Body Work & Welders

Old February 7th 05, 05:55 PM
Rusted

Default Body Work & Welders

I have been doing all of my body work with a 120V Lincoln mig welder. It has
been perfect for all of the sheet metal and lighter welds (like seat
brackets). But even working on sheet metal I have it cranked up to 3/4
power. I am getting ready to buy my own and have picked out the 220V
Millermatic 175 (Lincoln makes a similar model as well). It will do
everything that the small 120V will do, plus weld anything else on a jeep
that I would ever need to weld. So far I have not ran into any one who
welds like I plan to and purchased the 175 and wished they stepped up to the
210 model. The best prices I have seen so far is at cyberweld.com (free
shipping as well), but the welders are $700US, so you may have to save up a
bit longer.

newskNNd.313551$6l.74599@pd7tw2no...

Old February 7th 05, 08:50 PM
Cherokee-Ltd

You'll have to up your budget a bit to get a respectable machine.

I went through the low budget welder search a few months ago and I wouldn't
buy the Deca for half the price. Avoid the Lincoln Mig-Pak 10 and 15 because
you have to buy the gas hook up separately at Canadian Tire (extra $100).
Consider nothing less than the Hobart 140 or Lincoln SP135T for 110 machines
and Hobart 180 or Lincoln 175T for 220 machines. You won't get a comparable
Miller machine in the same price range up here. The Lincolns have a "Plus"
series in the 135 and 175 which offers continually variable voltage control.
This is nice but I couldn't justify the price difference. If you're prepared
to pay the difference, consider the Millers.. they have continuously
variable voltage and are just a bit more than the Lincoln Plus series. Not
to mention, they have a better resale value if you are looking to upgrade in
the future.

The 110 machines above will perform any bodywork you choose to do and it's
easy to learn how to use them. They will also weld thicker materials (1/4"
multiple pass with regular wire, single pass with flux core). There is no
doubt the 220 machines will provide cleaner single pass welds on thicker
materials using regular wire so consider what you have planned for this
welder beyond bodywork.

You'll be lucky to find a small bottle for $100 (maybe empty). Before buying
a bottle consider the fill cost. Fill costs include labour, the labour is
the same for a small bottle as it is a big bottle. A small bottle will cost
roughly $30 to fill and last one long day while a big bottle will cost
$50ish but you get 4x as much. Look at all your options for gas, including
renting. I can rent a big bottle for $60/yr + fills but I elected to buy the
medium bottle ($190 on exchange program). I can fill it anywhere and
exchange it from the point of purchase when it expires. The renting option
is a good deal but I bought the 110 machine with portability in mind and the
big bottles are too much to lug around-hence the purchase of the medium
bottle (twice the capacity of the small, half of the large).

Plan on spending $800 for a 110 machine with bottle purchase or upwards of
$1000 for 220. Don't waste $600 on anything less than Miller, Hobart or
Lincoln.

I use a Lincoln 135T ($500 open box deal) CAR40 Bottle ($190) and a Princess
Auto Mig Cart ($55 on sale) and I have been extremely happy with the setup
after exchanging the small bottle for the medium. After welding in new
floors, I feel the setup has paid for itself.
-Brian

Old February 7th 05, 09:44 PM
HarryS

You will find a 120vac mig welder with optional gas hook-up will be all you
need I have use one for many years anything bigger you just blow holes in
the metal this is the model I use.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=00 920668000
HarryS

Old February 7th 05, 11:24 PM
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

griffin wrote:

> Looking to get a welder that will mostly be for doing body work on the Jeep
> and some other bits of metal work in the shop. What do you guys recommend?
> The budget is about $500 CDN + $100 for the gas bottle. I'm thinking mig,
> 220V with gas feed. Don't know much else about what to look for and what to
> stay away from. Been looking at Deca, Lincoln, and a few others. Any input
> would be great!

In that price range, You'll either be looking at a very cheap MIG or a
used one unless you get one of the lesser-featured HTP welders. They're
good machines and the parts availability problem of the past is ancient
history since they make almost everything compatible with Tweaco (sp?),
Miller and othe name brand parts these days.

Check out:
http://www.usaweld.com/products/mig_...s/mig_140.html
and:
http://www.usaweld.com/products/mig_...s/mig_160.html

The prices listed in the catalog I have are $749 for the 140 and $919
for the 160. HTP has a 120 for $409, but it lacks the stitch and spot
weld features that the bigger ones have. Once you use these, you'll
wonder why every welder maker on the planet doesn't include them in
their own line. Then again, maybe the 120 would be a good first welder
for someone.

