NFS Shift tips and comments

Old September 17th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

Default NFS Shift tips and comments

First the tips:

If you have trouble with drifting, set the driving mode to casual,
the game's auto-steering and auto-throttle/brake makes is seem that
your driving with a different set of physics (or maybe the physics
is changed). You only need to steer a bit, and you can hold the
throttle down most of the time.

If you want all stars, the "clean lap" stars on sprint tracks, like
sections of Nordschleife are near impossible. After winning, you
can re-run the event and stay behind the AI to get the clean lap star,
but you'll get a loss in your stats. There is also a trainer that
will mess up the AI.

Comments:

I'm barely into tier 2 events. I have a "works" Mustang GT, but a
stage 3 Carerra GT is faster on a track, and as shown in the numbers,
although the bars for the Mustang GT are longer. The "work" upgrade
was unlocked before I unlocked tier 4, so maybe there's a bug.

Upgrades on the 350Z and the Carerra GT, make them overpowered compared
to the grip. Even with traction control set to high, you need to go
easy on the throttle.

Fastest car I tried so far was the Zonda R in an invitational event.

As mentioned you spend a lot of time waiting for menu's to load. I'm
not sure what the issue is.

Old September 18th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...need-for/55938

Old September 18th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> I upgraded the 350z without about 150k's worth of winnings

With upgrades, it ends up traction limited. Even with traction control
on, it still too much power for the grip it has. Not a fun car to drive
on the tigher tracks.

As mentioned before each car is like a different game. So far, most of the
cars with a "W", meaning you can upgrade to "works" level, end up with
a better power versus grip balance.

> jiggle

Actually I though the recent addition of jiggle effect was put to much
better use on Lara Croft in the latest Tomb Raider games.

For the tier 2 cars, the RX7 is a "works" car, but it ends up traction
limited, so you end up using 5th and 6th gears instead of the lower gears.

When you get to drift events, before entering the event, go to the gameplay
driver setup and select "casual", which enables "auto-drive", unless you're
a glutton for frustration at trying to get some of the cars to drift well.

Based on my testing, the best tier 2 car with "works" upgrade is the newer
Camaro SS, it ends up with a rating of 14.00.

For tuning, I recommend setting tire pressures at 30, or maybe 29 psi,
and changing the damper fast rebound rates to max stiff to prevent cars
from bouncing (the "works" Camaro SS has this issue on some tracks).

Old September 18th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

"Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> (schooner) wrote:
>
>> The main feature I hate about these games and all console racers,
>> using winnings to upgrade the cars.

> Thinking about this again, you could argue -- if particularly awkward,
> like me ;-)
> -- that the series in iRacing are equally annoying hurdles. At least I
> don't have
> to wait 13 weeks to earn my next badge in Shift. :-)
>
> And I care for the badges/tiers etc. in Shift almost as much as I care for
> the
> divisions, stats, and assorted pseudo-real series progression in
> iRacing... ie not
> at all. It's just noise in the background in both games, and I just ignore
> it until
> it gets in my way and I have to take it seriously enough to get over the
> next
> hurdle.
>
> In iRacing that's in order to be allowed to race a faster car against more
> than my
> shadow and the Stephane's HUD util. In Shift it's to open up access to
> faster cars.
> They are obviously different projects, but they also have a lot in common.
> I am
> equally annoyed at the things I dislike in both titles.
>
> Andrew McP

I see little in common with Shift and iRacing beyond they both involve
racing, totalt different games all together.
Shift is a sprint race/tuner game it appears to me. iRacing is a graduated
license racing series with stock race cars on real tracks.

Old September 19th 09, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

"Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> (schooner) wrote:
>
>> The main feature I hate about these games and all console racers,
>> using winnings to upgrade the cars.

> Thinking about this again, you could argue -- if particularly awkward,
> like me ;-)
> -- that the series in iRacing are equally annoying hurdles. At least I
> don't have
> to wait 13 weeks to earn my next badge in Shift. :-)
>
> And I care for the badges/tiers etc. in Shift almost as much as I care for
> the
> divisions, stats, and assorted pseudo-real series progression in
> iRacing... ie not
> at all. It's just noise in the background in both games, and I just ignore
> it until
> it gets in my way and I have to take it seriously enough to get over the
> next
> hurdle.
>
> In iRacing that's in order to be allowed to race a faster car against more
> than my
> shadow and the Stephane's HUD util. In Shift it's to open up access to
> faster cars.
> They are obviously different projects, but they also have a lot in common.
> I am
> equally annoyed at the things I dislike in both titles.
>
> Andrew McP

FYI -
http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=29123795

I don't have the game so can't say if it works but I've seen various posts
saying it does fix some of the issues.

Old September 19th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(schooner) wrote:

> FYI -
http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=29123795

Thanks. The complication here -- as with all Shift discussion -- is always having
to check whether people are using gamepads or wheels, and which wheel. Nightmare. I
never had this trouble with iRacing. :-)

There is a complicated 'web' of settings to play with, including things like the
steering lock buried in the car setup screens. It may take quite a while to find a
combination which hits the control nail squarely on the head, and I suspect
everyone will have their own preferences.

So far though I think it's worth persevering with. I really am *incredibly*
impressed by the depth of the overall racing experience. I am spending the vast
majority of my time at the Nordschleife though. (Perhaps my addiction to that track
is part of my delusional enthusiasm. :-) The career mode stuff is just a chore I
have to go through in order to experiment with some upgraded/improved cars.

Andrew McP

Your Comments would be welcome Tall Dave Alfa Romeo 4 July 3rd 09 11:28 AM
Comments Please: BryanUT VW air cooled 1 November 7th 06 03:01 PM
325i 92 Automatic shift problem - will not shift into Park Jeffrey BMW 1 September 22nd 06 03:24 PM
Comments on '97 through '02 SL1 & SL2? Bob Shuman Saturn 5 May 23rd 06 05:14 AM
X3 comments??? mike BMW 20 December 3rd 04 01:40 AM