320i engine sounds dry / rough almost diesel(ish)

Old September 19th 05, 11:42 PM
Lordy

Default 320i engine sounds dry / rough almost diesel(ish)

1994 320i coupe UK.

Every now and then the engine sounds very dry & rough. Othertimes quite
smooth & pleasant Almost like there was a small hole in the exhaust.
(but I discounted that after a quick listen with windows down). It last
sounded dry with two adults & pre-teen in the car in rush-hour traffic
going up an incline. As
soom as they were dropped off, and the traffic died down a bit - it
sounded sweet again.
Anything to worry about or just driving conditions?

Oil changed a month ago.

Lordy
Old September 20th 05, 10:06 AM
John Burns

> Oil changed a month ago.

And last time level checked?

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old September 20th 05, 11:18 AM
Lordy

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:06:35 +0100, John Burns wrote:

>> Oil changed a month ago.

> And last time level checked?

How frequently does/should one check?

Lordy

Old September 20th 05, 11:27 AM
John Burns

> How frequently does/should one check?

I tend to check mine whenever I wash the car or before a long trip.

Old September 20th 05, 12:22 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Lordy > wrote:
> >> Oil changed a month ago.

> > And last time level checked?

> How frequently does/should one check?

You tend to get an idea of the oil consumption by checking fairly
frequently when you first get the car. But if the engine's in good
condition and not thrashed - especially when cold - it might well go from
one oil change to the next without requiring any added. It might well also
have a low oil warning system, although not all have. But even if fitted
it's worth checking it actually works at the next oil change time.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 20th 05, 10:09 PM
Matthew Warren

"Lordy" > wrote in message
news
> 1994 320i coupe UK.
>
> Every now and then the engine sounds very dry & rough. Othertimes quite
> smooth & pleasant Almost like there was a small hole in the exhaust.
> (but I discounted that after a quick listen with windows down). It last
> sounded dry with two adults & pre-teen in the car in rush-hour traffic
> going up an incline. As
> soom as they were dropped off, and the traffic died down a bit - it
> sounded sweet again.
> Anything to worry about or just driving conditions?
>
> Oil changed a month ago.
>
> Lordy

Just a Shot in the dark, but the fact that the load effected the sound leads
me to at least inspect that the exhaust system is not vibrating against
something. That very slight bumping that they do sometimes can lead to very
concerning noises.

Matt