Oil In Intake

Old October 20th 04, 12:54 AM
Kent

Default Oil In Intake

I disassembled my intake system today to check for air leaks, as my car has
been idling a bit rough. I was surprised to find a good deal of oil coating
the inside of the intake plumbing up to at least the throttle body, with oil
on the air flow sensor plate and saturating one side of the air filter under
the sensor plate. The screen above the plate also had a good deal of oil on
it. Can someone give me an idea of what's gone wrong here? TIA.

--
Kent
1987 VW GTI 8V, original owner, 221,600+ miles

Old October 20th 04, 02:17 AM
Matt B.

"Kent" > wrote in message
>I disassembled my intake system today to check for air leaks, as my car has
> been idling a bit rough. I was surprised to find a good deal of oil
> coating
> the inside of the intake plumbing up to at least the throttle body, with
> oil
> on the air flow sensor plate and saturating one side of the air filter
> under
> the sensor plate. The screen above the plate also had a good deal of oil
> on
> it. Can someone give me an idea of what's gone wrong here? TIA.

This is normal and typical. I found the same in my '91 GTI. This comes in
through the PCV valve atop the valve cover.

Old October 20th 04, 03:56 AM

I supect if you rev the engine up a lot you will get more of this. If
your valve guides are worn you may get more of this. In the Rabbit
engines one way to reduce this was to install a splashguard over the
valve train. Splashguards were found on some diesels and on the 85 and
later engines. How much later I don't know. I have had some oil but
not a lot as I generally did not drive the car like I stole it.

ent" > wrote:

>I disassembled my intake system today to check for air leaks, as my car has
>been idling a bit rough. I was surprised to find a good deal of oil coating
>the inside of the intake plumbing up to at least the throttle body, with oil
>on the air flow sensor plate and saturating one side of the air filter under
>the sensor plate. The screen above the plate also had a good deal of oil on
>it. Can someone give me an idea of what's gone wrong here? TIA.

Jim B.
Old October 20th 04, 04:40 AM
Kent

My car has a splashguard. I don't recall having this much oil on the air
filter in the past, so it really got my attention. What is the mechanism by
which leaking valve guides contribute to oil in the intake syatem? If my
valve guides (or seals) were bad, wouldn't I be burning oil too? The car
never smokes and I rarely need to add oil between changes.

--
Kent
1987 VW GTI 8V, original owner, 221,500+ miles

Old October 20th 04, 12:32 PM

Combustion pressure leaks past valves and guides increasing crankcase
pressure.

My hose had a restrictor plug in it. Does yours?

My car never smokes but I have found that Mobil 1 does not smoke even
when you have an engine that burns oil.

What kind of readings do you get with the leakdown tester?

"Kent" > wrote:

>My car has a splashguard. I don't recall having this much oil on the air
>filter in the past, so it really got my attention. What is the mechanism by
>which leaking valve guides contribute to oil in the intake syatem? If my
>valve guides (or seals) were bad, wouldn't I be burning oil too? The car
>never smokes and I rarely need to add oil between changes.
>
>--
>Kent
>1987 VW GTI 8V, original owner, 221,500+ miles
>

> wrote in message
.. .
>> I supect if you rev the engine up a lot you will get more of this. If
>> your valve guides are worn you may get more of this. In the Rabbit
>> engines one way to reduce this was to install a splashguard over the
>> valve train. Splashguards were found on some diesels and on the 85 and
>> later engines. How much later I don't know. I have had some oil but
>> not a lot as I generally did not drive the car like I stole it.
>>
>> ent" > wrote:
>>
>> >I disassembled my intake system today to check for air leaks, as my car

>has
>> >been idling a bit rough. I was surprised to find a good deal of oil

>coating
>> >the inside of the intake plumbing up to at least the throttle body, with

>oil
>> >on the air flow sensor plate and saturating one side of the air filter

>under
>> >the sensor plate. The screen above the plate also had a good deal of oil

>on
>> >it. Can someone give me an idea of what's gone wrong here? TIA.

>> Jim B.

Jim B.