undercoating

Old March 8th 05, 07:16 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"Lee Ayrton" > wrote in message
. com...
> When I was in MT last spring I was told that they've started using salt in
> a few ski resort towns -- because the touristas and moneybaggers
> (multi-million dollar "log cabins") expect it.

i havent heard of that, and would be surprised to find that its true. as a
whole, montanans dont care much for people who come in and try to change
things. you should read our state constitution sometime, much of it is
written specifically to prevent someone coming in and changing things. red
lodge is a big ski resort/tourist town and i know they dont use salt. i
went pretty much all over montana this past winter (work related) from
beartooth pass to the blackfeet reservation, sidney to well into idaho and
only recall dirt at gravel. not saying its not possible, just that id be
real surprised about it if it is.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 18th 05, 04:01 AM
Lee Ayrton

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> "Lee Ayrton" > wrote in message

>> When I was in MT last spring I was told that they've started using salt
>> in a few ski resort towns -- because the touristas and moneybaggers
>> (multi-million dollar "log cabins") expect it.

> i havent heard of that, and would be surprised to find that its true.
> as a whole, montanans dont care much for people who come in and try to
> change things.

I know. I've been sleeping with a Montanian for more than a dozen years.
But you would have had no way of knowing that.

> you should read our state constitution sometime, much of

Her grandmother was part of the 1972 constitutional convention that
wrote that constitution. But you would have had no way of knowing that.

> it is written specifically to prevent someone coming in and changing
> things. red lodge is a big ski resort/tourist town and i know they dont
> use salt.

After I posted that I remembered that we were in Whitefish when we were
told about "road salt" and heard the lament that their cars were going to
start rusting.

Seems like my informant was right, for a fairly wide value of "salt":

2. MDT - Maintenance Program
<URL:http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/departments/maintenance/deicer_use.shtml>

3. MDT - Maintenance Program FAQs
<URL:http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/departments/maintenance/faq.shtml>

Magnesium chloride _is_ a salt, but isn't what you or I would think of
first as road salt. Here in Connecticut it would be calcium chloride,
other places might use sodium chloride, I dunno. MDT claims it is less
corrosive than sodium or calcium.

> i went pretty much all over montana this past winter (work
> related) from beartooth pass to the blackfeet reservation, sidney to
> well into idaho and only recall dirt at gravel. not saying its not
> possible, just that id be real surprised about it if it is.

Lovely country, for the most part. The former mining towns tend to be
dreary but that's because they're former mines. But before you get too
enamored of all that history of rugged individualism check out the law MT
enacted (briefly) during WWII making it a crime to criticize the
government. Everybody has their little slip-ups.

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"

Old March 18th 05, 04:41 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Lee Ayrton" > wrote in message
x.com...

> After I posted that I remembered that we were in Whitefish when we were
> told about "road salt" and heard the lament that their cars were going to
> start rusting.
>
> Seems like my informant was right, for a fairly wide value of "salt":

i cant be sure but im betting that may be in the areas of kalispell/missoula
maybe. ive seen those trucks spraying liquid on the roads up there. ive
never seen any of it anywhere around here, just gravel and dirt. we're
currently getting snow and the plows are running, ill ask one of the drivers
what all theyre using out here. ill be really surprised if its anything
other than dirt and gravel. im leaving a lot of distance between me and the
cars in front of me thats for sure. my jeep windshields seem to love rocks
and we got em all over during snow.

> 2. MDT - Maintenance Program
> <URL:http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/departments/maintenance/deicer_use.shtml>
>
> 3. MDT - Maintenance Program FAQs
> <URL:http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/departments/maintenance/faq.shtml>

pretty interesting article, ive wondered what those trucks were. as i read
the second article it doesnt appear to be widely used but ill ask and see
what feedback i get.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com