New Tools.

Old January 13th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default New Tools.

I was reading the Car Clinic section in my snail mail February 2010
Popular Mechanics magazine.

Powerbuilt Digital Torque Adapter, cost about $50.00 (for calibrating
torque wrenches) and, OK Spark Plug Sensor.
Magazine article doesn't give the websites of those two tools, easy
enough to look them up on the web.

I don't use a torque wrench often, I want to buy a OK Spark Plug Sensor
though.
cuhulin

Old January 14th 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Heron McKeister

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> "Don Stauffer" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
> >> I was reading the Car Clinic section in my snail mail February 2010
> >> Popular Mechanics magazine.
> >>
> >> Powerbuilt Digital Torque Adapter, cost about $50.00 (for
> >> calibrating
> >> torque wrenches) and, OK Spark Plug Sensor.
> >> Magazine article doesn't give the websites of those two tools, easy
> >> enough to look them up on the web.
> >>
> >> I don't use a torque wrench often, I want to buy a OK Spark Plug
> >> Sensor
> >> though.
> >> cuhulin
> >>

> > What does the spark plug sensor do? Indicate you have a spark plug
> > threaded into the hole?

> They make (or at least used to make) a little inductive pen-like thing
> that you could hold next to a sparkplug wire. It would light up if
> there was high voltage current flowing through the wire indicating
> that the plug was firing. I used to have one. It has been years since
> I used it. I doubt I could find it. I have used an inductive pick-up
> timing light for the same thing. Clamp the pick-up over a spark plug
> wire. If the timing light fires, the plug is most likely firinig. Just
> shift from plug wire to plug wire until all are checked.
>
> Ed

They were (are?) known as the Champion Firing Indicator.
My two are actually CT-436 versions, although they bear
the same patent number as in the below YouTube video.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yk36sq2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUb_d_bUi3s

Old January 14th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"Heron McKeister" > wrote in message
> "C. E. White" > wrote in message

>> > What does the spark plug sensor do? Indicate you have a spark
>> > plug
>> > threaded into the hole?

>> They make (or at least used to make) a little inductive pen-like
>> thing
>> that you could hold next to a sparkplug wire. It would light up if
>> there was high voltage current flowing through the wire indicating
>> that the plug was firing. I used to have one. It has been years
>> since
>> I used it. I doubt I could find it. I have used an inductive
>> pick-up
>> timing light for the same thing. Clamp the pick-up over a spark
>> plug
>> wire. If the timing light fires, the plug is most likely firinig.
>> Just
>> shift from plug wire to plug wire until all are checked.
>>
>> Ed

> They were (are?) known as the Champion Firing Indicator.
> My two are actually CT-436 versions, although they bear
> the same patent number as in the below YouTube video.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yk36sq2
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUb_d_bUi3s

Yep - that is exactly what I have (had?).

Ed

Old January 14th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

http://www.okspark.com

I have one of those inductive pen light thingys, for checking
spark.Another factory made device/tool I have looks sort of like a spark
plug and it has an alligator clip on it.

Have you ever got a shock from a lawn mower spark plug? That is another
way to check for spark plug voltage.I don't reccomend that though.
cuhulin

Old January 14th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

$219.95 for an OK Spark Sensor.They are Proud of that little jewel.I
reckon I don't need one after all.
cuhulin

Old January 15th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:

http://www.okspark.com

> I have one of those inductive pen light thingys, for checking
> spark.Another factory made device/tool I have looks sort of like a spark
> plug and it has an alligator clip on it.
>
> Have you ever got a shock from a lawn mower spark plug? That is another
> way to check for spark plug voltage.I don't reccomend that though.
> cuhulin

I got nailed by my '55 in the process of converting from an old points
dizzy to one with a MoPar pickup and "orange box." The difference
between the two is one you can feel.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

which tools ummm_sexy Honda 0 August 6th 07 08:55 PM
tools curbrider VW water cooled 1 July 8th 06 01:10 PM
What are the best tools to buy? C.Read BMW 5 May 23rd 06 01:53 AM
Useful Tools Jan VW air cooled 2 July 29th 05 02:20 PM
New tools, They don't want you to have. R Audi 1 June 17th 04 10:33 PM