Just once, I figured

Old October 30th 05, 09:30 PM
66 6F HCS

Default Just once, I figured

"Ritz" > wrote
>> I gotta call possible BS on an '88 LX 5.0L clocking in at 160 mph.

> There's no way a stock or even moderately modified '88LX is going that
> fast.

He said it was in an '04 Mach1
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old October 30th 05, 09:58 PM
trotzo

Having driven a Tractor Trailer for the better part of my life I'll
give you a few tips....

The surest way to get the guy in front of you to speed up is to pull
out and try and pass him. To get him to slow down, just set your cruise
control. Works every time.

The most aggravating thing to me is 3 cars abreast on a 3 lane highway
all going EXACTLY the same speed. I call this a log jam.

Try not to **** off truckers, most of them don't stop everytime they
gotta pee so the vast majority drive around with a "portable pee
bottle" (no, not me....I STOP!)
which means they have a readily available bottle of urine to dump all
over your car should you anger them in any way.
Oh, and see that big space in the lane in front of most trucks? We need
that to SLOW DOWN should someone brake unexpectedly in front of us. So
try not to take that away, especially at highway speeds.

You think hauling 80,000 pounds around is easy work? I've heard
stories that would make yer hair curl, involving truckers and
motorists. Truck drivers radioing ahead to the other guys to box in a
particular car, and then throwing handfuls of pennies out the windows
or worse at the offending vehicle. Scary stuff....
I know sometimes it's not possible to have that space in front of us,
when my stopping distance is cut down I back off until I have the
appropriate space but of course that just invites someone else to move
in front. Unfortunately, most people don't realize how heavy a loaded
truck can be. 80,000 lbs....think about that.... 40 TONS. Even empty,
trucks weigh in at over 20,000 lbs....!
Bottom line is this, if I rear end a vehicle may be my fault, but I
will always walk away from the accident. The guy I hit will have my
bumper in his front seat....
Has never happened yet (knock wood) and I hope it never does.
Drive safe!

Old October 30th 05, 11:03 PM
Ritz

KJ.Kate wrote:
> Well, all ya'll are calling bull**** on the LX, I'm still calling it on the
> Mach.

Neither one of them can go that fast unless someone had done more than
the usual low hanging fruit types of mods. Judging from the rather
immature nature of a lot of his other posts, I suspect this entire
episode is the result of random neuron firings while he slept.

Old October 30th 05, 11:04 PM
ZombyWoof

Default short essay on - Just once, I figured

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:03:48 -0800, Spike > wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:52:24 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
> wrote:
>
>>We've all probably succumbed at least once to that temptation.
>>And Rich's body of posts points out that he writes the incident, not in
>>boastfulness but as a stream of conciousness report.
>>
>>But I'm reminded of something I learned through observation, as a kid.
>>
>>I had occasion to stay with my aunt and uncle and she was driving me
>>somewhere .. I forget where.. and I noticed that she steered her car much
>>like you see done on TV comedic skits... constantly moving the steering
>>wheel, left and right. Now it was a NEW car, they never kept a car more
>>than 3 years, so it couldnt be play in the steering.. which I knew of
>>because I was a farm kid and DID have experience in driving, if only off-
>>road.
>>
>>But I was smart enough not to ask her why she did that... instead I
>>reasoned it out. And the answer I came up with was that she was
>>LITERALLY DRIVING the car, instead of looking down the road and guiding
>>the car toward a point, she was actually ACTIVELY KEEPING the car in the
>>proper lane.
>>

>Of course, it might also be reasoned that someone might have needed to
>see an optometrist : 0 )
>
>Defensive driving is the key, and it's not just how far down the road
>one looks, but all around. I've had to chase people with reds and
>siren for several miles before they realize there is someone behind
>them. And seen accidents in the middle of nowhere with essentially
>unlimited visibility, where someone pulls out directly into the path
>of another vehicle (or train). Among some of the reasons for the
>constant correction could be attributed to a) steering system b)
>vision problem c) insecure/timid/nervous diver d) weather (gusting
>cross winds).
>
>There are many drivers who, no matter how long they have been driving,
>never become comfortable behind the wheel and it's often a case of
>fighting to be in control, even when there is no need. And I've found
>the cause to vary. For example, someone who is used to driving in the
>country becomes this way in city traffic, and vice versa. In some you
>can see it increase as the traffic around them increases.
>
>My grandfather, who, in his much younger days, drove cargo trucks
>through the Grapevine when it was 2 lanes was this way. Later in life,
>he'd take his old Buick Roadmaster and bust 100mph on country roads
>around the town where he lived. Yet, when it came time to sign up for
>social security, it was an extreme effort for him to drive the 9 miles
>to the next town where the Social Security Office was located.

