Unable to Tighten GM Side Mount Battery Terminal

Old June 18th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Default Unable to Tighten GM Side Mount Battery Terminal

HLS wrote:

> "jim" > wrote in message
>
>> Lasting forever is not the question. I have taken apart side mounted
>> terminals that have been installed for 3-5 years and found the sealed
>> inner metal parts to be still like new. That doesn't happen with top
>> posts. It doesn't matter if the top posts are sealed with a rubber
>> boot or
>> with vaseline or lacquer or whatever - Taking them apart after 3-5 years
>> of service they never look like new. The simple fact that you feel the
>> need to add sealant of some kind is an indication of the problem with top
>> posts. Not that there aren't advantages to top post batteries, but
>> they do
>> on average require more maintenance.
>>
>> -jim

> I more or less agree. Side terminals would not be expected to go
> corrosed in 3-5
> years, but as the car ages they sometimes DO become internally
> corroded,. leading
> to difficulties. Whether top or side posts, I maintain mine regularly
> and usually apply
> Vaseline to help offset corrosion. They require minimal maintainance to
> keep them
> working well.

My experience is that terminal corrosion is 100% a function of how
tightly the battery case is sealed. Neither top nor side posts will
corrode with a sealed battery like an Optima. Yes, I HAVE removed Optima
top-post clamps after 5-6 years and found shiny metal under the clamp.
Both types will also corrode (and BADLY) with any battery that has a
poor vapor seal around the terminal itself. I've seen plenty of
side-post batteries with the threaded bolt eaten away to nothing.

Old June 19th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"Steve W." > wrote in :

> sdlomi2 wrote:
>> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>>> "HLS" > wrote in news:W8u5k.5666$89.5244
>>> @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

>>> What's the point of side-mount terminals?

>> I'd bet the decision was a joint one between corrosion-proofing
>> AND
>> shipping. Ever notice at battery stores--not Sears, etc., but
>> battery distributors--how they stack the side-post batteries several
>> deep? Don't think they do so with the top posts. s
>>

> I asked an Exide rep about it once. he told me it was because of a few
> things. One was hood clearance related, another was that it reduces
> the stress on the cable and terminal and the last was that it was
> safety related (the side terminals are harder to short out with metal
> items).

I suspect the primary reason is hood clearance, which would have been
of prime importance in the days before the NHTSA created the
"safety" bulging-hood look.

That and shipping costs.

--
Tegger

Old June 19th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Steve" > wrote in message news:L_2dnTtSz4U9-

> My experience is that terminal corrosion is 100% a function of how tightly
> the battery case is sealed. Neither top nor side posts will corrode with a
> sealed battery like an Optima. Yes, I HAVE removed Optima top-post clamps
> after 5-6 years and found shiny metal under the clamp. Both types will
> also corrode (and BADLY) with any battery that has a poor vapor seal
> around the terminal itself. I've seen plenty of side-post batteries with
> the threaded bolt eaten away to nothing.

True enough, but few of us opt for Optima.

Side post and top post can both corrode severely. It is really not much of
task to take the darn things off, check their condition, and clean and
grease them
if need be..

Old June 19th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

HLS wrote:

> "Steve" > wrote in message news:L_2dnTtSz4U9-
>>
>> My experience is that terminal corrosion is 100% a function of how
>> tightly the battery case is sealed. Neither top nor side posts will
>> corrode with a sealed battery like an Optima. Yes, I HAVE removed
>> Optima top-post clamps after 5-6 years and found shiny metal under the
>> clamp. Both types will also corrode (and BADLY) with any battery that
>> has a poor vapor seal around the terminal itself. I've seen plenty of
>> side-post batteries with the threaded bolt eaten away to nothing.

> True enough, but few of us opt for Optima.

My experience is that its a break-even on cost. They last longer, but
that initial buy is some serious sticker shock.

> Side post and top post can both corrode severely. It is really not
> much of a
> task to take the darn things off, check their condition, and clean and
> grease them
> if need be..

Nope, but most people never open their cars' hoods anymore.

I've mentioned that I just bought a Jeep from a co-worker, and in going
through it I find it appalling how many little things are so nasty and
gnarly that would *never* get that way in one of my cars. He took care
of it- I doubt it ever missed am oil change- but he did NOTHING himself
so none of it was done with any care at all. Just the necessary service,
nevermind wiping up a drop of spilled fluid here, cleaning a battery
terminal there, wiping off some oxidation there, picking some leaves
out of a cranny over there. It all adds up over time.

