69 nose in the air options?

Old March 16th 05, 03:47 AM
Spike

yeah, my daughter emailed today to see if I was going to make it back
there or not..... I just may have to go to rent-a-wreck... or fly and
rent back there.....

Food channel just had a program on my favorite meat store (Omaha
Steaks!). Too bad they don't carry Kobe beef.... Oh, well....

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:55:32 GMT, "SVTKate"
> wrote:

>Spike's right NUTHIN goes on.
>This our story and we're sticking to it.
>
>You got it sweetie...
>
>But I betcha I see you here before you see me there!
>Only 5 more weeks!
>
>K.
>(nice little prose ya scrawled out there Spikie!)
>
>"Spike" > wrote in message
.. .
>| Absolutely NOTHING goes on off line..... not even any personal
>| communicating offline.... why, we'd probably never speak to each other
>| if we met on the street... right Kate? By the way....
>|
>| the steaks are marinating
>| and the beer is cold...
>| spa is hot...
>| and life's good as gold!
>| So grab yer ol' man
>| and make a plan
>| across the nation to roam
>| and mosey back home....
>|

>| LOL : D

>shocks
>| >> |

>| >After the "Kate tastes good" portion of that other thread, and now this
>| >one, I'm beginning to wonder just what goes on offline with some of you
>| >guys... =)
>| >
>| >Generally speaking about RAMFM, some of these things reveal themselves
>| >over time, and some are best left as they are, I guess.
>|
>| Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
>| 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
>| Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
>| Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
>| w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Old March 16th 05, 11:43 AM
SVTKate

When i flew out to CA last summer, I reserved a car for a week. I only paid
$145 for the whole 8 days from Enterprise because I got it at the airport.
Give it some thought Spike!

"Spike" > wrote in message
| yeah, my daughter emailed today to see if I was going to make it back
| there or not..... I just may have to go to rent-a-wreck... or fly and
| rent back there.....
|
| Food channel just had a program on my favorite meat store (Omaha
| Steaks!). Too bad they don't carry Kobe beef.... Oh, well....
|
| On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:55:32 GMT, "SVTKate"
| > wrote:
|
| >Spike's right NUTHIN goes on.
| >This our story and we're sticking to it.
| >
| >You got it sweetie...
| >
| >But I betcha I see you here before you see me there!
| >Only 5 more weeks!
| >
| >K.
| >(nice little prose ya scrawled out there Spikie!)
| >
| >"Spike" > wrote in message
| .. .
| >| Absolutely NOTHING goes on off line..... not even any personal
| >| communicating offline.... why, we'd probably never speak to each other
| >| if we met on the street... right Kate? By the way....
| >|
| >| the steaks are marinating
| >| and the beer is cold...
| >| spa is hot...
| >| and life's good as gold!
| >| So grab yer ol' man
| >| and make a plan
| >| across the nation to roam
| >| and mosey back home....
| >|
| >|
| >| LOL : D
| >|
| >| On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:18:29 GMT, Wound Up > wrote:
| >|

| >shocks
| >| >> |

Old March 16th 05, 04:06 PM
Spike

OK... I got my gray cell, the working one, diverted from steaks and
beer to car rentals.... tic tic tic mmmmmmmmm tic mmmmmmmmm tic tic
tic toc mmmmmmmmmmm *Error 1948*

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:43:40 GMT, "SVTKate"
> wrote:

>When i flew out to CA last summer, I reserved a car for a week. I only paid
>$145 for the whole 8 days from Enterprise because I got it at the airport.
>Give it some thought Spike!

.. .

Old March 16th 05, 07:02 PM

Spike wrote:

> Your method "may" be correct, but it is a guess which may require
> removing, cutting, and reinstalling, only to find it necessary to
> remove, cut , and reinstall again... =A0That's IF too much was not cut
> off in the first place, in which case the springs would have to be
> replaced anyway. =A0

No "may" about it. If you want to drop your front ride height then
cutting the coils will do it

Nothing unsafe either. There's a tang on the spring saddle that you
line up with the tip of the coil. Too-tall spring, too-short spring,
just right spring, it's all the same.