I learned how to drive in Germany and the process is quite involved.
One of the thing that the driving instructors drilled into me was to
pay attention to the car in front of the car in front of me. If I was
reacting to what he did I would be doing it at as least as fast as the
driver in front of me if not faster. I really wish we could adopt a
lot of the aspects of German driving here in the states, but I would
suspect 70% of our population would never be able to get licensed or
keep it.
--
Zombywoof

Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
Old October 30th 05, 11:07 PM
Ritz

66 6F HCS wrote:
> "Ritz" > wrote
>
>>>I gotta call possible BS on an '88 LX 5.0L clocking in at 160 mph.

>>There's no way a stock or even moderately modified '88LX is going that
>>fast.

> He said it was in an '04 Mach1

That car won't do it either.

Old October 30th 05, 11:12 PM
KJ.Kate

Would he have not hit the rev limeter at 6600 RPM ???????

"ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
: On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:03:53 GMT, " >
: wrote:
:
: >Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
: >
: >> KJ.Kate wrote:
: >>
: >>> "Rich" > wrote in message
: >>> ...
: >>> **snip**
: >>>
: >>> I figured I hit 260kph or around 158mph.
: >>>
: >>> *cough*
: >>> bull****
: >>
: >>
: >> I gotta call possible BS on an '88 LX 5.0L clocking in at 160 mph.
Back
: >> when I was invincible and had a long, empty, slightly downhill stretch
: >> of I-66 I managed to get my slightly modified '89 LX hatchback up to
: >> 135-140 mph and that was about all it could muster. Getting another 20
: >> mph out of it would have taken some serious horsepower. Also, the
: >> stability of the car was absolutely horrible at 135 and even if it
could
: >> have gone to 160 mph I'm not sure I would have had the guts to do it.
: >> Also, the conversion factor from kph to mph is 0.621 so his 260 kph is
: >> closer to 162 mph.
: >
: >
: > Can you read? Its his 2004 Mach-1 he's talking about. Also, at those
: >speeds, factory speedometers are (historically anyways) notoriously
: >inaccurate.
: >
: >Given a factory gear ratio and the high revving DOHC in his car I
: >wouldnt necessarily say bull****. I'd be more interested in knowing what
: >his tach said. Ever better would be if he had a quality aftermarket tach
: >as you should be able to closely calculate speed based on an accurate
: >tach reading.
: >
: Well if you read his original message he claimed 6600rpm in 4th.
: --
: Zombywoof
:
: Si vis Pacem, Para bellum

Old October 30th 05, 11:15 PM
KJ.Kate

"ZombyWoof" > wrote
: --
: Zombywoof
:
: Si vis Pacem, Para bellum

Pair of who ?

Old October 30th 05, 11:46 PM
Jim Warman

All I know is, that when I was more involved with our fire department, I
picked up far too many people with a stick and a spoon. It's bad enough
putting someone in a body bag.... having to use a scoop shovel to do it is
worse.... much, much worse. I realize that what I have in mind will be
ignored by some, treated with disdain by others....

If you want to go real fast... there are places to do that... If you want to
screw your brains out... there are places to do that.... If you want to
drink your face off... there are places for that.... If yopu want to watch a
movie... there are places for that.... None of them are publicly used roads.
Every last one of us leaves home expecting that every last one of us is
going to respect the rules of the road. If we keep dropping loose cannons
into the middle of the equation....

Common sense is still on holiday...

Old October 31st 05, 02:35 AM

In a DOHC? You had a cobra, didnt you ever wind it past 6600?
Old October 31st 05, 02:38 AM
Scott Van Nest

Kate,
I am not trying ot stir the pot, but wasn't our Cobra's rated to do 155
mph in stock form? and isn't that basically the same motor the new Mach's
have?

Scott