'85 CJ7 engine swap

Old April 11th 05, 04:06 AM
griffin

Default '85 CJ7 engine swap

I've been debating selling the CJ for awhile cuz it's only a 2.5L, it's
rusty, and the engine is starting to go (it's already a rebuild). However, I
like the CJ look and I find the thing REALLY easy to work on and I'm also
learning a lot because I'm not afraid to try and do things myself since it's
pretty much trashed anyways. With that in mind, I figure the engine will
soon go and I'm considering spending the summer hunting for a 4.0L high
output with fuel injection from a newer YJ. Here's some questions:

1. Is this feasible? Is it a good idea and how hard a job is this to make it
work?
2. Any tutorials anywhere on it? (Bill?)
3. Should I replace the engine/transmission/injection system completely? I'm
thinking of buying a blown engine for cheap with the tranny and fuel
injection system and spending next winter rebuilding it in my garage ...as
both a project to learn how to do it and also so I can put a REAL engine in
my CJ. What all do I need out of the YJ tho (in terms of
engine/tranny/injection system ...any other misc parts I'll need to rip
out?)
4. Anything else anyone can think of that I should know about before I
consider this?

Thanks!

Old April 11th 05, 06:42 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Griffin,
They say where's the a will there's a way. But the six electronics
takes it's cue form the Crank Position Sensor located on their
bellhousing, which stock is designed only to fit the automatic and
Japanese AX15 transmission: http://www.billhughes.com/ax5_ax15.jpg but
not your T-4 and Advance Adapters only adapts it to the commonly used
Chevrolet:
http://eshop.advanceadapters.com/com...roduct_id=1631
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old April 11th 05, 04:04 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

There's a guy in calgary that just did this swap. I'll see if I can find his
email address. He went from a 258 though...

Old April 12th 05, 01:35 AM
Jeff White

The bell housing issue is really easy to get around. Hesco has a
damper/crank sensor kit to trigger the ignition off the harmonic balancer
instead of the flywheel. The cost is around $300.
I have even seen where someone put a fuel tank from a fuel injected (
fuel pump in the tank) Wrangler into a CJ and just turned it around so the
same filler location could be used. He had to come up with some slightly
different filler hoses but he wanted to use as many OE EFI parts as
possible. A fuel return line may or not be required depending on the year of
the fuel injection.
It will take a bit of work but the results will be well worth the effort.