Replacing micro instrument lights with LEDs?

Old July 24th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Mark G.

Default Replacing micro instrument lights with LEDs?

Good afternoon.

I need to replace various micro-sized light bulbs in my radio and CD player
(1991 Accord.) The Honda dealer wants about five bucks each for them; these
bulbs are tough to source elsewhere.

It occurs to me that they could perhaps be replaced with LEDs. Has anyone
else here done that successfully?

Thanks
-Mark

Old July 25th 07, 02:10 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Stewart DIBBS

"Mark G." > wrote in message
> I need to replace various micro-sized light bulbs in my radio and CD
> player (1991 Accord.) The Honda dealer wants about five bucks each for
> them. It occurs to me that they could perhaps be replaced with LEDs.

Yes, but it v-e-r-y fiddly: you need to work out the correct resistor for
each one, and solder much thinner wires to fit the bulb base. Further, the
LED light is quite directional, not unidirectional like the bulb. Pay the
$5.

SD

Old July 25th 07, 07:10 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Eric[_1_]

"Mark G." wrote:

> Good afternoon.
>
> I need to replace various micro-sized light bulbs in my radio and CD
> player (1991 Accord.) The Honda dealer wants about five bucks each for
> them; these bulbs are tough to source elsewhere.
>
> It occurs to me that they could perhaps be replaced with LEDs. Has anyone
> else here done that successfully?

Have you tried the electronics suppliers such as http://www.digikey.com/ ?

Eric
Old July 25th 07, 04:30 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jim Yanik

"Mark G." > wrote in
:

> Good afternoon.
>
> I need to replace various micro-sized light bulbs in my radio and CD
> player (1991 Accord.) The Honda dealer wants about five bucks each for
> them; these bulbs are tough to source elsewhere.
>
> It occurs to me that they could perhaps be replaced with LEDs. Has
> anyone else here done that successfully?
>
> Thanks
> -Mark

some of those "grain of wheat" bulbs are the size of a piece of rice and
few if any LEDs are that small,and then you have to add a resistor to limit
current. red LEDs drop about 1.8v,white LEDs drop ~3.5v,amber LEDs
IIRC,~2.2V. Current runs around 15-20ma,MAX.
3mm LEDs -might- fit,*if you have the space*. Also,LEDs emit axially,not
radially,so the LED has to stand up,not lay on it's side like lamps are
often mounted.

some surface mount LEDs might work,too.

This is definitely a project where you have to know what you're doing.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 25th 07, 08:40 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Check out http://autolumination.com/