new battery - about 5yrs

Old June 19th 12, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

Default new battery - about 5yrs

Just replaced the battery in our 2001 Grand Cherokee.
So, the orig battery was 2001, then replaced at 2006, now again at 2012.

This would imply a general life of about 5 or 6 years.

Since I was stranded in a Home Depot parking lot,
and had a really hard time jumping the battery
and then keeping the engine from stalling out... for some reason...

Would it be better to be pro-active and just replace batteries every 5
years,
or wait for the eventual internal failure and being stranded... even with
always having jumper cables

--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

Old June 19th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

On 06/19/2012 11:32 AM, ps56k wrote:
> Just replaced the battery in our 2001 Grand Cherokee.
> So, the orig battery was 2001, then replaced at 2006, now again at 2012.
>
> This would imply a general life of about 5 or 6 years.
>
> Since I was stranded in a Home Depot parking lot,
> and had a really hard time jumping the battery
> and then keeping the engine from stalling out... for some reason...
>
> Would it be better to be pro-active and just replace batteries every 5
> years,
> or wait for the eventual internal failure and being stranded... even with
> always having jumper cables

I live in Arizona and batteries get worked pretty hard. I'll go 4 years
and replace. It depends a lot on your "climate". Consider it
preventative maintenance.

--
FRH

Old June 19th 12, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Frank_v7.0 wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 11:32 AM, ps56k wrote:
>> Just replaced the battery in our 2001 Grand Cherokee.
>> So, the orig battery was 2001, then replaced at 2006, now again at
>> 2012. This would imply a general life of about 5 or 6 years.
>>
>> Since I was stranded in a Home Depot parking lot,
>> and had a really hard time jumping the battery
>> and then keeping the engine from stalling out... for some reason...
>>
>> Would it be better to be pro-active and just replace batteries every
>> 5 years,
>> or wait for the eventual internal failure and being stranded... even
>> with always having jumper cables
>>

> I live in Arizona and batteries get worked pretty hard. I'll go 4
> years and replace. It depends a lot on your "climate". Consider it
> preventative maintenance.

Roughly the same here.

That's why I buy a high quality battery from Exide or Bosh with a 5-6 year
warranty. (some times you can find them non pro-rated). About every four
years I'm out another $30.

Easy way to tell when the battery is going is to look at the sides.
Batteries that are failing tend to swell and look "puffy".

I take mine out to about 4 then start testing them every now and then
for cranking amps and float. Fairly easy with the right tools and
some places like PepBoys/Autozone/etc will test the battery they
sell for free.

--
DougW

Old June 19th 12, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Paul[_30_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Frank_v7.0 wrote:
>> On 06/19/2012 11:32 AM, ps56k wrote:
>>> Just replaced the battery in our 2001 Grand Cherokee.
>>> So, the orig battery was 2001, then replaced at 2006, now again at
>>> 2012. This would imply a general life of about 5 or 6 years.
>>>
>>> Since I was stranded in a Home Depot parking lot,
>>> and had a really hard time jumping the battery
>>> and then keeping the engine from stalling out... for some reason...
>>>
>>> Would it be better to be pro-active and just replace batteries every
>>> 5 years,
>>> or wait for the eventual internal failure and being stranded... even
>>> with always having jumper cables
>>>

>> I live in Arizona and batteries get worked pretty hard. I'll go 4
>> years and replace. It depends a lot on your "climate". Consider it
>> preventative maintenance.

> Roughly the same here.
>
> That's why I buy a high quality battery from Exide or Bosh with a 5-6 year
> warranty. (some times you can find them non pro-rated). About every four
> years I'm out another $30.
>
> Easy way to tell when the battery is going is to look at the sides.
> Batteries that are failing tend to swell and look "puffy".
>
> I take mine out to about 4 then start testing them every now and then
> for cranking amps and float. Fairly easy with the right tools and
> some places like PepBoys/Autozone/etc will test the battery they
> sell for free.
>
> --
> DougW

The yellow top Optima in my YJ is 10...

PaulinVA

Old June 20th 12, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ[_2_]

On 6/19/2012 1:32 PM, ps56k wrote:
> Just replaced the battery in our 2001 Grand Cherokee.
> So, the orig battery was 2001, then replaced at 2006, now again at 2012.
>
> This would imply a general life of about 5 or 6 years.
>
> Since I was stranded in a Home Depot parking lot,
> and had a really hard time jumping the battery
> and then keeping the engine from stalling out... for some reason...
>
> Would it be better to be pro-active and just replace batteries every 5
> years,
> or wait for the eventual internal failure and being stranded... even with
> always having jumper cables

I generally buy a 5 or 6 year warranty battery, replace at the first
signs of weak start any time after 4 years. If the battery give me ANY
grief at the 3/4 mark, it is false economy to stretch it the least bit.

Replacing it 'just because' is pushing my envelope a bit, can't argue
with the general thought though.
Old June 20th 12, 11:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On 6/19/2012 4:15 PM, Frank_v7.0 wrote:
> I live in Arizona and batteries get worked pretty hard. I'll go 4 years
> and replace. It depends a lot on your "climate". Consider it
> preventative maintenance.

