1993 grand cherokee

Old August 12th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bob

Default 1993 grand cherokee

My drivers side window won't open. I guess it could be a fuse, motor or
switch. Unfortunately I've lost the manual for it. Here's my
questions.
1: Would it be the fuse box beside the glove box, or the one under the
hood.
2: Does one fuse operate all 4 windows, or one fuse for each window.
3: What I want to do, if it is the motor, is replace it with one of the
back window motors. Are all 4 universal?
4: Are these door panels hard to get off, or relatively easy.
5: Is there a web site I can go to to get the fuse box diagram?
Old August 12th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

The power windows are powered with a single, 30-amp circuit breaker
(#26) in the fuse panel. That's located on the right side behind the
passenger door. That's not the relay group under the glove box.

If one window works, you can assume there is nothing wrong with the
circuit breaker. Can't help you with the motors. Salvage yard?

Dick

Old August 12th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I had the same problem with my 93,,, twice. Except mine was stuck in the
down position. (In the rain of course)

"bob" <bob@his house.com> wrote in message
ble.net...
> My drivers side window won't open. I guess it could be a fuse, motor or
> switch. Unfortunately I've lost the manual for it. Here's my
> questions.
> 1: Would it be the fuse box beside the glove box, or the one under the
> hood.

Inside the passenger door on the side of the instrument panel. Dick says #
26

> 2: Does one fuse operate all 4 windows, or one fuse for each window.

One to rule them all.

> 3: What I want to do, if it is the motor, is replace it with one of the
> back window motors. Are all 4 universal?

I think you'll find they differ mostly. You could try it with the left back
seat motor (regulator).

> 4: Are these door panels hard to get off, or relatively easy.

Relatively easy. Three screws, inside opposite the rear view mirror, inside
the door handle behind a plastic plug and one inside the door pull.
Everything else pops out. Start at the bottom and then slide the panel up to
disengage from the window channel.

> 5: Is there a web site I can go to to get the fuse box diagram?

I'm sure there is from Doug's site, if you need, but probably not for this
particular problem.

Both times, I took my door panel off, slid the weather welt off the top of
the opening then took the window out (two nuts on the scissor assembly,
loosen only). Was able to take the scissor track out with removing 4 nuts.
Contract it and slide it out through the rear panel opening.
I hooked it back up to the switch and thumped on the motor. Worked for three
more years.
Yes, I understand this is not the most professional fix, but it worked very
well. I think possibly too that the down stop on the scissor assembly
spreads out a bit and lets the track 'catch' at the bottom. Easy to bend it
back into play though.
One final, serious caution. When you have the scissors/regulator assembly
out, don't release the spring tension. The arm will slam back and break your
thumb. (painful experience story)

Old August 13th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bob

In article >,
says...
> I had the same problem with my 93,,, twice. Except mine was stuck in the
> down position. (In the rain of course)
>
> "bob" <bob@his house.com> wrote in message
> ble.net...
> > My drivers side window won't open. I guess it could be a fuse, motor or
> > switch. Unfortunately I've lost the manual for it. Here's my
> > questions.
> > 1: Would it be the fuse box beside the glove box, or the one under the
> > hood.

> Inside the passenger door on the side of the instrument panel. Dick says #
> 26
>
> > 2: Does one fuse operate all 4 windows, or one fuse for each window.

> One to rule them all.
>
> > 3: What I want to do, if it is the motor, is replace it with one of the
> > back window motors. Are all 4 universal?

> I think you'll find they differ mostly. You could try it with the left back
> seat motor (regulator).
>
> > 4: Are these door panels hard to get off, or relatively easy.

> Relatively easy. Three screws, inside opposite the rear view mirror, inside
> the door handle behind a plastic plug and one inside the door pull.
> Everything else pops out. Start at the bottom and then slide the panel up to
> disengage from the window channel.
>
> > 5: Is there a web site I can go to to get the fuse box diagram?

