96 XLT tune-up

Old August 4th 05, 01:34 AM
Randy Pavatte

Default 96 XLT tune-up

Hi all.
I have a 96 I bought used several years ago, and in this time I've never
had it tuned up. I've never experienced any drivablility issues, so I'm
wondering if it should be done despite this?
I have had the air filter changed a few times, but not the other typical
tune-up stuff.
I'd be grateful for any input, and thank you.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us
from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Old August 4th 05, 06:41 PM
Mikepier

How many miles on it? At the very least change the fuel filter.

Old August 4th 05, 07:13 PM
Happy Traveler

a) From my experience, the plug wires don't last too long. Consider yourself
very lucky if none has failed yet. They are not very cheap, but replacing is
good insurance, especially if you are planning a long trip and don't want to
become a victim of an unscrupulous mechanic somewhere. If your plugs have
not been changed in the last 50,000 miles, I would change them at the same
time, especially if you don't even know what type they are.
b) Follow the user's manual instruction for scheduled maintenance. Working
from memory:
1) Change coolant (at least check concentration)
2) Basic brake service: look for leaks, check brake pads thickness, have a
look at the rotors, grease caliper sliders. Some will argue with this, but I
would replace the brake fluid while at it.
3) Check differential fluid level
4) If you haven't done so in the last 30,000 miles, replace the transmission
fluid
5) If this is an AWD or a 4x4, replace transfer case fluid and check front
differential fluid level

Tune Up No Sooner Than 100,000 Miles? John Gregory Chrysler 4 July 31st 05 06:12 PM
honda civic tune up trouble BADMOJO Honda 29 July 16th 05 07:02 AM
Full tune up on Z28 3 years after previous? [email protected] Driving 3 June 9th 05 02:54 PM
Tune up complete Shag VW air cooled 1 May 16th 05 12:40 PM
trying to tune up in mexico with no specs, dalerbaker VW water cooled 9 February 11th 05 03:53 AM