Richard Burns Rally on Vista?

Old August 28th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rob P

Default Richard Burns Rally on Vista?

"Maat" > wrote in message
newsdDtk.50451$hx.32915@pd7urf3no...
> "Rob P" > wrote in
> :
>

>> I used to have Vista - twice. It kept suckering me in by its looks.
>> However, every time I went back to XP, pretty much all my games frame
>> rates went through the roof. These weren't minor changes either, these
>> were changes that was instantly noticeable
>>
>> My brother also had the same thing happen to him, so he has now
>> ditched Vista too.
>>
>> The scary bit is that all the so called 'review sites' claim that
>> games run at a similar speed on Vista, but given what me and my
>> brother have seen I can't see how that could be true.
>>
>> Maybe it's because we were using the 32bit version? - Who knows.
>>
>> RobP
>>

> Were you using older Nvidia video cards? I think Nvidia Vista drivers
> with older Nvidia card may have been the issue and not Vista. Recently
> tested out Nvidia 7950GX2 and it performed great in XP but was dismal on
> Vista64 on the same PC. Swapped card for 8800GT and the performance on
> both OS was comparable. That wasn't my PC though so should probably set
> up dual boot on my PC that has Vista64 and ATI 4870 and see if there is a
> difference or not. That requires a lot of work though but I guess I
> should do it to find out for sure.

I got a relativelly newish nVidia 8800GTX with 768Mb ram. The first time I
tried Vista was on release, so I wasn't expecting much. The second time was
a few months back and I still got a big performance hike.

I'm a stickler for keeping everything up to date, so I'm sure it's no longer
a driver issue.

For the moment I have put my Vista disk out of my reach to prevent any
lapses!

RobP

Old August 29th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Sean Black[_2_]

In message <c9Dtk.231102$gc5.152582@pd7urf2no>, Maat
> writes
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote in
ddress_disguised:

>> Interesting. I hope to avoid Vista altogether, but if I don't that's a
>> useful bit of info to store away. I'd always assumed that each dx release
>> was backwards compatible for at least a couple of iterations.
>>
>> Andrew McP
>>

>They are backwards compatible, except for DX10. It's mostly backwards
>compatible but not completely. Once you run dxwebsetup.exe it is though.

Can't get dxwebsetup to work at all, just keep getting an "internal
system error"

Managed to download and run a direct x setup, but that still hasn't
helped, maybe it's an issue with the 4850 or the drivers?

Back to the drawing board.
--
Sean Black
Old August 29th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
alexti[_2_]

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:46:31 +0100, Sean Black wrote:

> Just got a new PC with Vista, just trying out a few of my old sims to
> see how they go.
>
> Only one I've had any trouble with so far is Richard Burns Rally. Anyone
> managed to get it working on Vista?
>
> It installs, detects my video card (ATI 4850) but when I try to run it
> is says something along the lines of "No Direct3D card detected" and
> shuts down.

It works for me in Vista (NVidia card though). I don't think I had to do
anything unusual to get it run. I thought RBR runs on anything - it even
runs on Kubuntu
Old August 29th 08, 08:46 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Sean Black

In article <zKLtk.51280$hx.10969@pd7urf3no>, alexti
> writes
>On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:46:31 +0100, Sean Black wrote:
>
>> Just got a new PC with Vista, just trying out a few of my old sims to
>> see how they go.
>>
>> Only one I've had any trouble with so far is Richard Burns Rally. Anyone
>> managed to get it working on Vista?
>>
>> It installs, detects my video card (ATI 4850) but when I try to run it
>> is says something along the lines of "No Direct3D card detected" and
>> shuts down.

>It works for me in Vista (NVidia card though). I don't think I had to do
>anything unusual to get it run. I thought RBR runs on anything - it even
>runs on Kubuntu

That's probably about right, always been an NVidia guy up until now, but
I was recommended to go with the 4850 as it was the best bang for the
buck at the minute and now I've found I've probably got the only card
anywhere that RBR won't run on, LOL!!

