1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Old February 1st 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

Default 1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 1, 2:41 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
>
> > ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

> Yes.

ok thats the ONLY filter right???

Old February 1st 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Scotty wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2:41 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>
>>Scotty wrote:
>>

>>>ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

>> Yes.

> ok thats the ONLY filter right???

That's correct. The sreen catches the really big lumps <g>
and the fine particles settle out onto the sump plate.

The Porsche engineers who came up with the design in 1937 (Yes!)
felt it would be adequate to protect the bearings .
70 years later....It still works!

Jim
Old February 1st 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Scotty" > wrote in message
oups.com...
... And joey,
> i've ordered one... i'm w8ing til i get it, BUT i want AS MUCH DONE B4
> i get it... i want it on the road in 6 months

cool....sounds like a great plan...go in blind now, then fix all the screw
ups when the manual comes...it takes what. a day or two to have a manual
shipped?

Old February 1st 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

On Feb 1, 3:52 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "Scotty" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> ... And joey,
>
> > i've ordered one... i'm w8ing til i get it, BUT i want AS MUCH DONE B4
> > i get it... i want it on the road in 6 months

> cool....sounds like a great plan...go in blind now, then fix all the screw
> ups when the manual comes...it takes what. a day or two to have a manual
> shipped?

iight, you don't understand, I KNOW people that work?worked on them,
my uncle can set the timing by ear... i got it running BY MY SELF 3
DAYS AFTER IT GOT IT

Old February 1st 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

On Feb 1, 3:48 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:

> >> Yes.

> > ok thats the ONLY filter right???

> That's correct. The sreen catches the really big lumps <g>
> and the fine particles settle out onto the sump plate.
>
> The Porsche engineers who came up with the design in 1937 (Yes!)
> felt it would be adequate to protect the bearings .
> 70 years later....It still works!
>
> Jim

thank ya Jim, so now i get to take back the oil filters autozone said
i'd need... lol

Old February 1st 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Scotty wrote:

> iight, you don't understand, I KNOW people that work?worked on them,
> my uncle can set the timing by ear...

Oh, sh*t!! Now you've really done it, Scotty!
Man the barricades; here comes the flame war!

HaHaHaHa (Just kidding)

i got it running BY MY SELF 3
> DAYS AFTER IT GOT IT

Frankly, I applaud your plucky attitude and willingness.

(That's not a slam on Joey's position either. I just take
a slightly different viewpoint.)

Jim

Old February 1st 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jakalope

> my uncle can set the timing by ear...

I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

Old February 2nd 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

On Feb 1, 4:59 pm, "Jakalope" > wrote:
> > my uncle can set the timing by ear...

> I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have
said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,

Old February 2nd 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
iight, you don't understand, I KNOW people that work?worked on them,
> my uncle can set the timing by ear... i got it running BY MY SELF 3
> DAYS AFTER IT GOT IT

"iight" i'll tell you, your timing is off....

Old February 2nd 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 1, 4:59 pm, "Jakalope" > wrote:
>> > my uncle can set the timing by ear...

>> I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

> he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have
> said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
> WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,

detonation is your friend...embrace it....