accelerator sticky?? 88 Cabriolet

Old August 1st 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
bolo

Default accelerator sticky?? 88 Cabriolet

I have a 1988 VW cabriolet. It is a cool ride, it takes a lot of care,
seems to be something interesting going on inside it. BUT, this is my
question (I checked your faq's - no avail). For some reason not sure why,
but recently my accelerator pedal seems to be sticky. It only does it in
acceleration and does not stick open. But, I have noticed that when
shifting, if I remove my foot from the accelerator, shift and then apply
pressure to the pedal, it tends to want to jump. I have lubed the pedal,
and the throttle, tightened the adjustment on the cable before it reaches
the throttle. I don't notice it doing it if I am sitting still, only when
shifting as previously described. Am I missing a lube location?

Also, another question. The clutch seems very tight. It does not bother
me, but my wife says it is very hard for her to drive the car, and my kids
refuse to drive it because of this reason (I know, I know - what's my
complaint - right :-). Someone told me this is because of a broken bracket
behind the dash that a cable is attached to. But i can't seem to find it,
and i am too old and fat to get to far up under there.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Bolo

Old August 1st 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
al

bolo wrote:

> I have a 1988 VW cabriolet. It is a cool ride, it takes a lot of care,
> seems to be something interesting going on inside it. BUT, this is my
> question (I checked your faq's - no avail). For some reason not sure why,
> but recently my accelerator pedal seems to be sticky. It only does it in
> acceleration and does not stick open. But, I have noticed that when
> shifting, if I remove my foot from the accelerator, shift and then apply
> pressure to the pedal, it tends to want to jump. I have lubed the pedal,
> and the throttle, tightened the adjustment on the cable before it reaches
> the throttle. I don't notice it doing it if I am sitting still, only when
> shifting as previously described. Am I missing a lube location?
>

> Also, another question. The clutch seems very tight. It does not bother
> me, but my wife says it is very hard for her to drive the car, and my kids
> refuse to drive it because of this reason (I know, I know - what's my
> complaint - right :-). Someone told me this is because of a broken
> bracket
> behind the dash that a cable is attached to. But i can't seem to find it,
> and i am too old and fat to get to far up under there.
>

> Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
>

> Bolo

Instead of thightening the accelerator cable, I would loosen it somehow,
giving it a little slack.

al.
Old August 1st 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Are you sure it is not an engine mount making things "jump"? Maybe the
front one or the rear one?

Also did you lube the clutch cable? You could take off one end, trans side,
and invert it to lube it. It usually makes a difference if the cable is
still good.
It used to be the A2 pedal bracket were prone to breakage if the clutch
cable was too stiff. I don't recall ever having an A1 bracket crack or
break but there is always the first time! ;-)

--
later,
dave

Old August 1st 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
bolo

Tried that as well, does not seem to make a difference.
Thanks Al.

Old August 1st 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
bolo

I thought that too about the motor mounts, but they are not. It is more
like the pedal reaches a point of resistance, and by pressing the
accelerator a little harder it goes, but lurches.

I will try the lube on the cable. I am glad it may not be a bracket, like i
said i am too old and fat to get up there and fix it. It would just have to
stay broken.

Thanks many Daves!

.. .

Old August 2nd 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes lube the Clutch Cable.
Yes lube the Accelerator Cable.

Make sure that the throttle body works correctly. The linkage for its
valves must work freely and return to rest smoothly.
--
later,
dave

.. .

Old August 2nd 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
al

bolo wrote:

> Tried that as well, does not seem to make a difference.
> Thanks Al.
>
> "al" > wrote in message
>> bolo wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 1988 VW cabriolet. It is a cool ride, it takes a lot of care,
>>> seems to be something interesting going on inside it. BUT, this is my
>>> question (I checked your faq's - no avail). For some reason not sure
>>> why,
>>> but recently my accelerator pedal seems to be sticky. It only does it
>>> in
>>> acceleration and does not stick open. But, I have noticed that when
>>> shifting, if I remove my foot from the accelerator, shift and then apply
>>> pressure to the pedal, it tends to want to jump. I have lubed the
>>> pedal, and the throttle, tightened the adjustment on the cable before it
>>> reaches
>>> the throttle. I don't notice it doing it if I am sitting still, only
>>> when
>>> shifting as previously described. Am I missing a lube location?
>>>

>>> Also, another question. The clutch seems very tight. It does not
>>> bother me, but my wife says it is very hard for her to drive the car,
>>> and my kids
>>> refuse to drive it because of this reason (I know, I know - what's my
>>> complaint - right :-). Someone told me this is because of a broken
>>> bracket
>>> behind the dash that a cable is attached to. But i can't seem to find
>>> it,
>>> and i am too old and fat to get to far up under there.
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
>>>

>>> Bolo

>> Instead of thightening the accelerator cable, I would loosen it somehow,
>> giving it a little slack.
>>
>> al.

What about cleaning the throttle-body?

al.

Accelerator Cable [email protected] VW air cooled 7 June 29th 07 12:45 PM
96 SL with bad accelerator pump??? Mike Swift Saturn 6 February 19th 07 11:04 PM
Stuck accelerator? X-3 RichieP BMW 8 January 18th 06 03:37 PM
Accelerator Buzzing mnt Ford Explorer 0 February 18th 05 03:21 AM
accelerator cable dragenwagen VW air cooled 4 January 21st 05 10:52 PM