What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 5th 17, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 22:37:59 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >

>>>How can you do a proper alignment if you don't load the suspension?

>> You can adjust it with the tie-rod on the bench if you want to and
>> are smart enough to figure out how many turns it takes. Only the
>> measurement requires the suspension to be loaded.

>Thanks for answering as I know that the measurement is what takes loading
>of the suspension.
>
>I guess, at home, time isn't the issue, but it is a pain to load, measure,
>unload, adjust, load, measure (repeat).
>
>Then again, it doesn't really matter if it takes a week to do the alignment
>as it's not a critical issue if it's close enough and not driven for long.
>
>Of course, it has to be checked again after doing the camber and caster.

That's why you set the camber and caster FIRST!!!!

Old November 5th 17, 12:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 16:33:57 -0700, The Real Bev >
wrote:

SNIPP

>>> Alternators, generators, starters, water pumps, motor mounts, brake
>>> pads/drums, hoses, belts.

>> I think almost everyone has done that, where we can throw in voltage
>> regulators and batteries to alternators, and we can add starters and
>> batteries to that list.
>>
>> With water pumps goes the entire assemblage of while-you're-there jobs such
>> as belts and fan clutches and radiators and harmonic balancers.

>I cut my hands to ribbons on the first water pump -- the fan (which had
>to be removed) was attached with at least 4 bolts which could only move
>1/4 turn without repositioning the 12-point box wrench, the only thing
>that would fit. I swore I'd never do that again no matter how much it
>cost -- until I found out how much it DID cost. Some of us are too
>cheap for our own good.

KD makes a special tool for that - at the value O put on skin and
suffering, cheap at twice the price

>> With motor mounts there isn't much ancillary work that people do,

>The old one wouldn't come out. I spent a lot of time with my fingers in
>an excellent position to be removed if the jack holding up the engine
>failed. I ended up just slapping the new one on top of the old one.
>
>> but with
>> brakes there's the whole shebang from pads and sensors to calipers and
>> rotors and bearings and speed sensors, and abs intricacies.

>The ones I did were simple. The hard part was remembering how the damn
>springs on the drums went. I couldn't believe how easy pads were; it
>took me longer to find the C-clamp than to do the work :-(

A cell phone camera makes all of that SO much simpler!!!

Old November 5th 17, 01:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
rbowman

On 11/4/2017 12:17 PM, RS Wood wrote:
> Well, if replacing a timing belt is that easy, then maybe it's not so much
> a crime that they put a 60k-mile part inside an interference engine.

It'd the suspense that kills you. My Harley has a belt drive and the
belt failed at around 45000. No sign of damage or deterioration just a
clean break. I rode to work in the morning, came out, started the
engine, let the clutch out and didn't go anyplace.

Replacement is fairly easy on a Sportster but Harley is very proud of
their belts, around $150 iirc. All things considered that's cheaper than
chains if you put significant miles on a bike.
Old November 5th 17, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
rbowman

On 11/4/2017 12:17 PM, RS Wood wrote:
> So I don't see how you can ever do car tires right at home because you
> can't finish the job right. For some reason, motorcycle tires work just
> fine without dynamic balancing.

The bike I have that has tube tires is a DR650, dual spot, enduro,
whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure if you ever tell if the tire
was balanced with knobbies. Dunlop 606s are really rough but the Kendas
I have on now aren't a Cadillac smooth ride.

You get good at changing them because those style of tires are good for
about 6000 miles at the outside.
Old November 5th 17, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
rbowman

On 11/4/2017 3:13 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
> rbowman posted for all of us...
>

>> On 11/03/2017 08:42 PM, RS Wood wrote:
>>> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never
>>> done?

>> Painting is something I have done and wish I never had... The best
>> paint guy I ever knew was someone you had to catch in the zone between
>> sober but shaky and falling down drunk. The runner up was a complete
>> stoner.

> From the paint?

The paint fumes didn't help but the #1 guy's choice was Budweiser. #2's
choice was anything he could get his hands on but speed makes painting fun.
Old November 5th 17, 03:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

Clifford Heath wrote:

> I suspect that better computer simulation, especially thermal
> modeling, has the most to do with it. There are manufacturing
> breakthroughs also, like bearing seals that actually seal the
> bearings, and better materials. Better anti-corrosion chemistry.
> Stuff like that.

Oh. That's interesting. What you're saying is that the manufacturers are
using computers to make cars, which helps make better cars.

That may very well be the case, since computers can be used to easily hone
quality, bit by bit by bit, simply because of the inherent re-use that
computers easily allow.

You're right but I don't understand why we used to pack wheel bearings
periodically and now we don't. Who doesn't remember glopping grease on your
palm and then slapping a bearing through that grease?

A kid of 30 or 40 years old doesn't know what we're talking about.

Likewise, who hasn't squirted grease into a ball joint until it squirted
back out of the pregnant rubber cup making farting sounds? Or a driveshaft
u-joint where is just squirted out noiselessly.

What's with bearings nowadays. Why don't wheel bearings need to be packed
anymore and u-joints not need lubrication and ball joints not need it?

What did they do differently?