transmission neutral coasting

Old August 14th 05, 02:16 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

Default transmission neutral coasting

I like to put my transmission in neutral while I'm coasting down the west
side of Snoqualmie Pass. It's about a five mile coast, then the car slows
down to below 60 MPH when I then shift back into drive. Is this good or bad
for the transmission?

Old August 14th 05, 02:28 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mexican overdrive is illegal in Kalifornia:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21710.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 14th 05, 02:50 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

LOL I understand that, but fortunately I don't live in california. I
have a friend who posted that question, and a co-worker told him that if he
put his tranny in neutral, and coasted down a hill, and then put it back into
drive at the bottom, it would harm his tranny.........sounds reasonable, but
I told him to type his question here, to hear what the experts have to say....
thanks bill, probably illegal here in washington tooooo, but so is alot of
other things we do daily,.......

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 14th 05, 03:00 AM
DougW

Robb S via CarKB.com did pass the time by typing:
> LOL I understand that, but fortunately I don't live in california. I
> have a friend who posted that question, and a co-worker told him that if he
> put his tranny in neutral, and coasted down a hill, and then put it back into
> drive at the bottom, it would harm his tranny.........sounds reasonable, but
> I told him to type his question here, to hear what the experts have to say....

The engine is still turning the tranny vs towing so no damage will occur.

What will happen is the vehicle suspension becomes unloaded and hard to control.
Small bumps will now cause great swings in the suspension and that's why it's
illegal to drive like that. Heck, if the hill is that steep the vehicle will
coast in gear anyway and using the engine to keep speed in control is easier
on your vehicle than riding the brakes.

--
DougW

Old August 14th 05, 03:01 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I can't think of any harm, as the engine is still turning the
cluster in neutral. Towing in neutral will take out the out put
bearings.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 14th 05, 05:14 AM
Earle Horton

That's a long hill he's talking about too. Lots of the time there is no one
else on it, but after a big ski weekend it can be bumper to bumper.

Earle

Old August 15th 05, 05:40 PM
J Strickland

It's bad, and it's illegal.

"Robb S via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
>I like to put my transmission in neutral while I'm coasting down the west
> side of Snoqualmie Pass. It's about a five mile coast, then the car slows
> down to below 60 MPH when I then shift back into drive. Is this good or
> bad
> for the transmission?

90 Grand Voyager Transmission fluid [email protected] Chrysler 11 April 18th 05 01:34 AM
transmission flushes? Magnulus Driving 2 March 10th 05 05:33 AM
1997 civic transmission or ecu problem ?? Matt Honda 1 October 10th 04 05:00 PM
2000 C5, 50k miles, 6-spd, transmission noise Alex J. Avriette Corvette 4 August 31st 04 01:35 AM