Check engine light

Old September 9th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

Default Check engine light

My "check engine" light came on and is staying on for my 98 Cherokee
with 74,000 miles. The manual is sort of vague on what the light
might mean.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Thanks,

Larry
Old September 9th 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Airport Shuttle[_14_]

Most parts stores will turn the light out and check the codes for free.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old September 12th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

Larry wrote:
> My "check engine" light came on and is staying on for my 98 Cherokee
> with 74,000 miles. The manual is sort of vague on what the light
> might mean.
>
> Has anyone else had experience with this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

I got a code reader from Harbor Freight. It will read and reset the codes and monitors.
Old September 12th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke

On 9/11/2010 8:59 PM, Scott in Baltimore wrote:
> Larry wrote:
>> My "check engine" light came on and is staying on for my 98 Cherokee
>> with 74,000 miles. The manual is sort of vague on what the light
>> might mean.
>>
>> Has anyone else had experience with this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Larry

> I got a code reader from Harbor Freight. It will read and reset the
> codes and monitors.

Read <http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm> and see if one of those
methods works. If not then take it by Autozone if there is one nearby
and have them read the codes.
Old September 12th 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

>> I got a code reader from Harbor Freight. It will read and reset the
>> codes and monitors.

> Read <http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm> and see if one of those
> methods works. If not then take it by Autozone if there is one nearby
> and have them read the codes.

The flashing only gives an overview. The reader gives a more detailed
code. It is a place to start. My reader was $35 on sale at HF. Reads
all the cars I've tried it on. I only got the basic reader. You can
spend more for a fancy model. Good luck on fixing it quickly.
Old September 14th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Sep 11, 7:15*pm, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> On 9/11/2010 8:59 PM, Scott in Baltimore wrote:
>
> > Larry wrote:
> >> My "check engine" light came on and is staying on for my 98 Cherokee
> >> with 74,000 miles. The manual is sort of vague on what the light
> >> might mean.

> >> Has anyone else had experience with this?

> >> Thanks,

> >> Larry

> > I got a code reader from Harbor Freight. It will read and reset the
> > codes and monitors.

> Read <http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm> and see if one of those
> methods works. *If not then take it by Autozone if there is one nearby
> and have them read the codes.

I tried the following procedures:

1)For the 1998 to 2002 models you can access the trouble codes as
follows. Insert the key but do not turn. Fully depress the trip reset
button and hold down. Next turn the key to the on position three times
and then leave in the on position. Release trip reset button and the
gauges will flicker and the odometer will count down and then show the
trouble codes.

2)I have been told that some 1997's you don't need to use the trip
button but cycle the key off and on 5 times! Just try one way or the
other if it does not work for you.

and in both cases the number that came up was 34.4 that is 34
(decimal) 4.

I was not sure how to read that number.

Larry