I'd recommend staying away from anything sold at the hardware-store
level. Most of them (no matter whree they're made) are really low end
and have duty cycles that can be awfully restricting. I've seen Lincolns
that have a 15% duty cycle. Pretty frustrating welding a 6" bead and
having to wait a couple minutes before you can continue because the
transformer in the welder is about to go thermonuclear and the fan in it
is smaller than the one in the computer you're using right now.

Welding tanks aren't very expensive - here are a few I found on eBay:
http://search.ebay.com/welding-tank_...jsZ1QQfromZR40
Depending on how much gas you use and what you're welding, it might be
better to just rent one. You won't need argon unless you're welding
aluminum. CO2/argon mix is good for almost anything steel and is a LOT
cheaper than pure argon. For home welding use, I'd recommend maybe about
a 40 to 80 cubic foot tank. That should last a long time with occasional
use.

To give you an idea where I'm personally coming from with my opinions, I
have a Lincoln 240 amp Arc (the big red doghouse that can burn holes in
army tanks) and an older Century MIG as well as a Victor gas setup. I'm
thinking about getting rid of the Century just because it's not as
versatile as the newer HTP's are. The Century has been a great welder
for everything I've ever needed to do body work wise. Maybe you should
think about getting a used MIG and a used arc as well. Between the two,
you can do just about anything short of opening your own welding shop.

Good luck,
- Jeff G

Old February 8th 05, 02:26 AM
Snow

> I use a Lincoln 135T ($500 open box deal) CAR40 Bottle ($190) and a
> Princess
> Auto Mig Cart ($55 on sale) and I have been extremely happy with the setup
> after exchanging the small bottle for the medium. After welding in new
> floors, I feel the setup has paid for itself.
> -Brian

I know who paid for the stand ..lol your old machine worked wonders on
re-skinning the one rocker panel, at least now it has a metal surface. I
should have used a bit thicker metal though, lots of burn through, mind was
my first welding work in about 20 yrs.

Snow...

Old February 8th 05, 11:14 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

That's a pretty remarkable little machine when you get the hang of it! I'm
glad you're happy with it.

-Brian

.. .

Old February 9th 05, 01:22 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"griffin" > wrote in message
newskNNd.313551$6l.74599@pd7tw2no...
> Any input
> would be great!

see http://collierwelding.com/tech/welders/index.html

honestly though you couldnt give me a 220v microwire welder selling for
$500. welding equipment isnt an area where you want to cut corners.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old February 9th 05, 06:48 PM
griffin

Thanks for all the info and input! I'm not looking at the following:

Lincoln 135T or 175T (175T on sale for $600 CDN plus regulator and bottle)
Hobart 140 and 180 series.

I'm leaning towards the 175T ...about $850-$950 after I'm all done with
accessories/taxes. Double what I'd hoped to spend but from the sounds of it,
it's a pretty decent machine for a beginner doing bodywork on a rusted CJ
....unless anyone thinks this welder is a mistake? Also, how much of an
advantage is the 220V over the 110V ...is it worth the price difference
(about $150-200)?

Old February 9th 05, 08:13 PM
Rusted

I will give you one vote for the Lincoln 175T. Plenty big to weld auto
parts with, will be great for body and sheet metal work. Yes it is an
investment, and yes it is more than you wanted to spend originally, but with
this option you will have a useful tool that you will not soon outgrow. You
just can't get enough heat (amps) out of a little 110V welder for jeep / fab
type work. The 220V opens you up to take on those type of projects. That
price sounds like a good deal, is this from an online place or a local shop?

Old February 9th 05, 09:34 PM
Cherokee-Ltd

"griffin" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all the info and input! I'm not looking at the following:
>
> Lincoln 135T or 175T (175T on sale for $600 CDN plus regulator and bottle)
> Hobart 140 and 180 series.

Find out if the 175T is refurbished for that price, that's a heck of a deal.
Nothing wrong with refurbished, same warranty etc. just nice to know up
front when comparing prices. I'm not positive about this (double check
before basing a decision), I think Miller/Hobart warranty work gets shipped
to the US while Lincoln is performed in Canada. This is not likely to be an
issue.
I'd rather spend $600 on a 175T than a 135Plus (around the same price).

-Brian

Can a type 2 body be removed from the frame for body work? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 February 6th 05 12:49 AM
Body Work by Bambi Jeepster Jeep 3 January 6th 05 11:02 AM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 16th 04 11:38 PM
body work need in los angeles area Antique cars 0 October 20th 04 09:49 AM