Window Tint Problem

Old February 13th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Window Tint Problem

I guess I shouldn't complain, my 2002 L200 has worked fine ever since I
drove it off the showroom floor over 4 years ago -- but now I've got a
problem.

When I took the vehicle down for it's annual inspection sticker, the
attendant refused to pass it because of the window tint being too dark.
Stupid me, I thought that since it came equipped that way from the
dealership, there would be no problem - after all, it's passed inspections
for the last four years. WRONG!!! Apparently, my state has revised it's
window tint laws in the last eight months or so, and now I'm considered no
longer "legal".

I thought that there was some type of "grandfather" clause in laws like this
that exempted vehicles that were previously within compliance, am I wrong,
or does the inspection station just want to make money off stripping the
windows and applying new tint?

Old February 13th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I think you may need to tell the group
what state you live in.
ernie

Old February 14th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I would only question why you would want any shade of that **** on your
windows to begin with. Any shade of it should be outlawed.

--
Steve Barker

Old February 14th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

How did they quantify "too dark"? What was their method of objective
measurement? You may want to take a close look at what those revised laws
specify.

It's kind of like a cop pulling you over and telling you that your exhaust
is too loud and a Harley goes roaring by loud enough to wake the dead...

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old February 14th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In article >,
says...
> I guess I shouldn't complain, my 2002 L200 has worked fine ever since I
> drove it off the showroom floor over 4 years ago -- but now I've got a
> problem.
>
> When I took the vehicle down for it's annual inspection sticker, the
> attendant refused to pass it because of the window tint being too dark.
> Stupid me, I thought that since it came equipped that way from the
> dealership, there would be no problem - after all, it's passed inspections
> for the last four years. WRONG!!! Apparently, my state has revised it's
> window tint laws in the last eight months or so, and now I'm considered no
> longer "legal".
>
> I thought that there was some type of "grandfather" clause in laws like this
> that exempted vehicles that were previously within compliance, am I wrong,
> or does the inspection station just want to make money off stripping the
> windows and applying new tint?

Key phrase "since it came equipped that way from the dealership". If it
was put on by the factory, inbetween the glass, I doubt they could say
anything. Do you have a receipt for the tint? That may be helpful to
have.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

In article >,
says...
> I would only question why you would want any shade of that **** on your
> windows to begin with. Any shade of it should be outlawed.

Some degree of tint is nice but not so much that some drug dealer can
run around in they day time without his face being seen.

http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_benefits.html

Old February 14th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

The "Mirror" tint from that "Cheech & Chong" Movie comes to mind, where when
the tinting first came out....the one where he was driving right next to the
cop car and giving him the finger and the cop couldn't see it....

Old February 14th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"blah blah" > wrote in message

> Harleys sound good though. I can fall asleep to those exhaust notes.

potato-potato-potato-potato-potato-potato-potato-potato-.....

Old February 14th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Guys, this person has a serious prob, let's stay on topic ( I do like
harleys too just for the record, lol). Mike, you do need to find out
specifically what this new law states, specifically what the percentage of
tinting allowed is and what windows the law applies to, front, passenger,
etc. Secondly, Saturn does not tint windows in the factory, period. Tinting
is a dealer option and at the time, as you say was legal as applied.

What state do live in? Perhaps if you ststed that, someone here lives in
that state and can help you better. As far as the tint itself, I would take
the car back tot he dealer, explain the problem and see if they can assist
you in having the tin either reduced or removed by the tinting professionals
(which is a 3rd party). It will be a simple job for them and far less
expensive than tickets and inspection failures.

Just FYI, for example, here in FL window tinting must be 20% visibility on
the drivers and front passengers windows and it is illegal to have a strip
on the front windshield beyond the mirror or oem mark on the window. This
difers in many other states.

marx404

Chrysler power window problem Ed Dodge 4 April 17th 05 07:36 AM
Recommend window tint dxmah Honda 2 March 17th 05 11:48 PM
Dodge Caravan Window problem ChinaCat Dodge 14 October 3rd 04 10:53 PM
Alfa 164 Electric Window problem Emjay Alfa Romeo 2 July 13th 04 12:42 AM