Jeep CJ-7 driveshaft and clutch?

Old October 31st 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Jeep CJ-7 driveshaft and clutch?

So Here is my problem...
I have a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 with the inline 6 4.2...
About 2 weeks ago I developed a vibration when accelerating in 1st
and
3rd around 2500-3000 RPM. I could not figure it out!! I thought i
might have had an alignment problem or something to do with recently
greased joints...Well today My driveshaft dropped from the rear-end
side. The bolts in the connector snapped off. I am thinking either
from the harmonic balancer or maybe one bolt broke and then the
vibrations broke the other. Well I decided I would just pull the
driveshaft, throw it into 4 wheel drive and limp it home like a FWD.
Well first I could not get the driveshaft off...could not pull it
from
the transmission, and could not loosen the bolts. I decided to try
and
tie it up so it would spin freely without hurting anything else(yeah
ghetto I know). But when I put it into 4WD I could shift through the
gears without hitting the clutch, and the car would not move...??
Am i missing something? I thought for sure this would work. I also
know that my 4WD works. Did I burn out my clutch somehow too? Any
ideas here...my poor baby is sitting on the highway...I'd rather tow
it to my house than a mechanic!!
Thanks for the help
Jeremy

Old October 31st 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Raptor

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> So Here is my problem...
> I have a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 with the inline 6 4.2...
> About 2 weeks ago I developed a vibration when accelerating in 1st
> and
> 3rd around 2500-3000 RPM. I could not figure it out!! I thought i
> might have had an alignment problem or something to do with recently
> greased joints...Well today My driveshaft dropped from the rear-end
> side. The bolts in the connector snapped off. I am thinking either
> from the harmonic balancer or maybe one bolt broke and then the
> vibrations broke the other. Well I decided I would just pull the
> driveshaft, throw it into 4 wheel drive and limp it home like a FWD.
> Well first I could not get the driveshaft off...could not pull it
> from
> the transmission, and could not loosen the bolts. I decided to try
> and
> tie it up so it would spin freely without hurting anything else(yeah
> ghetto I know). But when I put it into 4WD I could shift through the
> gears without hitting the clutch, and the car would not move...??
> Am i missing something? I thought for sure this would work. I also
> know that my 4WD works. Did I burn out my clutch somehow too? Any
> ideas here...my poor baby is sitting on the highway...I'd rather tow
> it to my house than a mechanic!!
> Thanks for the help
> Jeremy

If you are certain that your 4WD system works, but you could shift through
the gears without the clutch and without going anywhere, I would suspect
that the TCase was in neutral, possibly from being busted.
I would see if you are getting any rotation from the driveshaft that is
hanging at the rear when you put it in gear.

Old October 31st 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

First off your u-joint went bad and the vibrations caused the bolts to
blow out of the rear pinion. You now likely need a rear pinion, new
seals for that and at least a new u-joint. You also might need pinion
bearings depending on how long it was vibrating for.

You 'cannot' drive it with the driveshaft still in place. It will not
work, the driveshaft will act like a propeller and take out things like
the exhaust, brake lines and gas lines, let along the holes it punches
in the floor pan.....

You will need to unbolt the front of the driveshaft and put it inside.

Then you need to 'lock your front hubs' before putting it into 4 high
for the drive home....

You also need to be very careful when pulling away at a corner so you
don't stress out the front u-joints too much.

My CJ7 will run fine up to 60 or 65 mph on front wheel drive with no
issues. If yours vibrates at speed, Slow Down or you will blow a front
u-joint. Then go looking for the bad front one after you limp home.
(only if it vibrates)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old October 31st 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_20_]

"Tie [the rear driveshaft] up so it would spin freely without
hurting anything else" .... LMAO!!!

It sounds as if he forgot to lock the front hubs, yep. But
wait, no smashing against the floor pan when he lets out the
clutch. I know it is unlikely, but it sounds as if the clutch,
transmission or shift mechanism got damaged in the fracas too.

Cheers,

Earle

ng.com...

Old October 31st 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_20_]

Or he's got the transfer case in neutral...

