Swapping D44 into ABS jeep

Old October 4th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

Default Swapping D44 into ABS jeep

What would be the complications of swapping a non ABS D44 into an ABS
jeep? Would the system still work with the rear sensors disconnected?

Thanks

Old October 4th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

No, the system would not work.

Well, the BRAKE system would work fine, but the anti-lock feature would not
work. To retain the ABS, you would need to modify the axles so that you
could put a tone ring back in.

Depending upon where you live, this -- putting the ABS system back
together -- is a complete waste of time and money. The D44 is a good
upgrade, but I'm not convinced that ABS is a necessary system. If you lost
the ABS, your life would not change very much.

Be sure you gear the D44 to match your D30 on the front axle.

oups.com...

Old October 4th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Oct 4, 12:03 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> No, the system would not work.
>
> Well, the BRAKE system would work fine, but the anti-lock feature would not
> work. To retain the ABS, you would need to modify the axles so that you
> could put a tone ring back in.
>
> Depending upon where you live, this -- putting the ABS system back
> together -- is a complete waste of time and money. The D44 is a good
> upgrade, but I'm not convinced that ABS is a necessary system. If you lost
> the ABS, your life would not change very much.
>
> Be sure you gear the D44 to match your D30 on the front axle.
>
> "nrs" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > What would be the complications of swapping a non ABS D44 into an ABS
> > jeep? Would the system still work with the rear sensors disconnected?

> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I don't care about having ABS. Can it be disabled or removed easily?
Thanks

Old October 4th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

"nrs" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 4, 12:03 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
>> No, the system would not work.
>>
>> Well, the BRAKE system would work fine, but the anti-lock feature would
>> not
>> work. To retain the ABS, you would need to modify the axles so that you
>> could put a tone ring back in.
>>
>> Depending upon where you live, this -- putting the ABS system back
>> together -- is a complete waste of time and money. The D44 is a good
>> upgrade, but I'm not convinced that ABS is a necessary system. If you
>> lost
>> the ABS, your life would not change very much.
>>
>> Be sure you gear the D44 to match your D30 on the front axle.
>>
>> "nrs" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> > What would be the complications of swapping a non ABS D44 into an ABS
>> > jeep? Would the system still work with the rear sensors disconnected?

>> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> I don't care about having ABS. Can it be disabled or removed easily?
> Thanks

The system will disable itself. That is, the brakes will work perfectly
fine, just not with ABS. If the ABS light is lit on the instrument cluster,
then you might have to pull a fuse or relay, but there is nothing that needs
to be done to the plumbing. You could go Top Shelf and remove the ABS valve
body and whatever compressor thingy might be there, but the only problem
with leaving the stuff in place is hauling around the weight.

They make D44s that can accomodate the ABS system ...

But, your original question was, what would be the complications? There
would be no complications that arise from the brake system. The brakes
themselves -- size, shape, that sort of thing -- might be a complication of
sorts, but once you manage to get the brake pipe to connect to the brake
hoses on the axle, the rest of the stuff will already be in place.

The ABS works by sensors detecting that a tire has stopped rolling, and
brake pressure to that tire is released so it can roll again. If there is no
sensor, then the tire will simply stop rolling if the brakes are applied
heavily. No big deal.

The ABS system might look for the sensors, and when they are not found it
may turn the light on to warn you that ABS is not working. The complication
is finding the fuse or relay that turns the light off.

Old October 4th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Oct 4, 12:19 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> "nrs" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Oct 4, 12:03 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> >> No, the system would not work.

> >> Well, the BRAKE system would work fine, but the anti-lock feature would
> >> not
> >> work. To retain the ABS, you would need to modify the axles so that you
> >> could put a tone ring back in.

> >> Depending upon where you live, this -- putting the ABS system back
> >> together -- is a complete waste of time and money. The D44 is a good
> >> upgrade, but I'm not convinced that ABS is a necessary system. If you
> >> lost
> >> the ABS, your life would not change very much.

> >> Be sure you gear the D44 to match your D30 on the front axle.

> >> "nrs" > wrote in message

> groups.com...

> > I don't care about having ABS. Can it be disabled or removed easily?
> > Thanks

> The system will disable itself. That is, the brakes will work perfectly
> fine, just not with ABS. If the ABS light is lit on the instrument cluster,
> then you might have to pull a fuse or relay, but there is nothing that needs
> to be done to the plumbing. You could go Top Shelf and remove the ABS valve
> body and whatever compressor thingy might be there, but the only problem
> with leaving the stuff in place is hauling around the weight.
>
> They make D44s that can accomodate the ABS system ...
>
> But, your original question was, what would be the complications? There
> would be no complications that arise from the brake system. The brakes
> themselves -- size, shape, that sort of thing -- might be a complication of
> sorts, but once you manage to get the brake pipe to connect to the brake
> hoses on the axle, the rest of the stuff will already be in place.
>
> The ABS works by sensors detecting that a tire has stopped rolling, and
> brake pressure to that tire is released so it can roll again. If there is no
> sensor, then the tire will simply stop rolling if the brakes are applied
> heavily. No big deal.
>
> The ABS system might look for the sensors, and when they are not found it
> may turn the light on to warn you that ABS is not working. The complication
> is finding the fuse or relay that turns the light off.- Hide quoted text -

Great! Sounds like it won't be much of a problem. Thanks a lot.

Old October 4th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3870_]

I really doubt a fifteen year old car's Anti-lock Braking System would
still be working, not unless it was regularly flushed as the owner's manual
calls for: http://www.billhughes.com/WJLubeSchedule.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

oups.com...

Old October 4th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Oct 4, 4:05 pm, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III"
> wrote:
> I really doubt a fifteen year old car's Anti-lock Braking System would
> still be working, not unless it was regularly flushed as the owner's manual
> calls for:http://www.billhughes.com/WJLubeSchedule.jpg
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
>

> "nrs" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > What would be the complications of swapping a non ABS D44 into an ABS
> > jeep? Would the system still work with the rear sensors disconnected?

> > Thanks

Well, it got sold. I didn't move on it fast enough.

Old October 4th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3871_]

Figure it was God's will, to wait until something comes alone with the
equipment you want. Anti-lock Braking System is not what you want off-road:
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/ABS_offroad.html
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

ps.com...

Old October 5th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_8_]

True, but if you intentionally disabled the ABS, and then caused serious
damage by smashing into something else, your insurance company would have
grounds to disallow any and all claims made by or against you. ABS
theoretically makes the vehicle safer, you see. Installing a Dana 44
without ABS is theoretically disabling the safety features that the vehicle
was sold with. I am waiting for them to get legislation passed, that would
disallow claims made by or against those bozos who refuse to wear seat
belts.

Cheers,

Earle

.. .

Old October 5th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3872_]

Hi Earle,
This is a litigious society, up until a couple of years ago, BMWs
passenger cars and Mercedes 4X4s for a couple, had a switch to disconnect
ABS.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

th350 tq swapping ray Technology 2 August 1st 07 03:50 AM
Swapping Gear box William Longyard VW water cooled 6 October 9th 06 03:51 AM
Swapping stock V6 on 96 A4Q with V8 darock Audi 1 April 6th 06 09:22 PM
Swapping radios, EX and LX Perry Templeton Honda 3 March 12th 06 07:05 PM
swapping radios? [email protected] Honda 3 December 7th 04 11:31 PM