A complete Newbie needs help

Old May 22nd 05, 03:38 PM
tricky

my
> Mechanic says he can replace them all as well as give it a full tune
> up for about $300.

Get your self a MUIR book and the parts for about $50 Max all in.

Do it yourself, we are here to help ! You'll feel good and save a bunch
of bucks !

Maybe I can get NY to
> change the year to a 73 since it's closer to that than the 70 they
> have it listed as. I'm not beaten Yet!!!!!!! Confused but not beaten!
>
> Ken

The year is taken from the chassis, not the body ! Nothing wrong with
70 anywho :-)

Rich
Old May 22nd 05, 09:35 PM
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
..

..
> I'm begining to feel a little overwhelmed by all of this. From what I
> gathered so far I own a 1973 Beetle on a 1970 Chasiss,.. or at least
> that is what I get so far <Grin>. I think I got hosed since I paid
> $4,000 but I can't blalme the guy I got it from,.. he just never took
> the time to learn about his Beetle. The paperwork said 1970 so that is
> what he went by. On the bright side he told me that he paid $5000 for
> it 6 years ago so I did a little better than he did <Grin>

you didn't get "hosed" at all....you are happy with the car, and the
differences between a 70 and a 73 are not that great...heck you wouldn't
even know(yet) if RAMVA didn't speak up...LOL....if the car is in the shape
you say it is, then 4k is a great buy(especially here in the east)
reguardless of the "real" year....i also would advise *against* going to the
NY DMV and trying to get the paperwork changed...you may open up a can of
worms you don't want, then you may end up really feeling "hosed"....

Old May 22nd 05, 09:36 PM
Joey Tribiani

"tricky" > wrote in message

> my
> > Mechanic says he can replace them all as well as give it a full tune
> > up for about $300.

> Get your self a MUIR book and the parts for about $50 Max all in.
>
> Do it yourself, we are here to help ! You'll feel good and save a bunch
> of bucks !

if the plan is to do it yourself, pass on the Muir and get a *real*
manual....

Old May 22nd 05, 09:55 PM
geoffers

And another thing: having your car legally registered with the "older"
date will certainly allow you to be exempt from the stricter smog laws
that apply to newer year vehicles. Those smog laws may include provisions
that force you to keep the original smog equipment with the car. But, if
you are exempt, then you are free to drop in that type-4, 2.5 liter,
200++ hp engine into the engine compartment of your bug.

Of course, I am only conjecturing here. I don't know the smog regulations
that apply to New York registered vehicles.

Anyways, you sounded quite happy with your Beetle. I see no reason why
you should not be.

Geoffe Elias
'74 Super Beetle

Old May 22nd 05, 11:19 PM
Eduardo K.

In article >,
Shag > wrote:
>Spyware/viruses have eaten up my web server to the point that it's
>popping up obscene ads on the screen so I'm in the process right now
>of fdisk/format/reinstall so that link below won't work for a little
>while. :-)

stay away from windows!!!!

--
Eduardo K. | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl | Murphy, la oportunidad.
Old May 23rd 05, 03:01 PM
remco

> "tricky" > wrote in message
> >

> > my
> > > Mechanic says he can replace them all as well as give it a full tune
> > > up for about $300.

> > Get your self a MUIR book and the parts for about $50 Max all in.
> >
> > Do it yourself, we are here to help ! You'll feel good and save a bunch
> > of bucks !
> >

> if the plan is to do it yourself, pass on the Muir and get a *real*
> manual....

Welcome!

Also look to invest in instructional DVDs by bugmevideo.com -- for a
complete newbie, volume 1 is a must as it tells you how to change oil and
check valve adjustment (something very frequently needed on bugs). Still
read the books and manuals, but these videos leave no doubt as to how to do
it.

You never know, you might like it so much that you ditch PCs for a hobby and
start slinging wrenches

Remco

Old May 23rd 05, 06:32 PM
Jan Andersson

Joey Tribiani wrote:

> "tricky" > wrote in message
> >

> > my
> > > Mechanic says he can replace them all as well as give it a full tune
> > > up for about $300.

> > Get your self a MUIR book and the parts for about $50 Max all in.
> >
> > Do it yourself, we are here to help ! You'll feel good and save a bunch
> > of bucks !
> >

> if the plan is to do it yourself, pass on the Muir and get a *real*
> manual....

Get Muir, AND the Bentley book. Trust Bentley when it comes to hard data
and procedures, then translate to laymans terms with Muir. Muir also has
some neat DIY tricks that might save you some money/time/trouble.
Be sceptic about the Muir, but don't dismiss it totally. Double check
stuff from the Bentley book.

Jan
Old May 24th 05, 03:54 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> Get Muir, AND the Bentley book. Trust Bentley when it comes to hard data
> and procedures, then translate to laymans terms with Muir. Muir also has
> some neat DIY tricks that might save you some money/time/trouble.
> Be sceptic about the Muir, but don't dismiss it totally. Double check
> stuff from the Bentley book.
>
> Jan

its just real damn hard for me to suggest someone buy a Muir "manual" while
in the same breath telling them to be sceptical about the information it
contains...

Old May 24th 05, 07:02 AM
Jan

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
>

>>Get Muir, AND the Bentley book. Trust Bentley when it comes to hard data
>>and procedures, then translate to laymans terms with Muir. Muir also has
>>some neat DIY tricks that might save you some money/time/trouble.
>>Be sceptic about the Muir, but don't dismiss it totally. Double check
>>stuff from the Bentley book.
>>
>>Jan

> its just real damn hard for me to suggest someone buy a Muir "manual" while
> in the same breath telling them to be sceptical about the information it
> contains...

The Muir, when it agrees with the Bentley, is ok and it's much easier to
understand for a non-technical reader. It explains things better. Plus
it's entertaining with the funny illustrations etc.

Jan
Old May 24th 05, 08:54 AM
tricky

I found the Muir book a good read for the sake of reading. For a
complete newbie or not, you can learn alot and take a big step towards
knowing your VW, and have a laugh at the same time !

I have never felt the same about a haynes manual for intance - I wouldnt
sit down and read one of them cover to cover !

I guess Jan has a point - Read the muir book, then you know the basics
and more. Then if you want you can better understand any other tech
manual if you need to .

Rich