Thumping noise making me crazy

Old July 5th 08, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
applefr3ak

Default Thumping noise making me crazy

Hey guys.. New to the list.. First Beetle i have owned... I have had a
few busses a few type 3's but never a beetle.. so i have a 71 Super..
1600DP.. No rust A rarity here in Utah Anyone else on the list
from around here?? Well here is my issue.. I am running 15 inch empi 8
spokes. pretty wide 145's on there. But lately.. last month or so.. I
have had this thumping noise coming from the right rear wheel it
seems.. It speeds up as the car speeds up and slows down as the car
does, I did have a nail in the tire, Went and got that fixed.. seemed
just a smidge better.. But its still there.. on the freeway i dont
notice it.. but thats probably cause im going 70 and its noisy lol.
any ideas as to what it could be?? Tires are pretty new... I jacked
the car up.. didnt feel much play in the bearing.. there was a little,
but i know there is supposed to be just a little. Any help would be
appreciated. I may rotate the tires and see if the sound moves to the
front.. if so.. maybe off balance somehow?? Any ideas will be
appreciated

Thanks,
Jason
71 SB Ogden, UT
Old July 5th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_3_]

applefr3ak wrote:
> Hey guys.. New to the list.. First Beetle i have owned... I have had a
> few busses a few type 3's but never a beetle.. so i have a 71 Super..
> 1600DP.. No rust A rarity here in Utah Anyone else on the list
> from around here?? Well here is my issue.. I am running 15 inch empi 8
> spokes. pretty wide 145's on there. But lately.. last month or so.. I
> have had this thumping noise coming from the right rear wheel it
> seems.. It speeds up as the car speeds up and slows down as the car
> does, I did have a nail in the tire, Went and got that fixed.. seemed
> just a smidge better.. But its still there.. on the freeway i dont
> notice it.. but thats probably cause im going 70 and its noisy lol.
> any ideas as to what it could be?? Tires are pretty new... I jacked
> the car up.. didnt feel much play in the bearing.. there was a little,
> but i know there is supposed to be just a little. Any help would be
> appreciated. I may rotate the tires and see if the sound moves to the
> front.. if so.. maybe off balance somehow?? Any ideas will be
> appreciated
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
> 71 SB Ogden, UT

Hi and welcome to the group.

One of the best parts sources happens to be in Utah: www.aircooled.net
They may have some club info too, I don't know. Email links on their
website. They do come here to talk too occasionally

Rotating the tires is a good idea. There is very little else that could
be wrong with the rear. Maybe the tire is out of round, or has some
other hard to find damage in the internal structure, causing a raised
spot on the tread surface. A tire like that will usually die a horrible,
sudden death, when the tread separates from the body of the tire,
exposing the steel belts and letting air out. Replace the tire, maybe
they even have a warranty on them since they are so new, even if you
didn't opt for an extra warranty package when you bought them.
It doesn't sound like a balancing problem.

Jan
Old July 5th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Bug Bitten huh? lol.........like the rest of us here on this group. ;-)

I am with Jan on this........rotate the tires to see if the noise changes
positions.

Also check out the CV Joints. Maybe one is a little stiff due to old grease
or no grease. ;-)
I guess I would also check the large center rear drum nut to make sure that
it is good n tight!

Your car is telling you to check that noise out before something bigger
happens! 8^o

Here is a site that you should bookmark for the future........it is run by
Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old July 6th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
> I guess I would also check the large center rear drum nut to make sure

that
> it is good n tight!

do this first...

Old July 6th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Have a look at the shock absorber bushes as well. If they perish the shock
absorber can hit mounting stud. Probably a sharper noise than a "thud" but
if the other blokes suggestions dont sort it......
John