MORE 94 WRANGLER TITE QUESTIONS

Old January 28th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default MORE 94 WRANGLER TITE QUESTIONS

'Four-Wheeler's Bible' states that a 31x10.50 tire can be used on a Wrangler
YJ without any vehicle lift needed. My question then is what wheels would be
needed for this size tire. The local Jeep dealer tells me they could be
mounted on stock wheels but it would not be the right way to go. A wider
wheel being a better choice. Assuming that to be true how wide a wheel? Does
it need some offset? Help!

Old January 28th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"INDIVIDUAL" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> 'Four-Wheeler's Bible' states that a 31x10.50 tire can be used on a

Wrangler
> YJ without any vehicle lift needed. My question then is what wheels would

be
> needed for this size tire. The local Jeep dealer tells me they could be
> mounted on stock wheels but it would not be the right way to go. A wider
> wheel being a better choice. Assuming that to be true how wide a wheel?

Does
> it need some offset? Help!

31x10.50s worked find on my stock XJ's rims... Of course, the XJ needed 3+
inches of lift to fit 'em, but that's pretty much to be expected..

Just curious, but can the TJ fit 31x10.50s without a lift kit?

Old January 28th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You could fit the 31's on the YJ, but they will rub a bit. You could get TJ
flares or just trim your flares a bit and they should fit fine. I think 31's
will fit a stock TJ w/o lifting. If they didn't fit, a 1" spring spacer is
easy and cheap to install.

Carl

Old January 28th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Book list 31x10.5 as max without lift for YJ and TJ

Old January 28th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Book is wrong or the YJ has no gas in the tank, no back seat, no gear,
no doors or top and a 'really' small person driving it..... Book should
read CJ's and TJ's fit 31's stock, the YJ has flat springs for that
softer ride.

They, 31's will hit when you stuff them and they will hit when you make
a turn. The turn hitting can be fixed by adjusting the steering stops
to give you a larger turning radius. Think 5 point turns instead of 3
point turns... No fix for the stuff scuff except body work or a lift.
On the rear, 31's just plain hit.

You have too many threads going on so I will answer all here. The rim
size is stamped on the back of the rim face, check the spare. It will
either be 7" or 8" if stock.

A 7" rim can take a 10.5" tire with no issues and just a little sidewall
bulge, the 9.5's fits perfect, the 8" rim can take up to a 12.5" tire.
The bulge on the sidewall helps from knocking the tire off the rim or
packing the rim with dirt.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 28th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I am new to the world of Jeeps and off roading, as is probably clear. The
book could easily be wrong and that's why I ask about it here. The
'hands-on' experience of people is usually the best answer to get for
problems. People like Mike are what makes this group worth posting to and
reading. Thanks for the info Mike!

Old January 29th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

A freind of mine just bought an 88 YJ, no lift and original springs, it
has my daughter's old, near new 31" x 10.5"( old because she got new 33" BFG
MTs ) no rubbing, so yes 31s will fit fine.

Old January 29th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I have seen 2 here and both were ok on the paved road, but if they went
off road they hit.

Mike

Old January 29th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

My '94 has 31 X 10.50's mounted on 15 X 10 Outlaw II rims and they fit fine,
no rubbing, on or off road. Stock suspension.

Spdloader

Old January 29th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"INDIVIDUAL" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> 'Four-Wheeler's Bible' states that a 31x10.50 tire can be used on a
> Wrangler YJ without any vehicle lift needed. My question then is what
> wheels would be needed for this size tire.

The factory wheels can be used. Your dealership is interested in selling
rims that you do not need.

CAVEAT
In the unlikely event that you have the very narrow and small tires used on
the Base Model YJ, you could (that's c-o-u-l-d) have trouble with a 10.5
wide tire, in this case you can buy new rims that are 8 inches wide for $27
each in white or black, or $30 in chrome, and be good to go.