new battery - about 5yrs

Old June 27th 12, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

Default new battery - about 5yrs

ok - since we are here with the new battery,
and a chopped "negative" battery cable
that was/is now in the screw/clamp terminal on the post....

#1 - What can we use to smear on the terminal post, cable, clamp
to help inhibit the corrosion ?

#2 - What is the reaction that causes the corrosion,
and why only on the "negative" battery terminal ?

Old June 27th 12, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

ps56k wrote:

> ok - since we are here with the new battery,
> and a chopped "negative" battery cable
> that was/is now in the screw/clamp terminal on the post....
>
> #1 - What can we use to smear on the terminal post, cable, clamp
> to help inhibit the corrosion ?
>
> #2 - What is the reaction that causes the corrosion,
> and why only on the "negative" battery terminal ?

You can buy a spray to coat it. I usually just glop on a wad of vaseline or
wheel bearing grease after I tighten the clamp. Messy, but right at home
under a Jeep hood ;-)

The reaction is the sulphuric acid and local metal. Easy way to claen it is
to pour baking soda over the terminal then wet the powder. Let it fizz a
while then wash the top of the battery really well with water. In a pinch,
pouring a bottle of Coke on the terminal will also work but that makes for a
sticky mess.

--
Will Honea

Old June 29th 12, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ[_2_]

On 6/27/2012 12:09 PM, ps56k wrote:
> ok - since we are here with the new battery,
> and a chopped "negative" battery cable
> that was/is now in the screw/clamp terminal on the post....
>
> #1 - What can we use to smear on the terminal post, cable, clamp
> to help inhibit the corrosion ?
>
> #2 - What is the reaction that causes the corrosion,
> and why only on the "negative" battery terminal ?

Sounds like you modified the cable: not a good plan. They like to
corrode inside the clamp area. Replace it with a new crimped cable. Not
too expensive, good insurance.