Cheers,

Earle

"Earle Horton" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Tie [the rear driveshaft] up so it would spin freely without
> hurting anything else" .... LMAO!!!
>
> It sounds as if he forgot to lock the front hubs, yep. But
> wait, no smashing against the floor pan when he lets out the
> clutch. I know it is unlikely, but it sounds as if the

clutch,
> transmission or shift mechanism got damaged in the fracas too.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Earle
>
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
> > First off your u-joint went bad and the vibrations caused

the
> bolts to
> > blow out of the rear pinion. You now likely need a rear

> pinion, new
> > seals for that and at least a new u-joint. You also might

> need pinion
> > bearings depending on how long it was vibrating for.
> >
> > You 'cannot' drive it with the driveshaft still in place. It

> will not
> > work, the driveshaft will act like a propeller and take out

> things like
> > the exhaust, brake lines and gas lines, let along the holes

it
> punches
> > in the floor pan.....
> >
> > You will need to unbolt the front of the driveshaft and put

it
> inside.
> >
> > Then you need to 'lock your front hubs' before putting it

into
> 4 high
> > for the drive home....
> >
> > You also need to be very careful when pulling away at a

corner
> so you
> > don't stress out the front u-joints too much.
> >
> > My CJ7 will run fine up to 60 or 65 mph on front wheel drive

> with no
> > issues. If yours vibrates at speed, Slow Down or you will

> blow a front
> > u-joint. Then go looking for the bad front one after you

limp
> home.
> > (only if it vibrates)
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in

'00

http://www.teranews.com

Old October 31st 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I suppose it is possible to get the driveshaft tied and centered, but
wow, if it lets go at speed....

He also will need new straps for the u-joint. They are cheap. A set of
straps and new bolts runs about $5.00.

Mike

Old October 31st 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III[_3_]

There you go again, the little Psychopath, jealous, REALLY JEALOUS,
over the fact that I drive a '77 AMC Gremlin, ranting over my saggy
nutsack, possession charges, suckerbrain, womanliness, paunchy ex-
surfer punk body, Muslim family, and name.
What a jealous little draft dodging senile coward Bill O'Reilly
is, who belongs with me in the New Albany, Indiana asylum. I don't
have a DD214, I had to have served our country for that.
The only way I can get attention is to make a fool of myself,
with my goat obsession/fetish. When I was little, the other kids
laughed at my attempt to use fowel language in elementary school play
grounds. But I'm too senile to remember what I last wrote, like the
rest of Florida. I may remind you of a little rat dog, like a Mexican
Chihuahua with its senseless barking it's rabid head off, me too, me
too. I'm really too afraid to use my real name, address, or even sign
a statement as any man would, totally worthless!
Posted pornography at: news:
As a member of the moral
majority I know what porn is when I see it! Because I've seen lots of
it. Hell, I'd even create it if I could get a girl to pose nude for
me.
You thought my attacks were just personal disagreements, but with
passing of my country's In depends Day, I realize these attacks are
stemming from my hate of God and America, and that's why I wear the
American flag as a diaper, but I'm just too cowardly to be a
terrorist.
People ask me all the time, when are you going to take
responsibility for yourself, and become a man?????????? I tell them,
Never!!!!!!!!!!!
Forwarded to: alt.binaries.pictures.autos,
alt.binaries.automobile.pictures groups so they may to see what an
a**hole I really am, a spoiled ass hat!!!!!
I'm a LIAR and never been in the Service much less Vietnam, as I
suggested!!!!! If you think I'm a Psycho, you're right. My
psychiatrist even says so!!!!
I'm just really curious as to who you think will believe me over
any man responsible enough to list his name and address here and in
every place I know of????? I've got you all fooled. All I can do is
lie, as most everything I have said contradicts it's self.
You know what they say, once a faggot coward, always a faggot
coward. I can't help myself!!!!!!!
Sincerely,
Llewellyn W. (Bill) Hughes III

I'm not fooling anyone, you all know I'm a faggot! I need to get
back in the hospital
before I hurt myself or someone else again. I know I need to been
locked in a rubber room, laced in a straight jacket. Time for lights
out at my insane asylum again.
Fortunately it is against the law for me to own a firearm.
Here I go again with that psychopathic goat obsession/fetish, that
only faggots like would think of. That's what I've said, it's common
knowledge I'm a schizophrenic faggot.
Hehehe I've got your user name blocked over at: Motzarella, COX,
and
soon the world of servers.
What are you babbling about?????
And you think the news members won't recognize my girlie writing,
and see my user names, as fake as I am.
<ROTFLMAO>
God Bless America, the Democratic Party, and Hillary Clinton
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 31st 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Pink Freud©®

