Combustion Leak test - head gasket test

Old May 17th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Combustion Leak test - head gasket test

On a 1999 300m -Finally successfully diagnosed combustion gas leaking
past my head gasket into coolant causing overheating. Used the Napa
Block Test kit for $50. Many posts say go to your neighborhood garage
and get them to use an exaust analyzer - dont know what that would
cost.

My Napa Store did not know anything about this test kit and could not
find it on their computer so here is a site and part number you can
show them
http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/hea..._leak_test.htm
part number700-1006.

Be sure to drain a few inches of coolant before installing this thing
on your radiator (or pressure bottle) opening. . Keep watching the
tube as the car warms up and gases go through. If you have combustion
gas, the fluid in the tube turns yellow.

Now, about that head gasket...

Old May 18th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

wrote:

> On a 1999 300m -Finally successfully diagnosed combustion gas leaking
> past my head gasket into coolant causing overheating. Used the Napa
> Block Test kit for $50. Many posts say go to your neighborhood garage
> and get them to use an exaust analyzer - dont know what that would
> cost.
>
> My Napa Store did not know anything about this test kit and could not
> find it on their computer so here is a site and part number you can
> show them

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/hea..._leak_test.htm
> part number700-1006.
>
> Be sure to drain a few inches of coolant before installing this thing
> on your radiator (or pressure bottle) opening. . Keep watching the
> tube as the car warms up and gases go through. If you have combustion
> gas, the fluid in the tube turns yellow.
>
> Now, about that head gasket...

Three or four years ago, I read on a Subaru forum the account of someone
who had experimentally but successfully used a CO2 detecting pill (sold
for detecting leaking house furnaces) to detect combustion gases getting
into the cooling system. Not a proven accurate method - I'd probably
use what you did if the need arose - just food for thought.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

AWA [OFFER] HEAD GASKET [email protected] General 0 March 15th 06 12:52 PM
Oil leak from the cylinder head cover gasket preps BMW 0 December 5th 05 04:40 PM
96 Chevy Cavalier - white gunk on dipstick - head gasket? [email protected] Technology 6 November 29th 05 03:50 AM
head gasket leak? dumdum Chrysler 0 November 20th 05 10:52 PM
Might be a blown head gasket, might not... How to tell? Don Bruder Technology 10 February 4th 05 03:54 PM