Starter motors and alternators - which to buy?

Old May 13th 09, 10:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Starter motors and alternators - which to buy?

Hi,

Here is an ignorant question I'm hoping there is an easy answer to:
who makes the decisions when it comes to which brand of starter motor
or alternator?

Is it the auto electrician himself? Do they have preferred suppliers
and are they incentivised to stick with them?

Do consumers have any say in which brand they should choose from?

Stu
Old May 13th 09, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On May 13, 5:34*am, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is an ignorant question I'm hoping there is an easy answer to:
> who makes the decisions when it comes to which brand of starter motor
> or alternator?
>
> Is it the auto electrician himself? Do they have preferred suppliers
> and are they incentivised to stick with them?
>
> Do consumers have any say in which brand they should choose from?
>
> Stu

You can always ask what brand will be installed, but most likely it'll
be whatever brand the auto parts store stocks that they call on a
regular basis. If the auto parts store doesn't have it in stock they
will either order one from their own warehouse, or go to an outside
source and get another brand so the installer will have it quicker.
Unless the installer is an authorized installer of a particular brand,
they usually don't care what brand they get as long as it works.

The mechanic usually doesn't have a say in what brand is being
installed. It all depends on the auto parts store that is called.
Shops usually stick to a few suppliers and usually call one more than
the others. (usually the cheapest price wins most of the time)

If you want a particular brand installed you might be better off
purchasing it yourself and then having a shop install it for you. The
bad side of doing this is the shop won't cover the part if anything
goes wrong with it, and usually the labor charge is more if you supply
your own parts.

Chas
Old May 14th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I have bought some Autozone alternators and starter motors over the many
years.I have never had any problems with them, other than ordinary wear
and tear.There is an auto electric repair shop less than one mile from
me.I have had a few things rebuilt there before.
cuhulin

Old May 14th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 13 May 2009 18:48:10 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

> Anumber1 wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Here is an ignorant question I'm hoping there is an easy answer to:
>>> who makes the decisions when it comes to which brand of starter motor
>>> or alternator?
>>>
>>> Is it the auto electrician himself? Do they have preferred suppliers
>>> and are they incentivised to stick with them?
>>>
>>> Do consumers have any say in which brand they should choose from?
>>>
>>> Stu

>> Rebuild the OEM part. An alternator or starter is cheap to have rebuilt
>> at a local auto electric re-builder (there are three in my neck of the
>> woods in a fairly small town).
>>
>> Brushes and diodes are cheap and a good auto electric shop will make the
>> original part good as new for half the price of the off-shore "rebuild"
>> that you buy from a chain autoparts store (that may or may not have been
>> done "well")
>>
>> It is not as convenient as going to autozone but will outlast anything
>> they offer, lifetime warranty or not.
>> Al

> Around here an in house rebuild is about 2x the cost of an OTC reman.
> That said I still would second your advice.
>
> nate

Not around here. i do 'em myself. Voltage regulator/rectifiers are about
$45, and brushes run all of $3 each. Bearings are in the $20 ballpark. As
long as the rotor/commutator are good, you're good to go.

Old May 14th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2009 18:48:10 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> Anumber1 wrote:

>>> Rebuild the OEM part. An alternator or starter is cheap to have rebuilt
>>> at a local auto electric re-builder (there are three in my neck of the
>>> woods in a fairly small town).
>>>
>>> Brushes and diodes are cheap and a good auto electric shop will make the
>>> original part good as new for half the price of the off-shore "rebuild"
>>> that you buy from a chain autoparts store (that may or may not have been
>>> done "well")
>>>
>>> It is not as convenient as going to autozone but will outlast anything
>>> they offer, lifetime warranty or not.
>>> Al

>> Around here an in house rebuild is about 2x the cost of an OTC reman.
>> That said I still would second your advice.
>>
>> nate

> Not around here. i do 'em myself. Voltage regulator/rectifiers are about
> $45, and brushes run all of $3 each. Bearings are in the $20 ballpark. As
> long as the rotor/commutator are good, you're good to go.

Agreed. I will rebuild my own stuff IF I can get parts. Delcos,
Autolites, that's still available at your FLAPS if you ask. Bosch...
not so much. Not sure why.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 14th 09, 10:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On May 13, 6:48*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Anumber1 wrote:
> > wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Here is an ignorant question I'm hoping there is an easy answer to:
> >> who makes the decisions when it comes to which brand of starter motor
> >> or alternator?

> >> Is it the auto electrician himself? Do they have preferred suppliers
> >> and are they incentivised to stick with them?

> >> Do consumers have any say in which brand they should choose from?

> >> Stu

> > Rebuild the OEM part. An alternator or starter is cheap to have rebuilt
> > at a local auto electric re-builder (there are three in my neck of the
> > woods in a fairly small town).

> > Brushes and diodes are cheap and a good auto electric shop will make the
> > original part good as new for half the price of the off-shore "rebuild"
> > that you buy from a chain autoparts store (that may or may not have been
> > done "well")

> > It is not as convenient as going to autozone but will outlast anything
> > they offer, lifetime warranty or not.
> > Al

> Around here an in house rebuild is about 2x the cost of an OTC reman.
> That said I still would second your advice.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Ditto. In my area getting an alternator or starter rebuilt is just as
pricey as buying one new.
Old May 14th 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On May 14, 5:52*am, m6onz5a > wrote:
> On May 13, 6:48*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

> > Anumber1 wrote:

> > > Rebuild the OEM part. An alternator or starter is cheap to have rebuilt
> > > at a local auto electric re-builder (there are three in my neck of the
> > > woods in a fairly small town).

> > > Brushes and diodes are cheap and a good auto electric shop will make the
> > > original part good as new for half the price of the off-shore "rebuild"
> > > that you buy from a chain autoparts store (that may or may not have been
> > > done "well")

> > > It is not as convenient as going to autozone but will outlast anything
> > > they offer, lifetime warranty or not.
> > > Al

> > Around here an in house rebuild is about 2x the cost of an OTC reman.
> > That said I still would second your advice.

> > nate

> > --
> > replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> Ditto. In my area getting an alternator or starter rebuilt is just as
> pricey as buying one new.

You *have* cars for which new starters are still available?

seriously, if nothing else, I patronize the rebuilder because I want
to make sure I can still get my stuff serviced in 5 years when even
the regular FLAPS remans are NLA. that and they do do their rebuilds
in house and bench test them before you ever pick them up.

nate