Octane fuel to use for a 92 Passat CL

Old September 20th 04, 05:13 PM
Tavish Muldoon

Default Octane fuel to use for a 92 Passat CL

Hello!

I have a used 92 Passat CL with no drivers manual anymore. The fuel
opening area say 87 Octane is fine, but premium fuel is preferred.

I assume there must be some knock sensor to detect grades of fuel?

Is there any benefit to using premiun (91,92,93 or 94) octane vs. 87
in this model of car?

Better MPG? The difference in cost between a litre of 87 and 91-94 is
$0.20/ litre - so it is significant (1 US Gallon ~= 3.8 litres). I am
trying to see if is worthwhile

Right now in the city, a 70 litre tank of 87 gas gets me around 600km
in the city, around 800+ km on the hightway. (1 mile ~= 1.6 km)

Thanks,

Tmuld.
Old September 20th 04, 05:26 PM
joe lang

"Tavish Muldoon" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello!
>
> I have a used 92 Passat CL with no drivers manual anymore. The fuel
> opening area say 87 Octane is fine, but premium fuel is preferred.
>
> I assume there must be some knock sensor to detect grades of fuel?

yes.

>Is there any benefit to using premiun (91,92,93 or 94) octane vs. 87
> in this model of car?

yes. to a point.

> Better MPG?

correct. offset a bit by higher price. just a bit.
more power too. you make your choices.

>The difference in cost between a litre of 87 and 91-94 is
> $0.20/ litre - so it is significant (1 US Gallon ~= 3.8 litres). I am
> trying to see if is worthwhile
>
> Right now in the city, a 70 litre tank of 87 gas gets me around 600km
> in the city, around 800+ km on the hightway. (1 mile ~= 1.6 km)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tmuld.

my prediction - you are going to get ALOT of news on this post. most it
will be BS. but not all.

Old September 21st 04, 04:11 AM
Rob Guenther

Try each grade and see which works the best for performance/fuel economy...
it might be cheaper to use something like 89 Octane (mid grade) it was this
way with our 91 Golf..... Going to 91 Octane didn't help economy or power,
but it got better performance then with 87.

Fuel supply problem Major Tom Corvette 0 January 4th 05 04:31 AM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 04:41 PM
76 Difficult Cold Starts daveo76 Corvette 22 September 9th 04 12:54 AM
Incoming/outgoing fuel line on 99 Saturn SL1? Joey Saturn 2 July 15th 04 09:21 PM