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:30:40 +0000, L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote:

> [...]
> back in the hospital
> before I hurt myself or someone else again. I know I need to been
> locked in a rubber room, laced in a straight jacket. Time for lights
> out at my insane asylum again.
> Fortunately it is against the law for me to own a firearm.
> Here I go again with that psychopathic goat obsession/fetish, that
> only faggots like would think of. That's what I've said, it's common
> knowledge I'm a schizophrenic faggot.
> Hehehe I've got your user name blocked over at: Motzarella, COX,
> and
> soon the world of servers.
> What are you babbling about?????
> And you think the news members won't recognize my girlie writing,
> and see my user names, as fake as I am.
> <ROTFLMAO>
> God Bless America, the Democratic Party, and Hillary Clinton

WONDERFUL !!!

Glad to see you've finally come to your senses, Bill, and 'fessed up to
what we all already knew!

:^D

Thanks very much,

Ponk Frood
``````````````

PS -- Confession is good for the sole, so I may as well let you all know
my real name is William Randolph Hearst, aka Dr. Seuss, but my friends
call me Punky Brewster, acquaintances call me Coal Porter, and total
strangers refer to me as William Dudley Pelley.

Goat Bless Armenia.

--
Cooyon Billie might actually be good with computers. After all, long
before they were available to the public, he was already quite adept

Old October 31st 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

You can not hang the rear drive shaft in any fashion that will allow you to
leave it in place while driving home on the front end.. The rear shaft must
be removed. You must remove the bolts at the transfer case to remove the
drive shaft.

You selected Neutral with the transfer case, not 4WD. Because you selected
N, this means you were on your way to selecting 4LO, b ut you want 4HI.

There is no harmonic balancer anywhere near the rear driveshaft where it
connects to the differential. The connection to the diff is called a yoke,
and the universal joint is bolted to the yoke via straps or u-bolts. You
have lost the universal joint, and perhaps the straps (since straps are
stock fitment) You will need to replace at least the universal joint, and
you probably should replace the straps with u-bolts.

Given the damage you could have had, you might need to replace the yoke too.

ups.com...

Old October 31st 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

sooo yeah I am a friggin idiot...I forgot to lock the hubs!!
As soon as I can get a ride and a 8mm socket I'll be rollin...

How can I tell before getting everything back together if I need a new
rear pinion?
It vibrated for about 2 weeks before it blew.

Thanks for the responses,
-J-(an idiot...lock the hubs!!)

On Oct 30, 9:22 pm, wrote:
> So Here is my problem...
> I have a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 with the inline 6 4.2...
> About 2 weeks ago I developed a vibration when accelerating in 1st
> and
> 3rd around 2500-3000 RPM. I could not figure it out!! I thought i
> might have had an alignment problem or something to do with recently
> greased joints...Well today My driveshaft dropped from the rear-end
> side. The bolts in the connector snapped off. I am thinking either
> from the harmonic balancer or maybe one bolt broke and then the
> vibrations broke the other. Well I decided I would just pull the
> driveshaft, throw it into 4 wheel drive and limp it home like a FWD.
> Well first I could not get the driveshaft off...could not pull it
> from
> the transmission, and could not loosen the bolts. I decided to try
> and
> tie it up so it would spin freely without hurting anything else(yeah
> ghetto I know). But when I put it into 4WD I could shift through the
> gears without hitting the clutch, and the car would not move...??
> Am i missing something? I thought for sure this would work. I also
> know that my 4WD works. Did I burn out my clutch somehow too? Any
> ideas here...my poor baby is sitting on the highway...I'd rather tow
> it to my house than a mechanic!!
> Thanks for the help
> Jeremy

93 jeep cherokee clutch soft [email protected] Jeep 7 February 20th 07 05:31 AM
Jeep clutch pedal [email protected] 4x4 6 January 5th 07 01:46 AM
98 jeep wrangler bleed clutch? jackman600 Jeep 4 December 30th 06 10:56 AM
89 Jeep Wagoneer clutch Boyd Jeep 7 February 25th 06 07:47 PM
Jeep Comanche clutch problem Matt Whiting Chrysler 0 November 27th 04 02:36 PM