Close Call!

Old March 17th 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l

Default Close Call!

You miss a key parameter here, Earle. 4WD provides 4 traction points
for "go", it does squat all for "whoa" - the brakes provide 4 wheel
energy for that little detail. All the 4WD does is to help transfer
whatever resistance it can find to the engine. Allowing any wheel or
wheels to roll means that the rolling wheel has the potential to
supply at least SOME traction available to either slow or steer that
4-pt. hockey puck you are riding. If that rolling wheel has enough
traction to allow you to steer and regain control, then it can then be
used via brakes, etc. to attempt to slow the vehicle which is, by
definition, already moving. Once moving, 4WD does nothing for
stopping unless at least some of the wheels are rolling, indicating
that there is some additional friction available to be applied to
braking - by whatwver means you like.

That's all well and good for theory but like you, I doubt the average
driver, or even the highly skilled ones, has reaction times and
situational awareness enough to do much besides hold on when it's as
slick as we seem to be talking.

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:54:09 UTC "Earle Horton"

--
Will Honea
Old March 17th 06, 02:07 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I will agree. I have been in situations where all that would work was
the hand brake and 'really' slow so I still had steering while having
the door open so I could jump.....

Mike

Old March 17th 06, 03:55 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Heh, according to the statistics people, jumping is the last, most fatal
option. That is why seat belts are installed in motor vehicles--to keep the
people in the car. That said, sometimes it works.

Old March 17th 06, 04:23 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If I am sliding at 1/2 mile an hour toward that cliff and it just isn't
going to pull out, well..... Going over wasn't a survivable option.

Screw the seat belt, I have the door open... Only ever had to do that
twice, both times in the Canadian Rockies and both in the last 2wd truck
we owned before the Jeep.... That convinced us we needed a real 4x4 to
get out where we like to explore.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 18th 06, 03:53 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Whomever your teacher was never drove on ice very much. And no, engine
braking is a plot spread by the body shop and tow truck mafia to lure
the inexperienced.

4X4PLAY proclaimed:

Old March 18th 06, 04:08 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I'd guess it is theoretically true with the odds of being able to match
instantaneous engine speed to the slip speed being roughly equal to
those of being able to flap your arms enough to lift the vehicle into
the air to recover.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

> Hmm, if this is the case, then *theoretically* you can regain control by
> opening the throttle and speeding up the engine some. I have a physics
> degree, and I have been employed as an engineer and as a mechanic. I can
> assure you, that *theoretically* this makes sense. I am not going to try it
> any time soon though.
>
> Earle
>
> "Vince Hodgson" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>0K, here's the thing....
>>doesn't matter what you do, if you are starting to slide and its in gear

> and
>
>>your foots off the brake, your tires are still turning, just not turning
>>fast enough.
>>
>>therefore, you might as well be slamming on the binders, cause your not in
>>control anymore.
>>
>>best bet in any situation it to slap it into neutral and use the brakes.
>>that way the tires keep turning at the right speed and you can start to
>>regain control with the brake peddle.
>>
>>just my 0.2 cents. had an ice situation happen in 4wd and did 360's down

>>hill (no brakes) and I definitely know if I kicked it into neutral or
>>pushed in the clutch, i could have regained control again.
roups.com...

Old March 18th 06, 04:11 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Good thing to do for anyone wanting to drive on ice and snow that also
desires wrinkle free fenders. Parking lots work as long as they don't
have any curbs or posts. Both beat high speed skidpad training where a
mistake tends to have somewhat more awe inspiring consequences.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

> [...]
>>XJ's owners manuals. Hmm.....
>>
>>What worked in your 2 wheel drive cruiser was right for the cruiser.
>>Neutral can save your butt when the proportioning valve won't lock the
>>rear drive wheels and they want to push you on through the intersection.
>>
>>As a cop, I 'highly' doubt you were trained in 4x4 control. It is
>>'nothing' like controlling a rear wheel drive cruiser, not even close.
>>Even a front wheel drive car reacts different than the rear wheel drive
>>cruiser. With the front wheel drive you 'give' it gas to control a
>>corner and your steering. In a part time 4x4 system, when you lock the
>>front brakes, All 4 wheels lock up and you go sideways faster than you
>>can blink. That is why you see a lot of them in the ditch on exit
>>ramps. They went to neutral and hit the brakes to slow down because
>>they 'heard that works' and zing, there they be in the ditch.
>>
>>As a cop you also should be aware that coasting downhill in neutral is
>>totally illegal for the reason you cannot hold control of the vehicle.
>>The suspension unloads and floats and you lose any engine braking
>>control.
>>
>>I am serious when I said I take out groups of Jeepers to learn how to
>>control their Jeeps in snow and ice. I have done a lot of trips with
>>bunches of them posted on the net at alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4.
>>
>>I have tried the stopping at a mark test many many times and have tried
>>all combinations to get stopped. In gear with no brakes until the last
>>second still works best.
>>
>>I 'highly' recommend folks hit an empty parking lot come first good snow
>>and try their 4x4 out. It will amaze and scare them with what can
>>happen fast. Be prepared to answer the cop correctly by saying you are
>>learning 4x4 when he accuses you of 'stunting' in the parking lot. ;-)
>>
>>Mike
>>
>>Spdloader wrote:
>>
>>>I have saved myself from accidents more times than I can count by

> shifting
>
>>>to neutral, from an automatic or standard transmission.
>>>
>>>I learned this driving technique when I was trained to be a law

> enforcement
>
>>>officer twenty years ago, by people trained and qualified to do so, not

> by
>
>>>someone that thinks what works for him in his Jeep is best for everyone.
>>>
>>> Shifting to neutral does not automatically make you "out of control" as

> you
>
>>>put it, but, helps regain control of the vehicle.
>>>
>>>Accelerating to regain control is not the correct answer if you are

> trying
>
>>>to STOP the vehicle. You're just making things worse.
>>>
>>>Try it next time you are on ice or a slick road and pulling up to an
>>>intersection, or coming up on a situation where you must stop or turn.

> Shift
>
>>>into neutral and see for yourself under which circumstances you maintain

legroups.com...

Old March 18th 06, 04:11 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mike Romain proclaimed:

> [...]
>>>totally illegal for the reason you cannot hold control of the vehicle.
>>>The suspension unloads and floats and you lose any engine braking
>>>control.
>>>
>>>I am serious when I said I take out groups of Jeepers to learn how to
>>>control their Jeeps in snow and ice. I have done a lot of trips with
>>>bunches of them posted on the net at alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4.
>>>
>>>I have tried the stopping at a mark test many many times and have tried
>>>all combinations to get stopped. In gear with no brakes until the last
>>>second still works best.
>>>
>>>I 'highly' recommend folks hit an empty parking lot come first good snow
>>>and try their 4x4 out. It will amaze and scare them with what can
>>>happen fast. Be prepared to answer the cop correctly by saying you are
>>>learning 4x4 when he accuses you of 'stunting' in the parking lot. ;-)

glegroups.com...

>>low

Close Call on CA-17 Geoff Miller Driving 2 January 9th 06 02:38 AM
Close Call on CA-17 223rem Driving 0 January 7th 06 12:58 PM
my dirty disk won't call before I lift it Georgette Lewis General 0 January 14th 05 09:39 PM
we call the cold cloud Edith General 0 January 14th 05 09:00 PM
some inner outer pens hatefully pull as the pathetic envelopes call [email protected] Technology 0 January 14th 05 08:08 PM