on Monday
and see something close to that car. Now its Chevy Chevy Chevy Chevy, and
occasionally someone else. But none of the cars are anything like what's on
the track. (especially with that big intake and 4 barrel Holley on top of
that engine instead of an injection system). Nascar officials also have
these big sheet metal templates they hold over the car to make sure its the
same height and shape. cant be too long, cant be tall, must look like a
Chevy (or it seems like they are do), but you can put your own grill on it
and ford, dodge, or Toyota stickers on it if you want.

"Leroy Curtis" > wrote in message
> In article m>, Rob
> > writes
>>
>>"Leroy Curtis" > wrote in message

>>> In article >, Max Magister

>>> I can see your point, Max; the cars aren't related to stock in any
>>> recognisable way, as far as I can see. But (and I've never watched a
>>> NASCAR race, so I stand to be corrected) I would imagine that the rules
>>> promote close, exciting racing with lots of passing, and bring drivers'
>>> skills to the fore. After all, isn't the Indy car series pretty similar;
>>> identical cars on ovals?
>>> --
>>>

>>nascar thinks the manufacturers war was over done and safety was becoming
>>an
>>issue so they are all supposed meet the same specs for height, weight,
>>length etc all must have the same style splitter on the front bumper, and
>>same style wing on the rear trunk lid etc etc. all in the interest of
>>'fairness" supposedly. so they say now no manufacturer has an advantage
>>supposedly and only driver skill and car set up and pit crews make or
>>break
>>a race.
>>

>> in other words if all the cars are basically the same then only the
>> humans
>>make the difference. and i have a bridge from key west to Cuba to sell ya
>>too if you believe that one.....

> Point taken. But isn't the racing any good? Having just read John's post
> lower down in the thread, he seems to be saying that the sport isn't for
> those who want to see a contest of skill between drivers, but rather
> represents an excuse to get drunk and see some spectacular car crashes.
> That doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't some good racing amongst
> it all; or does it?
> --
> Regards
>
> Leroy Curtis
>
> Please replace "nospam" with "baram" in my address if you wish to
> reply by Email

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cot-inspect-bristol.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	189840  Click image for larger version

Name:	techincal_inspection_graphic.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	189841  Click image for larger version

Name:	nascar-inspection-2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	189842