One Less WJ On The Road

Old May 7th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default One Less WJ On The Road

Well, it seems that there is going to be one less WJ on the road in
Houston... Grace had an accident in her 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited
4x4 early this evening... From what I've been able to gather, a white
Ford Mustang swerved into her lane on the highway and she slammed on
her brakes and attempted to swerve into the next lane in an attempt to
avoid hitting him... Things got real interesting at that point and she
flipped it... Not sure how many times it rolled over, but it was
upright in the end... I would be extremely surprised if it was not
totalled... I don't think that the Mustang stayed around either...
Hell, she had just gotten through repairing quite a few door dings and
such over the car...
Old May 7th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Is your bride okay?

Old May 7th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Sat, 6 May 2006 23:47:41 -0400, "billy ray" wrote:
> Is your bride okay?

Not sure exactly what you mean by that comment, but both occupants in
the vehicle came out with minimal injuries... A couple of scrapes and
such, but nothing major (i.e. no broken bones, no uncontrolled
bleeding, no displaced body parts, etc)... Apparently, my constant
reminder to her to wear her seat belt properly (i.e. across the
pelvis, not across her stomach) is finally starting to sink in...
Old May 7th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Wow. Hope she is ok!
-jenn

Old May 7th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Nice to hear they're OK. The roll over is so typical from the
Explorer days when on a sharp turn, rather than skidding the Antilock
Brake System now realeases the low side wheels per axle with one wheel
each high and locked. And over it must go.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 7th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

#
#Not sure exactly what you mean by that comment, but both occupants in
#the vehicle came out with minimal injuries... A couple of scrapes and
#such, but nothing major (i.e. no broken bones, no uncontrolled
#bleeding, no displaced body parts, etc)... Apparently, my constant
#reminder to her to wear her seat belt properly (i.e. across the
#pelvis, not across her stomach) is finally starting to sink in...

Glad it sunk in in time! As long as everyone is ok, the rest is just
stuff. And stuff can be replaced so I think you made out ahead.
Anyone get the plate number off the pony?

People who have been upside down in a car tend to religiously wear
seatbelts. I don't think you will need to remind her anymore!

I rolled a YJ in '91 and the only injury I got was when I popped
the buckle to get out and fell on my head. The sad thing was that
the next day, someone came into the shop and said, "I can do better
than dat!" and towed in a almost identical YJ that was in a roll
over. He had a shredded hard top vs. my mostly intact soft top.
Boy, that was a mess. The guy's dog was a fatality, too.

/herb
Old May 7th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Sun, 07 May 2006 00:39:56 -0500, (Herb Leong)
wrote:
> Glad it sunk in in time! As long as everyone is ok, the rest is just
> stuff. And stuff can be replaced so I think you made out ahead.

Other than the fact that the ****in' insurance companies won't pay you
for the full cost of your vehicle even though they do not decrease
your rates over the years as it supposedly depreciates... On my plane,
I declare a value for it and pay hull insurance based on that declared
value... No matter how many years down the road, the insurance company
will pay me that same declared value in a total loss... The car
insurance companies rip us off on this... I have yet to have an
insurance company come back to me after a few years and say, "Well,
your car isn't worth as much as it used to be, so we're going to
reduce your insurance rates accordingly"...

> Anyone get the plate number off the pony?

Not that I know of... I doubt it though... I haven't seen the police
report yet...

The kicker is that she had just got through getting numerous door
dings and such fixed on her car and repainted...

> People who have been upside down in a car tend to religiously wear
> seatbelts. I don't think you will need to remind her anymore!

MANY years ago, I had a Baja Bug... We used to take it on the levees
and often rolled it... We had 4-point harnesses in it and I spent
quite a bit of time upside down... Yet another reason that guys don't
live as long as women... When we're young, we do *really* stupid
things...

> I rolled a YJ in '91 and the only injury I got was when I popped
> the buckle to get out and fell on my head.

Yeah, gravity sucks, doesn't it? <grin>
Old May 7th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Well, you may be glad to know that it does happen in New Zealand (where I am from).

Both my vehicles are on what is called an "agreed value" insurance policy. My insurance company and I revise that value every year at renewal and that adjusts the premium that I pay. Incidentally the policy covers everything, including off-road use for recreational use (as long as I am not timed or have to wear a helmet, it is considered recreational).

The funny thing is that my wife's car is depreciating faster than my Wrangler, which has not changed in value much in the past two years. Wranglers have a novelty factor here, so maintain their values very well.

TW

Old May 7th 06, 10:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Sorry to hear that
BTW which highway? US 59 Humble area is notorious for wrecks.
I'm glad every one is Ok.
Good luck in the future.

dr_kill
04 Montecarlo 3.4L
Metallic Silver 20% Black Tint
Cat-back 3" straight pipe
Flowmaster Muffler

Old May 7th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Sun, 7 May 2006 04:24:09 -0500, "GENERAL LEE" >
wrote:
> BTW which highway? US 59 Humble area is notorious for wrecks.

US-59 on the SW side, just past Beltway 8... Hell, US-59 is notorious
for wrecks, no matter what part you're on... Usually it is just the
normal rush hour fender benders though... This accident couldn't be
blamed on road conditions though... The road is not under construction
here and it is quite a few lanes wide... The idiot in the Mustang just
decided to quickly change lanes on top of her... Didn't even *slowly*
change lanes, just quickly jerked it into her lane and she tried to
avoid... I'm not really sure if the vehicles touched... She seems to
think that she felt a bump or heard a loud noise, but it happened so
quickly, she's not really sure... It's not like her WJ is so small
that the idiot in the Mustang couldn't see it! Oh well, she's been
wanting to get something that gets better gas mileage anyway... Maybe
I can convince her to get one of the diesel VWs with a 5-speed...
She's kind of lazy and likes an automatic though...