OT Needing some help with my Chev truck

Old July 22nd 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default OT Needing some help with my Chev truck

Got an odd problem and it's got me stumped.

86 Chev 1 ton pickup. 454 auto.

The choke light came on and stayed on.
Same for the fast idle circuit.
Choke stays about 3/4 closed.

Needless to say gas milage shot to hell and it was terrible before
this.

I'm thinking an electrical short due to the fact that if I disconnect
the choke wire the choke light still stays on.

And my wife cleaned my shop awhile back and I can't find a damned
thing.
I wanted my multi-meter or test lights. No friggen luck finding
those.

I had this truck for 10 years but it's never really had a problem
before except
the normal stuff like master cyl and power steering pump.

Only thing I've found for sure was a rotted vacuum line, couple of
muddauber
nests and a big mouse nest.

Anybody got a clue as to where to check ?

Randy
Old July 23rd 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
> Got an odd problem and it's got me stumped.
>
> 86 Chev 1 ton pickup. 454 auto.
>
> The choke light came on and stayed on.
> Same for the fast idle circuit.
> Choke stays about 3/4 closed.
>
> Needless to say gas milage shot to hell and it was terrible before
> this.
>
> I'm thinking an electrical short due to the fact that if I disconnect
> the choke wire the choke light still stays on.
>
> And my wife cleaned my shop awhile back and I can't find a damned
> thing.
> I wanted my multi-meter or test lights. No friggen luck finding
> those.
>
> I had this truck for 10 years but it's never really had a problem
> before except
> the normal stuff like master cyl and power steering pump.
>
> Only thing I've found for sure was a rotted vacuum line, couple of
> muddauber
> nests and a big mouse nest.
>
> Anybody got a clue as to where to check ?
>
> Randy

same sorry system that my 83 had, i'm sure.... computer controlled
carbureter. the choke light only comes on if the circuit is broken... so
you can either use a meter or test light(once the wife confesses to where
she hit them) to test for power to the coil, or bypass that wire and run
positive from the battery(or the double lug on the firewall near the brake
booster that is fulltime hot) to test it yourself....my bet is on the
element being shorted/burned out. i took the computer and everything out
of my 83 and chucked it into the trashcan when i put in a larger camshaft
and aftermarket carb.... best thing i did to that truck....

Old July 23rd 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jul 22, 5:09*pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

> same sorry system that my 83 had, i'm sure.... computer controlled
> carbureter. *the choke light only comes on if the circuit is broken... so
> you can either use a meter or test light(once the wife confesses to where
> she hit them) to test for power to the coil, or bypass that wire and run
> positive from the battery(or the double lug on the firewall near the brake
> booster that is fulltime hot) to test it yourself....my bet is on the
> element being shorted/burned out. * i took the computer and everything out
> of my 83 and chucked it into the trashcan when i put in a larger camshaft
> and aftermarket carb.... best thing i did to that truck....- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I'm taking it down to a friends tommorow. Good mechanic
and his wife isn't allowed in his shop. At least we should be able to
find his meter and light.

I'm still trying to figure out why they would rivit the choke cover
holder
in place. Silly *******s.

If and when I can get my big trailers sold this truck will be going
down
the road. Truck is in great shape but I want an early 70's 1/2 ton.

Randy
Old July 23rd 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message

>Thanks. I'm taking it down to a friends tommorow. Good mechanic
>and his wife isn't allowed in his shop. At least we should be able to
>find his meter and light.

>I'm still trying to figure out why they would rivit the choke cover
>holder
>in place. Silly *******s.

yes, they are... you can drill the rivets out and replace with small
selftapping screws...

>If and when I can get my big trailers sold this truck will be going
>down
>the road. Truck is in great shape but I want an early 70's 1/2 ton.

i'd love a 72....

Old July 23rd 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jul 22, 8:02*pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >Thanks. *I'm taking it down to a friends tommorow. *Good mechanic
> >and his wife isn't allowed in his shop. *At least we should be able to
> >find his meter and light.
> >I'm still trying to figure out why they would rivit the choke cover
> >holder
> >in place. *Silly *******s.

> yes, they are... you can drill the rivets out and replace with small
> selftapping screws...
>
> >If and when I can get my big trailers sold this truck will be going
> >down
> >the road. *Truck is in great shape but I want an early 70's 1/2 ton.

> i'd love a 72....

I missed a chance on a cherry 72 a few months ago. It was near
perfect and real low miles. Friends bother snapped it up before I
got the chance. But I'm patient and will find one. There is a shop
about 20 miles down a back road that finds, fixes and sells older Chev
trucks at pretty reasonable prices. Friend & I are slowly working
thru
a 56 Chev truck he picked up a year or so ago. Pretty decent shape
and only had 36K original miles on it. Lack of driving it causes a
whole
new set of problems to deal with.

Randy
Old July 23rd 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 03:10:58 +0200, > wrote:

> On Jul 22, 5:09*pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>>
>> same sorry system that my 83 had, i'm sure.... computer controlled
>> carbureter. *the choke light only comes on if the circuit is broken...
>> so
>> you can either use a meter or test light(once the wife confesses to
>> where
>> she hit them) to test for power to the coil, or bypass that wire and run
>> positive from the battery(or the double lug on the firewall near the
>> brake
>> booster that is fulltime hot) to test it yourself....my bet is on the
>> element being shorted/burned out. * i took the computer and everything
>> out
>> of my 83 and chucked it into the trashcan when i put in a larger
>> camshaft
>> and aftermarket carb.... best thing i did to that truck....- Hide
>> quoted text -
>>

> Thanks. I'm taking it down to a friends tommorow. Good mechanic
> and his wife isn't allowed in his shop. At least we should be able to
> find his meter and light.
>
> I'm still trying to figure out why they would rivit the choke cover
> holder
> in place. Silly *******s.

