Are strut spring spacers any good?

Old August 13th 05, 03:50 PM
Al Kondo

Default Are strut spring spacers any good?

I have a 91 Toyota Camry LE. I know that my front struts are worn and
need replacing. I have done this procedure before and will be doing
it myself again. However, because my car is "bottoming" on occasion,
I think that my springs are bad. I am having a hard time locating the
springs at my usual parts houses and even on the internet. While
researching the part, I found that spacers exist which can be placed
within the spring to make them ride higher. I would like to hear
from people who are experienced with these so I can determine if they
are any good. I can get them at my local AutoZone for about seven
bucks.

Thanks, Al Kondo
Old August 13th 05, 05:27 PM
N8N

Al Kondo wrote:
> I have a 91 Toyota Camry LE. I know that my front struts are worn and
> need replacing. I have done this procedure before and will be doing
> it myself again. However, because my car is "bottoming" on occasion,
> I think that my springs are bad. I am having a hard time locating the
> springs at my usual parts houses and even on the internet. While
> researching the part, I found that spacers exist which can be placed
> within the spring to make them ride higher. I would like to hear
> from people who are experienced with these so I can determine if they
> are any good. I can get them at my local AutoZone for about seven
> bucks.
>
> Thanks, Al Kondo

In a word, no. Honestly if your struts really are shot you may not
have a spring problem at all. Otherwise I would just buy a new set of
springs and be done with it. The only good spring spacers are the ones
that sit in the spring seat; I assume you're talking about the little
things that go in between the coils, which are worthless.

nate

Old August 13th 05, 06:29 PM

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> In a word, no. Honestly if your struts really are shot you may not
> have a spring problem at all. Otherwise I would just buy a new set of
> springs and be done with it. The only good spring spacers are the ones
> that sit in the spring seat; I assume you're talking about the little
> things that go in between the coils, which are worthless.
>
> nate

I have had to use these when trailering with a car that was not really
set up for it. Used them on my rear coils, and they gave me enough
lift to get me home, and stability was fine.

I would not use them as a long term alternative, and agree with Nate
that you may not have a spring problem at all. New struts may solve
the issue.

Old August 14th 05, 02:38 AM
scrook

The spacers will just negate some of the the action of the springs making
the car ride harder (and bottom out harder), the bottoming probably arises
from lack of damping due to the worn out struts.