If you cut off too much, you either live with it or buy a new part.
Likewise, that's no different than any other repair. You screw up your
part, you have to buy a new part. The idea is to try not to screw up.
That's why I cut off only 2" at a time. Yeah, it's time consuming.

Finally, buying "one inch drop" springs from a vendor is no guarantee
of success either. Results vary from car to car. That vendor spring
may install too short, and again you either live with it or you try to
return it and try something else. It may install too tall, and there
you are with a cutoff wheel in your hand after all. And as far as I
am aware the one inch drop springs are available only in high rate
models, e.g. 620 lbs/in. That may not be what faust has in mind.
While cutting a few inches off an OE spring will increase the spring
rate VERY slightly, it will be nothing like the filling-rattling
result of a 620.

180 Out

Old March 16th 05, 07:02 PM

Old March 16th 05, 07:55 PM
SVTKate

that's what happens when your hard drive goes down....

*WEG*

"Spike" > wrote in message
| OK... I got my gray cell, the working one, diverted from steaks and
| beer to car rentals.... tic tic tic mmmmmmmmm tic mmmmmmmmm tic tic
| tic toc mmmmmmmmmmm *Error 1948*
|
| On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:43:40 GMT, "SVTKate"
| > wrote:
|
| >When i flew out to CA last summer, I reserved a car for a week. I only
paid
| >$145 for the whole 8 days from Enterprise because I got it at the
airport.
| >Give it some thought Spike!
| >
| >"Spike" > wrote in message
| .. .
| >| yeah, my daughter emailed today to see if I was going to make it back
| >| there or not..... I just may have to go to rent-a-wreck... or fly and
| >| rent back there.....
| >|
| >| Food channel just had a program on my favorite meat store (Omaha
| >| Steaks!). Too bad they don't carry Kobe beef.... Oh, well....
| >|
| >| On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:55:32 GMT, "SVTKate"
| >|

| >| .. .
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
wrote:
| >| >|

| >probably
| >will
| >| >| >> |

Old March 17th 05, 01:12 AM
Spike

That and SMILE

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:55:14 GMT, "SVTKate"
> wrote:

>that's what happens when your hard drive goes down....
>
>*WEG*

.. .

Old March 17th 05, 01:26 AM
Spike

Don't take this as questioning your knowledge or ability, but let me
ask you this... were you born with this knowledge, learn it from
someone else, or learn it the hard way? Part of my career included
training people to accomplish various tasks. All my experience and
knowledge would not have attained the proper level of training, if I
gave only half the information required. Therefore, I could not
arbitrarily assume that the student had all of the knowledge and
background needed to learn something new. And, in learning, a student
generally learns best when presented with the information, then seeing
it done, then doing it with assistance, and finally doing it on their
own.

If you are giving instruction to someone who has never cut springs
before, and they are going to do so on their own, then your advice may
just fall into the scenario I described. Perhaps not everyone would
know how much to cut, or know to line up the springs correctly, or a
number of other conditions. Conditions I might add which cold lead to
improper handling, and therefore be an unsafe condition.

Perhaps you also have tons of money to redo anything you screw up. Not
everyone does.

Like the carpenter says, 'measure twice, cut once.'

If it was my car, I'd rather it came out right the first time so I can
get right to using it again and still have some change to pay for gas.
You're correct about the springs designed for this purpose. They may
not do what is desired. But, there is far less chance for a novice to
screw them up as there is with hit and miss cutting of the old ones.

On 16 Mar 2005 11:02:08 -0800, wrote:

>Spike wrote:
>
>> Your method "may" be correct, but it is a guess which may require
>> removing, cutting, and reinstalling, only to find it necessary to
>> remove, cut , and reinstall again... hat's IF too much was not cut
>> off in the first place, in which case the springs would have to be
>> replaced anyway.