The other lesson I learned was just how many danged fluids there are to
change in a 4x4. OK, so its just a transfer case and front axle more
than any other vehicle, but it seems like a lot more when you do ALL the
fluids within a week!
Old June 19th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Steve" > wrote in message news:Tv-
> Nope, but most people never open their cars' hoods anymore.
>
> I've mentioned that I just bought a Jeep from a co-worker, and in going
> through it I find it appalling how many little things are so nasty and
> gnarly that would *never* get that way in one of my cars. He took care of
> it- I doubt it ever missed am oil change- but he did NOTHING himself so
> none of it was done with any care at all. Just the necessary service,
> nevermind wiping up a drop of spilled fluid here, cleaning a battery
> terminal there, wiping off some oxidation there, picking some leaves out
> of a cranny over there. It all adds up over time.
>
> The other lesson I learned was just how many danged fluids there are to
> change in a 4x4. OK, so its just a transfer case and front axle more than
> any other vehicle, but it seems like a lot more when you do ALL the fluids
> within a week!

That is for sure... Buying a used car nowadays, from an individual, is an
exercise
in risk taking. I dont know about the dealership or factory certified used
cars.

I had gotten off my soapbox about dealership mechanics, but recently had
another runin with them. Case in point, my FIL's Sonoma which ate an
alternator at 30,000 miles. Took it to his friend, who is service manager
at a local dealership. Replaced the alternator, but when they brought it
home
the Service Engine Soon light came on.

I pulled the codes, which indicated oxygen sensor, but took it back to the
friendly local dealership. They installed a new ECM, reprogrammed it...
SES came back on, and the truck ran and shifted like the devil.
Took it back.. They replaced the O2 sensors. SES light came back on.
Took it back.. This time they found what was wrong, about a thousand bucks
later..

That service manager IS a good person. But somewhere, something went wrong.
Were they guessing, or diagnosing??

It was not my car, my money, nor my choice where to take it, but this
scenario just
doesnt smell right.

Old June 19th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Steve wrote:
> HLS wrote:
>>
>> "jim" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Lasting forever is not the question. I have taken apart side mounted
>>> terminals that have been installed for 3-5 years and found the sealed
>>> inner metal parts to be still like new. That doesn't happen with top
>>> posts. It doesn't matter if the top posts are sealed with a rubber
>>> boot or
>>> with vaseline or lacquer or whatever - Taking them apart after 3-5 years
>>> of service they never look like new. The simple fact that you feel the
>>> need to add sealant of some kind is an indication of the problem with
>>> top
>>> posts. Not that there aren't advantages to top post batteries, but
>>> they do
>>> on average require more maintenance.
>>>
>>> -jim

>> I more or less agree. Side terminals would not be expected to go
>> corrosed in 3-5
>> years, but as the car ages they sometimes DO become internally
>> corroded,. leading
>> to difficulties. Whether top or side posts, I maintain mine regularly
>> and usually apply
>> Vaseline to help offset corrosion. They require minimal maintainance
>> to keep them
>> working well.

> My experience is that terminal corrosion is 100% a function of how
> tightly the battery case is sealed. Neither top nor side posts will
> corrode with a sealed battery like an Optima. Yes, I HAVE removed Optima
> top-post clamps after 5-6 years and found shiny metal under the clamp.
> Both types will also corrode (and BADLY) with any battery that has a
> poor vapor seal around the terminal itself. I've seen plenty of
> side-post batteries with the threaded bolt eaten away to nothing.

I live in the rust belt and the Optima battery posts will still corrode
to the point of a no start condition. This has happened on both our
Jeeps and my CJ is now in need of another terminal clean.

Now it 'has' been 4 years on this connection, but they still do corrode.

Mike
Old June 19th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

HLS wrote:

> That is for sure... Buying a used car nowadays, from an individual, is
> an exercise
> in risk taking.

Not so much in my case: I've known this car since it was new and worked
on it once or twice for the co-worker who owned it. But it sure shows a
difference in "car care" vs "basic maintenance."

Old June 21st 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
mr158912

make sure the termanl bolt for the battery did not break off inside
battery not allowing it to seat all the way in and did you strip it out??

Old February 22nd 15, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I had the same problem on and off. I used a gold plated electrical connector as a washe, end of problem. Cost $ 10.00 >< for a pack of 10
Old May 1st 19, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Monday, June 16, 2008 at 3:10:43 AM UTC-10, hubcit wrote:
> maybe just get a flat washer and put it in there to fill the space.

Make sure that the lead of the battery cable attaches to the battery face-to-face and any washer goes on the screw side, for best high current transfer at the lower auto voltage of 12.8 volts.

Why you should remove the negative battery terminal before doing ANYTHING!!!! Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B Technology 57 November 19th 07 05:05 PM
Battery terminal short Paul Technology 6 July 10th 06 05:39 PM
Battery terminal bolt replacement [email protected] Chrysler 5 June 15th 06 11:43 PM
How to change the battery terminal Jonelle H via CarKB.com Ford Explorer 1 September 5th 05 01:13 PM
Water on positive battery terminal? Leon van Dommelen Mazda 13 August 2nd 05 05:10 PM