Here in NH it is not unusual to get 10 years from a battery. The battery
in my wife's VW Cabriolet is 13 years old and that car starts up like a
rocket (sure, I know it may die at almost any time, but so far so
good...) The battery in my Dodge truck is 8 years old, gets beat because
I plow with the truck, and still is going strong (I give that one a year
more perhaps!)

Climate is the main factor, colder climates make a battery very happy,
hot ones bake it to death in a few years.

--
I'm never going to grow up.

Old June 20th 12, 12:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
D-R[_2_]

On 6/19/2012 10:33 PM, RoyJ wrote:

> Replacing it 'just because' is pushing my envelope a bit, can't argue
> with the general thought though.

A lot of old folks remember when a battery gave you a warning before
it dies. That is not true of the new batteries. Pick a life span that
relates to it's quality and actually look at the cost. Even a $100
battery that only lasts 4 years has a cost of $.50 a week .. less than a
cup of coffee and surely less than the hassle of sitting there waiting
for assistance even if it does not cost you a bunch.

--

AJ -- To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason
is like administering medicine to the dead. - Thomas Payne
Old June 21st 12, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Jun 19, 12:32*pm, "ps56k" > wrote:
> Just replaced the battery in our 2001 Grand Cherokee.
> So, the orig battery was 2001, then replaced at 2006, now again at 2012.
>
> This would imply a general life of about 5 or 6 years.
>
> Since I was stranded in a Home Depot parking lot,
> and had a really hard time jumping the battery
> and then keeping the engine from stalling out... for some reason...
>
> Would it be better to be pro-active and just replace batteries every 5
> years,
> or wait for the eventual internal failure and being stranded... even with
> always having jumper cables
>
> --
> / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
> No Good Deed -
> * * * * *Goes Unpunished

I got 5 years out of the first battery and two years out of the second
one, so five years is sounding pretty good to me. Considering that
alternators literally abuse a battery, i.e, charging to fast in cold
weather, five years is really good.

I also have a 2001 GC and when the battery is dead forget about
attempting to drive it. There is not enough power to run the fuel
pump unless you can keep the engine at a high idle. That is why you
kept stalling out.

I did mange to limp to the repair place once I was able to jump start
it from my other jeep.

BTW this happened just after I had the radiator cap fail leaving a lot
of coolant on the driveway. So it was a weird time.

Larry
Old June 21st 12, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

PeterD wrote:

> On 6/19/2012 4:15 PM, Frank_v7.0 wrote:
>> I live in Arizona and batteries get worked pretty hard. I'll go 4 years
>> and replace. It depends a lot on your "climate". Consider it
>> preventative maintenance.

> Here in NH it is not unusual to get 10 years from a battery. The battery
> in my wife's VW Cabriolet is 13 years old and that car starts up like a
> rocket (sure, I know it may die at almost any time, but so far so
> good...) The battery in my Dodge truck is 8 years old, gets beat because
> I plow with the truck, and still is going strong (I give that one a year
> more perhaps!)
>
> Climate is the main factor, colder climates make a battery very happy,
> hot ones bake it to death in a few years.

Sounds pretty close to my experience in Colorado. When I bought the MJ the
dealer put in a new battery - obviously the cheapest one he could find - and
it lasted right at 10 years. The replacement Excide unit is 5 years old now
and still tests at 100% rated capacity.

Biggest killer for me has always been the mount. If the battery can bounce
around it usually goes in a hurry.

--
Will Honea

Old June 21st 12, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Larry wrote:

> On Jun 19, 12:32 pm, "ps56k" > wrote:
>> Just replaced the battery in our 2001 Grand Cherokee.
>> So, the orig battery was 2001, then replaced at 2006, now again at 2012.
>>
>> This would imply a general life of about 5 or 6 years.
>>
>> Since I was stranded in a Home Depot parking lot,
>> and had a really hard time jumping the battery
>> and then keeping the engine from stalling out... for some reason...
>>
>> Would it be better to be pro-active and just replace batteries every 5
>> years,
>> or wait for the eventual internal failure and being stranded... even with
>> always having jumper cables
>>
>> --
>> / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
>> No Good Deed -
>> Goes Unpunished

> I got 5 years out of the first battery and two years out of the second
> one, so five years is sounding pretty good to me. Considering that
> alternators literally abuse a battery, i.e, charging to fast in cold
> weather, five years is really good.
>
> I also have a 2001 GC and when the battery is dead forget about
> attempting to drive it. There is not enough power to run the fuel
> pump unless you can keep the engine at a high idle. That is why you
> kept stalling out.
>
> I did mange to limp to the repair place once I was able to jump start
> it from my other jeep.
>
> BTW this happened just after I had the radiator cap fail leaving a lot
> of coolant on the driveway. So it was a weird time.

After flying a/c maintenance flights for years, I'm one of those that
carries around one of those jump-start units. Good for 3-4 starts on a
charge, it can also be dropped in under the hood to get you home as it
charges just fine off the alternator. It's also a whole lot more convenient
than jumper cables when others need a jump so it's worth the $30 - $40 for
one of the Harbor Freight units.

--
Will Honea