white/light grey smoke when engine hot

Old July 24th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default white/light grey smoke when engine hot

Hi.

I have this Vanagon restoration project in hands and would like to
discuss with all of you whether should the engine be rebuilt or not
(CU engine, stock dual solex but modified to dual webers carbs
http://radioelvas.kicks-ass.org:8081...5RE_westy3.jpg
).

1) there's oil all over the engine compartment, including under the
tin:
http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...l_imgp0018.jpg
http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...l_imgp0020.jpg
http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...exchangers.jpg
http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...r_1_carter.jpg
http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...l_imgp0029.jpg
http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...l_imgp0027.jpg
http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...l_imgp0026.jpg

2) when the engine is cool/after startup, no noticeable smoke is
visible, maybe some slight black smoke.

3) after some time (engine at normal temp, i guess) white smoke (at
least more white than blue) comes out of the tail pipe, in bigger
quantities when accelerating and also through the dipstick "housing".

4) sparkplugs are like the photos illustrate, but they don't seem
oily, just soaked in gas.
Cylinder #4 : http://radioelvas.kicks-ass.org:8081...E_imgp0033.jpg
Cylinder #1 :
http://radioelvas.kicks-ass.org:8081...E_imgp0036.jpg

5) checked the exhaust pipe inner side, doesn't seem oily, just full
of carbon deposits

6) about cooling, when I got this vw in my hands, the oil level was
barely touching the dipstick. There's also at least 1 tin part (right
heat exchanger) missing and the rubber seal around engine is also
missing

7) No time yet to check timming, compression or tune carbs, but it
sometimes missfires, either cold or hot, at iddle or under
acceleration ...

.... should I just pull the engine out of the bus and rebuild it or
it's worth to try to find the cause of that smoke on someting other
than new piston rings and/or valve job? The odometer shows 180k km and
I don't know if this is the original engine or if it was rebuilt in
the past.

Tks.
Regards,
--
Luis
Old July 24th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

[IMAGE LINKS FIXED]
Hi.

I have this Vanagon restoration project in hands and would like to
discuss with all of you whether should the engine be rebuilt or not
(CU engine, stock dual solex but modified to dual weber carbs
http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...5RE_westy3.jpg ).

[...]

Cylinder #4 : http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...E_imgp0033.jpg
Cylinder #1 :
http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...E_imgp0036.jpg

Old July 24th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

!"#"$"##%"#$%# !

4) sparkplugs are like the photos illustrate, but they don't seem
oily, just soaked in gas.
Cylinder #4 :

http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...L_imgp0033.jpg

Cylinder #1 :

http://xserver.kicks-ass.org/images/...L_imgp0036.jpg

Old July 24th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

[...]

newish engine, white smoke Chris Miller VW air cooled 0 March 1st 08 03:17 AM
E46 330ci trembles at idle and engine light on, no smoke, no oilleaks.. Brian Lam[_1_] BMW 17 September 5th 07 01:02 PM
White Smoke Mustang_69 Corvette 9 January 3rd 07 04:28 PM
white/blue smoke Mr.Wayne Gibson 4x4 2 October 1st 05 10:27 AM
Light engine Smoke.... HerdFsu VW air cooled 4 June 16th 05 12:00 AM