Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistor failures

Old March 28th 13, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Cydrome Leader

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistor failures

In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> In article >, jim beam > wrote:
>>On 03/21/2013 07:23 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
>>>
>>> *why* is it overheating?

>>because it's linear, retard. if you don't know what they means, ****
>>off until you find out.

> Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
> produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
> motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
> of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
> before the whole facility was taken down.

I've got ask- what was this motor used for?

pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

Old March 28th 13, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Cydrome Leader > wrote:
>In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>> Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
>> produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
>> motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
>> of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
>> before the whole facility was taken down.

>I've got ask- what was this motor used for?
>
>pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

You could call it a sort of wind tunnel. Now obsolete, in great part due
to computer modelling making analysis tools like that less important, and
in great part due to computer modelling of the tools making it possible to
make less turbulent tunnels.
--scott

Old March 29th 13, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Michael A. Terrell

Jamie wrote:

> Cydrome Leader wrote:

> >>Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
> >>produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
> >>motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
> >>of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
> >>before the whole facility was taken down.

> > I've got ask- what was this motor used for?
> >
> > pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?
> >

> Just to blow a lot of HOT AIR around, and it seems to work!

You're the resident hot air expert, Maynard Philbrick.

enough left over to pay them.

Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week.
Old March 29th 13, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Jamie

Old March 29th 13, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Cydrome Leader

In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> Cydrome Leader > wrote:
>>In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>>> Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
>>> produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
>>> motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
>>> of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
>>> before the whole facility was taken down.

>>I've got ask- what was this motor used for?
>>
>>pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

> You could call it a sort of wind tunnel. Now obsolete, in great part due
> to computer modelling making analysis tools like that less important, and
> in great part due to computer modelling of the tools making it possible to
> make less turbulent tunnels.
> --scott

so there was an 80 year old giant windtunnel somewhere?

Old March 29th 13, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
AMuzi

On 3/29/2013 12:18 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
> In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>> Cydrome Leader > wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got ask- what was this motor used for?
>>>
>>> pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

>> You could call it a sort of wind tunnel. Now obsolete, in great part due
>> to computer modelling making analysis tools like that less important, and
>> in great part due to computer modelling of the tools making it possible to
>> make less turbulent tunnels.
>> --scott

> so there was an 80 year old giant windtunnel somewhere?

You're joking, right?

1901:
http://airandspace.si.edu/wrightbrot.../1901/wind.cfm

very modern 1935:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqAyEwCmcA

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old March 29th 13, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/29/2013 01:18 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
> In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>> Cydrome Leader > wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got ask- what was this motor used for?
>>>
>>> pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

>> You could call it a sort of wind tunnel. Now obsolete, in great part due
>> to computer modelling making analysis tools like that less important, and
>> in great part due to computer modelling of the tools making it possible to
>> make less turbulent tunnels.
>> --scott

> so there was an 80 year old giant windtunnel somewhere?

well, 80 years ago would be 1933; definitely into the era of commercial
flight, so it's entirely possible. Hell, the Germans might have been
working on jet engines by that point, or at least thinking about them.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 31st 13, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Cydrome Leader

In sci.electronics.repair AMuzi > wrote:
> On 3/29/2013 12:18 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

>>> You could call it a sort of wind tunnel. Now obsolete, in great part due
>>> to computer modelling making analysis tools like that less important, and
>>> in great part due to computer modelling of the tools making it possible to
>>> make less turbulent tunnels.
>>> --scott

>> so there was an 80 year old giant windtunnel somewhere?

> You're joking, right?
>
> 1901:
> http://airandspace.si.edu/wrightbrot.../1901/wind.cfm
>
> very modern 1935:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqAyEwCmcA

even elevators lasting 80 years is pushing it for keeping old stuff
around.