> I'm sure there is from Doug's site, if you need, but probably not for this
> particular problem.
>
> Both times, I took my door panel off, slid the weather welt off the top of
> the opening then took the window out (two nuts on the scissor assembly,
> loosen only). Was able to take the scissor track out with removing 4 nuts.
> Contract it and slide it out through the rear panel opening.
> I hooked it back up to the switch and thumped on the motor. Worked for three
> more years.
> Yes, I understand this is not the most professional fix, but it worked very
> well. I think possibly too that the down stop on the scissor assembly
> spreads out a bit and lets the track 'catch' at the bottom. Easy to bend it
> back into play though.
> One final, serious caution. When you have the scissors/regulator assembly
> out, don't release the spring tension. The arm will slam back and break your
> thumb. (painful experience story)

What did your problem end up being? Maybe mine is the same.
Old August 13th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

bob wrote:
> My drivers side window won't open. I guess it could be a fuse, motor
> or switch. Unfortunately I've lost the manual for it. Here's my
> questions.
> 1: Would it be the fuse box beside the glove box, or the one under the
> hood.
> 2: Does one fuse operate all 4 windows, or one fuse for each window.
> 3: What I want to do, if it is the motor, is replace it with one of
> the back window motors. Are all 4 universal?
> 4: Are these door panels hard to get off, or relatively easy.
> 5: Is there a web site I can go to to get the fuse box diagram?

I'd suspect a faulty switch, the connector comes off sometimes.
Door is just a few phillips screws but it's a heck of a lot easier
to get the panel off with the window down. Watch the edges they are
damn sharp.

The motors are not interchangeable. You can search the part out at
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ to get an idea of what the OEM
cost is.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old August 14th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Well Bob, must have just been a dirty contact in the regulator I guess that
cleared out when I thumped. Like I say, it happened twice over the years and
worked like a champ after thumping. I think I may have shot it with canned
air too.
Good luck.

#
> > 26
> >
> > > 2: Does one fuse operate all 4 windows, or one fuse for each window.

> > One to rule them all.
> >
> > > 3: What I want to do, if it is the motor, is replace it with one of

the
> > > back window motors. Are all 4 universal?

> > I think you'll find they differ mostly. You could try it with the left

back
> > seat motor (regulator).
> >
> > > 4: Are these door panels hard to get off, or relatively easy.

> > Relatively easy. Three screws, inside opposite the rear view mirror,

inside
> > the door handle behind a plastic plug and one inside the door pull.
> > Everything else pops out. Start at the bottom and then slide the panel

up to
> > disengage from the window channel.
> >
> > > 5: Is there a web site I can go to to get the fuse box diagram?

> > I'm sure there is from Doug's site, if you need, but probably not for

this
> > particular problem.
> >
> > Both times, I took my door panel off, slid the weather welt off the top

of
> > the opening then took the window out (two nuts on the scissor assembly,
> > loosen only). Was able to take the scissor track out with removing 4

nuts.
> > Contract it and slide it out through the rear panel opening.
> > I hooked it back up to the switch and thumped on the motor. Worked for

three
> > more years.
> > Yes, I understand this is not the most professional fix, but it worked

very
> > well. I think possibly too that the down stop on the scissor assembly
> > spreads out a bit and lets the track 'catch' at the bottom. Easy to bend

it
> > back into play though.
> > One final, serious caution. When you have the scissors/regulator

assembly
> > out, don't release the spring tension. The arm will slam back and break

your
> > thumb. (painful experience story)

> What did your problem end up being? Maybe mine is the same.

carfax help please?? [email protected] Technology 9 March 24th 06 01:18 PM
Does transmission from a 1990 explorer fit a 1993 explorer? djokman Ford Explorer 1 June 11th 05 05:52 AM
1993 Dodge Colt DB Dodge 2 October 13th 04 10:19 AM
Ebay auction 1993 626 Mazda Factory Service Manual Dale Alexander General 0 March 14th 04 05:11 AM