Molybdenum grease - same as CV joint grease?

Old December 16th 04, 08:30 PM
William Maslin

Default Molybdenum grease - same as CV joint grease?

I'm thinking about doing a shifter rebuild on my 95 Golf using one of
those kits with all the bushings, etc. Bentley specifies "moldbdenum
grease" as the lubricant for the shift linkage parts. Is that
essentially the same stuff that you use for CV joints or is there some
special product I should be looking for?

Bill
78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93
95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email
Old December 17th 04, 02:29 AM
Woodchuck

Usually, especially if it looks dark grey in color.

Old December 17th 04, 02:29 AM
Woodchuck

Old December 17th 04, 04:31 AM

You can get 1 lb. tubs of the stuff at any auto parts store. I thought
the cv grease was bit thinner and had lead in it. Ideally you wear
gloves when working with the cv joint grease.

William Maslin > wrote:

>I'm thinking about doing a shifter rebuild on my 95 Golf using one of
>those kits with all the bushings, etc. Bentley specifies "moldbdenum
>grease" as the lubricant for the shift linkage parts. Is that
>essentially the same stuff that you use for CV joints or is there some
>special product I should be looking for?
>
>Bill
>78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93
>95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

Jim B.
Old December 17th 04, 04:31 AM

Old December 17th 04, 04:58 PM
Roger Brown

Woodchuck wrote:

> Usually, especially if it looks dark grey in color.
>
> "William Maslin" > wrote in message
> > I'm thinking about doing a shifter rebuild on my 95 Golf using one of
> > those kits with all the bushings, etc. Bentley specifies "moldbdenum
> > grease" as the lubricant for the shift linkage parts. Is that
> > essentially the same stuff that you use for CV joints or is there some
> > special product I should be looking for?

Really makes no difference what you use on the shifter bushings. They are not high-speed, high-temperature or extreme-pressure
joints, any kind of waterproof grease will work fine.
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSa...ml#Maintenance

Whatever stuff you have on hand will work just fine.

--
Roger
Old December 17th 04, 04:58 PM
Roger Brown