All down to emission standards/regulations. If it was open, you could
adjust the choke and fatten up the mixture during initial warm up and also
prolong the warm up period.

J.

Old July 23rd 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jul 22, 5:09*pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

> same sorry system that my 83 had, i'm sure.... computer controlled
> carbureter. *the choke light only comes on if the circuit is broken... so
> you can either use a meter or test light(once the wife confesses to where
> she hit them) to test for power to the coil, or bypass that wire and run
> positive from the battery(or the double lug on the firewall near the brake
> booster that is fulltime hot) to test it yourself....my bet is on the
> element being shorted/burned out. * i took the computer and everything out
> of my 83 and chucked it into the trashcan when i put in a larger camshaft
> and aftermarket carb.... best thing i did to that truck....- Hide quoted text -

#^$&&*&%( Fuse was blown and I had a spare. Put it in, fired it up
and
fuse blew right away. And it was my last extra fuse. ****. So I'm
basicly
back to looking for a short. Double ****. Can't find my test light
or working
multi-meter. Triple ****. Wife decided to clean and rearrange my
shop awhile
back and I can't find a damned thing. I'm just in a royally ****ed
off mood
this morning so I think I will go out and hunt wild dogs for awhile.

I would run to town and get more fuses and tester but am going there
tommorow anyways so will pick them up then. Town is 14 miles away
and
with the windy roads it takes about 1/2 hour to get there.

And it's hot and muggy out. I really need to go kill a wild dog or 2
or 3.

Randy
Old July 23rd 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mac[_3_]

> wrote in message
On Jul 22, 5:09 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

> same sorry system that my 83 had, i'm sure.... computer controlled
> carbureter. the choke light only comes on if the circuit is broken... so
> you can either use a meter or test light(once the wife confesses to where
> she hit them) to test for power to the coil, or bypass that wire and run
> positive from the battery(or the double lug on the firewall near the brake
> booster that is fulltime hot) to test it yourself....my bet is on the
> element being shorted/burned out. i took the computer and everything out
> of my 83 and chucked it into the trashcan when i put in a larger camshaft
> and aftermarket carb.... best thing i did to that truck....- Hide quoted
> text -

#^$&&*&%( Fuse was blown and I had a spare. Put it in, fired it up
and
fuse blew right away. And it was my last extra fuse. ****. So I'm
basicly
back to looking for a short. Double ****. Can't find my test light
or working
multi-meter. Triple ****. Wife decided to clean and rearrange my
shop awhile
back and I can't find a damned thing. I'm just in a royally ****ed
off mood
this morning so I think I will go out and hunt wild dogs for awhile.

I would run to town and get more fuses and tester but am going there
tommorow anyways so will pick them up then. Town is 14 miles away
and
with the windy roads it takes about 1/2 hour to get there.

And it's hot and muggy out. I really need to go kill a wild dog or 2
or 3.

Randy

Yeah having trouble with my VW fuel system too so I think I'll club some
feral kittens to death and I will be right as rain............

Old July 23rd 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jul 23, 9:59*am, "Mac" > wrote:

> And it's hot and muggy out. *I really need to go kill a wild dog or 2
> or 3.
>
> Randy
>
> Yeah having trouble with my VW fuel system too so I think I'll club some
> feral kittens to death and I will be right as rain............

Ah, you must have thought I was being mean, cruel or just an asshole
with
the wild dog comment. Sorry but I wasn't. We have large packs of
them
here, they are aggressive and very dangerous. They have tried to
attack
me on more then 1 occasion. They cost me over 10k in livestock last
year
alone. And several pairs of shorts. They are so aggressive that if
I'm out
working fences down by the roads or woods I better be carrying a
handgun
and have the shotgun handy. 2 of them about got me last week when I
was
focused on a fencing job. They snuck up out of the woods and would
have
eaten my butt but 1 made a little barking noise to soon.

You need to be around when they are in the woods nearby and working
themselves up in a frenzy. You get 50 or so dogs going like that and
you
will be standing guard all night as you know they are going to be out
hunting
and killing.

Randy
Old July 23rd 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mac[_3_]

On Jul 23, 9:59 am, "Mac" > wrote:

> And it's hot and muggy out. I really need to go kill a wild dog or 2
> or 3.
>
> Randy
>
> Yeah having trouble with my VW fuel system too so I think I'll club some
> feral kittens to death and I will be right as rain............

Ah, you must have thought I was being mean, cruel or just an asshole
with
the wild dog comment. Sorry but I wasn't. We have large packs of
them
here, they are aggressive and very dangerous. They have tried to
attack
me on more then 1 occasion. They cost me over 10k in livestock last
year
alone. And several pairs of shorts. They are so aggressive that if
I'm out
working fences down by the roads or woods I better be carrying a
handgun
and have the shotgun handy. 2 of them about got me last week when I
was
focused on a fencing job. They snuck up out of the woods and would
have
eaten my butt but 1 made a little barking noise to soon.

You need to be around when they are in the woods nearby and working
themselves up in a frenzy. You get 50 or so dogs going like that and
you
will be standing guard all night as you know they are going to be out
hunting
and killing.

Randy

Well yes I actually thought you were being an asshole but when put that way
I suppose I would do the same in that situation. You must be WAY out in the
sticks to have that many wild dogs around......

Mac