Problem with TJ suspension - Clunk

Old January 14th 05, 04:37 AM

wow, you guys rock...I have a '97 TJ and I just tonight figured out
what my problem was by reading this thread....basically, apart from a
different year, I have the same problem as the original poster. The
largest clunk is front right, that's where I feel the slippage from....
I have to drive 150 interstate mi tomorrow to Atlanta (flying over to
South Asia to help out)...will driving with a 'loose' sway bar be
dangerous? or will it damage anything?

I'm a little confused by what all needs to be replaced...at this point,
I'm sure I need two new sway bars (might as well get some quick
disonnects), but do I also need to replace the control bar/stabilizer
bar?

I wouldn't be able to repair any of this until I come back to the US,
which will be after another 150 mi drive...any advice is much
appreciated. (like, if you guys tell me I have to go to the dealer
tomorrow to get this fixed, I will, but I'm guessing I can order some
parts, they'll be delivered when I'm gone, and I can fix it in
February)

Old January 14th 05, 01:11 PM
mabar

oups.com...

Old January 14th 05, 01:27 PM
mabar

First, see the stabilizer bar link photo I posted on the newsgroup:
alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have to drive 150 interstate mi tomorrow to Atlanta (flying over to
> South Asia to help out)...will driving with a 'loose' sway bar be
> dangerous? or will it damage anything?

Driving on the road with a disconnected stabilizer bar is dangerous, but
yours may not be disconnected. The clunking you hear is probably the
disintegrating plastic ball joint on the top of the stabilizer bar link. It
still may be connected though. The stabilizer bar helps reduce body roll
(lean) in turns. With a totally disconnected stabilizer bar, vehicle
handling during turns or sharp manovers becomes very dangerous, with LOTS of
body lean. You should never drive on the road with a disconnected stabilizer
bar. A disconnected bar is for off road use only.

> I'm a little confused by what all needs to be replaced...at this point,
> I'm sure I need two new sway bars (might as well get some quick
> disonnects), but do I also need to replace the control bar/stabilizer
> bar?

No, you don't need to replace your stabilizer bar. You have one stabilizer
bar or anti-sway bar (sometimes just called a sway bar) that runs
horizontally across the front of the Jeep. It is connected to the front
suspension on each side with vertical links. The links have a plastic
swivel/ball joint on top, covered by a rubber boot. See the photo I posted
on: alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4. The clunking sounds indicates
that you probably need to replace one or both sway bar links.

Tom

Old January 14th 05, 06:28 PM

Yes, they're still connected, and the front right rubber boot is
definitely disintigrating, they're just some play in it, especially
when I turn to the left.

OK, now that I need to order some new sway bars for my '97 TJ....do any
of you experts have a particular brand/retailer you recommend? (I do
very little off-roading)

Thanks again!