1995 Golf Ignition/Accessory Problem

Old October 16th 04, 03:44 PM
Sm704

Default 1995 Golf Ignition/Accessory Problem

I own a 1995 Golf III, and I've been having a very weird problem with
the ignition mechanism. I baught my Golf used, and it did not have a
radio (the owner took it out). I decided to install my own radio, but
to my surprise, when I put the key in the ignition, the radio's light
blinks then goes out. I can't get the radio on at all. I double
checked my connections, and everything was connected properly. One
thing I did I notice was, if I keep pressure on the key into the
ignition, the radio works fine. When I relieve the pressure, the radio
goes dead again.

Is this a sign of a bad ignition switch, or does it sound more like a
wiring problem related to the accessory wire? One other thing I should
note: when I start the car, the radio doesn't work either.
Old October 17th 04, 02:58 AM
dave

>From: (Sm704)
>
>I own a 1995 Golf III, and I've been having a very weird problem with
>the ignition mechanism. I baught my Golf used, and it did not have a
>radio (the owner took it out). I decided to install my own radio, but
>to my surprise, when I put the key in the ignition, the radio's light
>blinks then goes out. I can't get the radio on at all. I double
>checked my connections, and everything was connected properly. One
>thing I did I notice was, if I keep pressure on the key into the
>ignition, the radio works fine. When I relieve the pressure, the radio
>goes dead again.
>
>Is this a sign of a bad ignition switch, or does it sound more like a
>wiring problem related to the accessory wire? One other thing I should
>note: when I start the car, the radio doesn't work either.

It is possible that the ign switch is bad. You could easily try another. ;-)
Now which position is the switch in when you apply pressure and the radio comes
on?
Is the ign. switch in the 'ON' position?

FYI
I have taken the ign. switch (electric portion) out of my 91 Passat and
replaced a broken/burnt up spring inside of it with a good spring out of
another bad switch.
I also had a radio, and other electrical components, not function sometimes
before I repaired my switch.

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old October 17th 04, 07:50 PM
Sm704

"dave" > wrote:

<snip>

> Now which position is the switch in when you apply pressure and the radio

comes
> on?
> Is the ign. switch in the 'ON' position?

No, it's in the 'OFF' position.