Golf vs. GTI

Old October 4th 04, 04:16 AM
dmkozak

Default Golf vs. GTI

(Steve Grauman) wrote in message >...
> >Thanks for the responses but I'm still really confused. It seems to be a
> >confusing subject? To generalize, a GTI is like a suped-up golf? It's the
> >same as a golf except for an enhanced engine?

> More or less, yes. The only things that really make my 2002 GTi any different
> from the Golf are it's engine (1.8T), minor suspension tweeks, larger wheels
> with better tires and GTi badges.
> Steve Grauman

I think Rob's answer above is closer to fact. Your 2002 GTi should
also have bigger brakes, different electrical harness, upgraded carpet
and trim, dashboard computer, sportier steering wheel w/leather cover,
ABS w/ASR, fog lights and, of course, the Factory sport seats w/lumbar
support.
Old October 4th 04, 05:22 AM
Steve Grauman

>Your 2002 GTi should
>also have bigger brakes,

They don't appear any larger.

>different electrical harness

I wouldn't know. But considering the 1.8T probably needs connections the 2.0
and TDi don't, I wouldn't be surprised.

>upgraded carpet
>and trim

It doesn't appear to. The trim and floor mats that came in my car appear to be
indenticle to that of a Golf.

>dashboard computer

What dashboard computer? Are you talking about the little screen that presents
the dummy lights or the little screen that displays my total mileage?
Steve Grauman
Old October 5th 04, 03:52 AM
Matt B.

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
>>dashboard computer

> What dashboard computer? Are you talking about the little screen that
> presents the dummy lights or the little screen that displays my total
> mileage?

The latter is the computer..aka 'MFA'. Most GTIs have them. This hasn't
always been the case in the US but generally that is one of the worldwide
features of the GTI's equipment.

Old October 5th 04, 04:39 AM
Biz

"Matt B." > wrote in message
> "Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >>dashboard computer

> > What dashboard computer? Are you talking about the little screen that
> > presents the dummy lights or the little screen that displays my total
> > mileage?

> The latter is the computer..aka 'MFA'. Most GTIs have them. This hasn't
> always been the case in the US but generally that is one of the worldwide
> features of the GTI's equipment.

In the US/NA, the MFA was on the 85 A2 GTI chassis, maybe through 87, then
when the 87 1/2 16V came out it was removed from the 8V versions, only
available on the 16V after that, IIRC.

Old October 5th 04, 05:12 AM
Nate Nagel

Biz wrote:

> "Matt B." > wrote in message

>>>What dashboard computer? Are you talking about the little screen that
>>>presents the dummy lights or the little screen that displays my total
>>>mileage?

>>The latter is the computer..aka 'MFA'. Most GTIs have them. This hasn't
>>always been the case in the US but generally that is one of the worldwide
>>features of the GTI's equipment.
>>

> In the US/NA, the MFA was on the 85 A2 GTI chassis, maybe through 87, then
> when the 87 1/2 16V came out it was removed from the 8V versions, only
> available on the 16V after that, IIRC.

It is still available on the 1.8T but as an option, as I found out much
to my chagrin when I picked up my new 1.8T at the dealership.

The car I test drove had a MFA, but it had cloth seats. I wanted
leather, so they found me a silver car with black leather at another
dealership.

Oops.

I got tired of making car payments after a while, so I sold it to my mom
as she was looking for something newer than her '86 Golf, and she
doesn't seem to miss it. I would, though. I kinda wish my daily beater
944 had some kind of oil temp indication as well.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 5th 04, 05:15 AM
Steve Grauman

>It is still available on the 1.8T but as an option, as I found out much
>to my chagrin when I picked up my new 1.8T at the dealership

Not unless something drastic has changed in less than 2 years. I bought my car
in January 2002 and it came with the computer as standard.
Steve Grauman
Old October 5th 04, 05:17 AM
Nate Nagel

Steve Grauman wrote:

>>It is still available on the 1.8T but as an option, as I found out much
>>to my chagrin when I picked up my new 1.8T at the dealership

> Not unless something drastic has changed in less than 2 years. I bought my car
> in January 2002 and it came with the computer as standard.
> Steve Grauman

That's within a month of when I picked mine up and it most definitely
did not have it.

nate

Old October 5th 04, 04:03 PM
Matt B.

"Biz" > wrote in message
> In the US/NA, the MFA was on the 85 A2 GTI chassis, maybe through 87, then
> when the 87 1/2 16V came out it was removed from the 8V versions, only
> available on the 16V after that, IIRC.

Yes that's true. The '90 and up 8V GTIs here didn't have them standard
(forget if it was totally N/A or an option). Before that we had that
interim period with "Golf GT" models more or less replacing the 8V GTI when
the 16V came out and I'm pretty sure they didn't have them either.

Old October 6th 04, 05:34 AM
Mike Hackett

Nate Nagel > wrote in message
> Steve Grauman wrote:
>
> >>It is still available on the 1.8T but as an option, as I found out much
> >>to my chagrin when I picked up my new 1.8T at the dealership

> > Not unless something drastic has changed in less than 2 years. I bought

my car
> > in January 2002 and it came with the computer as standard.
> > Steve Grauman

> That's within a month of when I picked mine up and it most definitely
> did not have it.
>
> nate
>
> --

The GTI brochure I have here for 2002 shows the computer as standard on the
VR6. Not on the 1.8T. And not available as an option for the 1.8T. That was
my understanding when I was buying mine in spring of 2002, and I believe the
VW website info at the time indicated it wasn't a possibility for the 1.8T
either. I know I was bummed that I couldn't have it on the 1.8T at the time,
because I always like that kind of gadget. I guess it's one of those
"specifications subject to change" sorts of deals. This was for the
run-of-the-mill 1.8T models, I don't know what the situation was with the
later 337 or 20th Anniv special 1.8T variants..

Mike