I tried the GTR2 demo and that work fine, so I'll probably get hold of
that (had the 1st one, never got around to picking up the second).
Anything else good out there? (Been out of the loop for a while due to
not having a decent enough machine to run much new stuff)

--
Sean Black
Old August 29th 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin[_2_]

"Sean Black" > wrote in message
> In article <zKLtk.51280$hx.10969@pd7urf3no>, alexti
> > writes
>>On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:46:31 +0100, Sean Black wrote:
>>
>>> Just got a new PC with Vista, just trying out a few of my old sims to
>>> see how they go.
>>>
>>> Only one I've had any trouble with so far is Richard Burns Rally. Anyone
>>> managed to get it working on Vista?
>>>
>>> It installs, detects my video card (ATI 4850) but when I try to run it
>>> is says something along the lines of "No Direct3D card detected" and
>>> shuts down.

>>It works for me in Vista (NVidia card though). I don't think I had to do
>>anything unusual to get it run. I thought RBR runs on anything - it even
>>runs on Kubuntu

> That's probably about right, always been an NVidia guy up until now, but I
> was recommended to go with the 4850 as it was the best bang for the buck
> at the minute and now I've found I've probably got the only card anywhere
> that RBR won't run on, LOL!!
>
> I tried the GTR2 demo and that work fine, so I'll probably get hold of
> that (had the 1st one, never got around to picking up the second).
> Anything else good out there? (Been out of the loop for a while due to not
> having a decent enough machine to run much new stuff)
>

> --
> Sean Black

Make sure to try the Power and Glory mod to GTR2. Some great old cars there.

Ed

Old August 30th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Maat

Sean Black > wrote in
:

> Can't get dxwebsetup to work at all, just keep getting an "internal
> system error"
>
> Managed to download and run a direct x setup, but that still hasn't
> helped, maybe it's an issue with the 4850 or the drivers?
>
> Back to the drawing board.

I ran it fine on Vista64 with 4870 card. Something is wrong with your PC.
Old September 1st 08, 09:08 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Sean Black

In article <QT0uk.234142$gc5.227621@pd7urf2no>, Maat
:

>> Can't get dxwebsetup to work at all, just keep getting an "internal
>> system error"
>>
>> Managed to download and run a direct x setup, but that still hasn't
>> helped, maybe it's an issue with the 4850 or the drivers?
>>
>> Back to the drawing board.

>I ran it fine on Vista64 with 4870 card. Something is wrong with your PC.

Sorted now :-)

I ran DX9 off another game disc and also ran RBR straight after install,
whereas before I'd been installing it then applying the patch and then
trying to run it. So not sure which one fixed it or if it was a
combination of the two, but it's working.

It remains to be seen if it was worth the effort, but in the long run
the DX9 thing may prevent other problems in the future.
--
Sean Black
Old September 2nd 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Scallywag

Sean Black > wrote in news:hDs4kTAWM6uIFwP3
@virgin.net:

> It remains to be seen if it was worth the effort, but in the long run
> the DX9 thing may prevent other problems in the future.

Yes, but Directx gets updates fairly frequently so if you want to avoid
issues with newer games you want to investigate why dxwebsetup.exe won't
run for you. Last update to Directx was August, 2008.
Old September 2nd 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Scallywag

Sean Black > wrote in
:

> I tried the GTR2 demo and that work fine, so I'll probably get hold of
> that (had the 1st one, never got around to picking up the second).
> Anything else good out there? (Been out of the loop for a while due to
> not having a decent enough machine to run much new stuff)

Get Race07 with GTR Evolution addon and get rFactor.
Old September 3rd 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Sean Black

In article >, Scallywag >
writes
:

>> I tried the GTR2 demo and that work fine, so I'll probably get hold of
>> that (had the 1st one, never got around to picking up the second).
>> Anything else good out there? (Been out of the loop for a while due to
>> not having a decent enough machine to run much new stuff)
>>

>Get Race07 with GTR Evolution addon and get rFactor.

Got Race07/GTR Evolution on order will look into rFactor.
--
Sean Black