>No "may" about it. If you want to drop your front ride height then
>cutting the coils will do it
>
>Nothing unsafe either. There's a tang on the spring saddle that you
>line up with the tip of the coil. Too-tall spring, too-short spring,
>just right spring, it's all the same.
>
>If you cut off too much, you either live with it or buy a new part.
>Likewise, that's no different than any other repair. You screw up your
>part, you have to buy a new part. The idea is to try not to screw up.
> That's why I cut off only 2" at a time. Yeah, it's time consuming.
>
>Finally, buying "one inch drop" springs from a vendor is no guarantee
>of success either. Results vary from car to car. That vendor spring
>may install too short, and again you either live with it or you try to
>return it and try something else. It may install too tall, and there
>you are with a cutoff wheel in your hand after all. And as far as I
>am aware the one inch drop springs are available only in high rate
>models, e.g. 620 lbs/in. That may not be what faust has in mind.
>While cutting a few inches off an OE spring will increase the spring
>rate VERY slightly, it will be nothing like the filling-rattling
>result of a 620.
>
>180 Out

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Old March 17th 05, 02:33 AM

Spike wrote:

> <a lot of stuff I don't disagree with>

The thing is, to replace the spring with a new unit is just as much
work as to cut the existing spring, it costs a lot more, it will
increase ride harshness greatly, and there's no guarantee of a lower
ride height or that the ride height will not be too low.

I did not intend to write the book on how to cut a spring. I figure I
post a little info, and if the guy wants more info he can ask for it.

On the other hand it's not a big deal, so here goes:

Jack up the wheel. Remove the shock and the shock mount from the shock
tower. Insert the spring compressor into the coil, with the adjusting
end at the bottom. Hook the hooks onto the coils. Using an open end
wrench, start turning the compressor. Yeah, you've got to reach the
wrench in between the coils to do this. The spring will get loose and
you'll have to hold it in place for the last few strokes. Then it will
come out in your hand.

Leave the spring compressed. Using a Sharpie, draw a line across the
diameter of the coil, about two inches from the tip for each quarter
inch drop you want. Err on the side of caution; in no event cut more
than one-half a coil to start. Using a hacksaw or a cutoff wheel
mounted on a Dremel, an electric drill, or a pneumatic die grinder, cut
along the line you have drawn. Try to keep the cut square.

Reinsert the spring into the shock tower. Have the tip of the coil
lined up with the tang on the spring saddle. Unscrew the compressor.
As you do, watch that the tip of the spring stays lined up with the
tang. Remove the compressor, reinstall the shock, lower the car.
Drive it around for at least a week before deciding you need to go
lower. If you've got too much negative camber, get a realignment or
you'll wear out your tires.

And no, no one taught me any of this. I just do-ed it. It's all
pretty much self-evident.

JohnJohn wrote:

> High-pressure gas-charged shocks (such as KYB) _can_ affect ride
> height; but just not to any significant amount.

I disagree. Springs hold the car up. Shocks control the movement of
the springs. While high pressure gas shocks do have an expansion force
built in, it is not enough to affect ride height. I, a 160-lb
weakling, can compress KYB Gas-A-Justs with my bare hands; I would
gauge the force required to do so is about 25 lbs at most. I do not
think an expansionary force of 25 lbs applied to the front of a 3500 lb
car with a 55/45 front to rear weight distribution is going to affect
the ride height by even a hundredth of an inch.

> However: you have _obviously_ forgotten about AIR shocks .....

Even though you left out the smiley, I hope you were kidding. Air
shocks in the front? Or did you mean air bags? If so, you have
completely left the scope of this thread. Faust wants a cheap fix, and
now your saying I've forgotten something unless I bring air bags into
the discussion? The hydraulic rams that the lowriders use in place of
shocks affect ride height too, but I didn't include them in my comment
either.

Please Faust, post something to let me know you aren't completely
confused by all this. I'm just trying to give you some good advice, so
you don't go running off and buying new shocks or tires that will give
you no relief, or new springs that will add harshness and that may even
raise the car or lower it too much. I do not understand all the
static. Anyway, good luck.

180 Out

1990 BMW 525i Nose Panel R&R BMW 0 March 11th 05 03:01 AM
Factory Options for Mustangs 64 / 65 / 65 MJT Ford Mustang 2 November 29th 04 01:23 PM
Removeing nose cone and rear panel yar Corvette 10 November 19th 04 02:23 PM
Nose repair Morien Morgan Mazda 0 September 10th 04 10:22 PM