Dodge Challenger: A Go For 2008.5!

Old May 18th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Dodge Challenger: A Go For 2008.5!

Joe > wrote:

> However, if history is any
> indication of things to come, Ford will be a day late and a dollar
> short.

In the CONTEXT of this discussion and considering that Chrysler is only
marketing retro NAMES, not looks*, and the fact that the Challenger is 2
years away, I find that AMUSING.

*Unless you find the PT Cruiser attractive.. or maybe the roadster
whatsitsname..

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 19th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Joe wrote:

> Right. The Challenger is basically old news at this point; I was just
> wondering why Patrick posted the ridiculous comparo.

Because up until this point in time the Challenger was only a show car.
Now it seems the decision has finally been made to put it into
production.

Patrick

Old May 19th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Joe wrote:

> > "Joe" > wrote in message
> >> wrote in news:1147833228.361592.116380
> >> @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

> >> certain
> >> Challenger.
> >> Challenger
> >> run

> >> 40th

> >> Why the comparison between a standard production vehicle and a
> >> limited- production specialty vehicle costing tens of thousands more?
> >> It couldn't be that Ford has nothing available to compete except the
> >> mythical GT500, could it?

> >> Joe
> >> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> >> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> > The real question is who is producing what and who is just talking
> > about it...

> Well, let's see. Ford is yapping about all kinds of non-existent
> products in dreamland while they're selling a 300hp 4.6.

You forgot to add, that out runs any of the standard Hemi cars.

>DC isn't talking much but selling a 425hp 6.1.

And which sells for about $15K more than the Mustang GT.

> I think that answers the "real" question.

Well, now it does.

> > You don't think Ford can drop a comparable engine into the Mustang GT
> > three years from now, to compete with the Germans as yet imaginary,
> > and underpowered Challenger?

> Considering that Ford has absolutely nothing to compete with either of
> the Hemis, that's a pretty funny question.

Please note: Ford's 6.2 liter "Hurricane" V8 is slated for production.

> As for the future, who really knows? However, if history is any
> indication of things to come, Ford will be a day late and a dollar
> short.

Yep, and that's why Mustang has remained in production all these years
and the Challenger and Camaro are returning after a number of years of
being on hiatus.

I say let's wait until '08 to see who has the best performance product
for the $$$s.

Patrick

Old May 19th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Backyard Mechanic > wrote in
:

> Joe > wrote:
>
>> However, if history is any
>> indication of things to come, Ford will be a day late and a dollar
>> short.
>>

> In the CONTEXT of this discussion and considering that Chrysler is

only
> marketing retro NAMES, not looks*, and the fact that the Challenger is

2
> years away, I find that AMUSING.
>
> *Unless you find the PT Cruiser attractive.. or maybe the roadster
> whatsitsname..

Don't know what rock you're living under, but DC is SELLING Hemi cars
like hotcakes right now.

Old May 19th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Joe > wrote:

> Backyard Mechanic > wrote in
> :
>
>> Joe > wrote:
>>
>>> However, if history is any
>>> indication of things to come, Ford will be a day late and a dollar
>>> short.
>>>

>> In the CONTEXT of this discussion and considering that Chrysler is

> only
>> marketing retro NAMES, not looks*, and the fact that the Challenger is

> 2
>> years away, I find that AMUSING.
>>
>> *Unless you find the PT Cruiser attractive.. or maybe the roadster
>> whatsitsname..

> Don't know what rock you're living under, but DC is SELLING Hemi cars
> like hotcakes right now.

Jaysys!!!!! I know it... my son drives one. But the package, to my
somewhat dated tasts.. DOES count and DC's SUX!

I'm talking STYLING!!!! And, a certain percentage of muscle freaks,
aside.... Son likes the styling, I murmur pleasantries so as not to
offend.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 19th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

wrote in news:1148006613.020643.309740
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Joe wrote:
>
>> > "Joe" > wrote in message

wrote in news:1147833228.361592.116380

has

on

as

6.1L

more?

the

>> > The real question is who is producing what and who is just talking
>> > about it...

>> Well, let's see. Ford is yapping about all kinds of non-existent
>> products in dreamland while they're selling a 300hp 4.6.

> You forgot to add, that out runs any of the standard Hemi cars.

The Charger SRT8 will easily go up against any Mustang GT.

>>DC isn't talking much but selling a 425hp 6.1.

> And which sells for about $15K more than the Mustang GT.

Because it's $15k more car than the Mustang GT.

>> I think that answers the "real" question.

> Well, now it does.

DC's Hemi cars are all bigger, heavier, and more powerful than the Mustang
GT. In truth, the Mustang GT and Hemi cars are in different categories.

My point here is that Ford's standard production engine offerings are
lame. Ford needs a 400-hp naturally aspirated production motor, while DC
needs a smaller, lighter car for its Hemi. That's the _real_ story.

>> > You don't think Ford can drop a comparable engine into the Mustang GT
>> > three years from now, to compete with the Germans as yet imaginary,
>> > and underpowered Challenger?

>> Considering that Ford has absolutely nothing to compete with either of
>> the Hemis, that's a pretty funny question.

> Please note: Ford's 6.2 liter "Hurricane" V8 is slated for production.

Please note: Ford has traditionally teased the buying public with such
tall tales.

>> As for the future, who really knows? However, if history is any
>> indication of things to come, Ford will be a day late and a dollar
>> short.

> Yep, and that's why Mustang has remained in production all these years
> and the Challenger and Camaro are returning after a number of years of
> being on hiatus.

No real point there. But as long as you're talking about heritage and
whatnot, let's mention the anemic Mustang II and the almost-produced FWD
Mustang that turned into the Probe but for public outcry.

> I say let's wait until '08 to see who has the best performance product
> for the $$$s.
>
> Patrick

We can wait, but what's the point? Right now, the Mustang GT stands alone
as there's no real competition, and it's a great car to boot. I simply
think that Ford has become the Boy Who Cried Wolf at this point.

Old May 19th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Backyard Mechanic > wrote in
:

> Joe > wrote:
>
>> Backyard Mechanic > wrote in
>> :

>>> In the CONTEXT of this discussion and considering that Chrysler is

>> only
>>> marketing retro NAMES, not looks*, and the fact that the Challenger

is
>> 2
>>> years away, I find that AMUSING.
>>>
>>> *Unless you find the PT Cruiser attractive.. or maybe the roadster
>>> whatsitsname..

>> Don't know what rock you're living under, but DC is SELLING Hemi cars
>> like hotcakes right now.

> Jaysys!!!!! I know it... my son drives one. But the package, to my
> somewhat dated tasts.. DOES count and DC's SUX!

Some packages are definitely better than others.

> I'm talking STYLING!!!! And, a certain percentage of muscle freaks,
> aside.... Son likes the styling, I murmur pleasantries so as not to
> offend.

As for pure styling, the Mustang wins hands down IMO except for its fat
ass. Of the Hemi cars, the Charger's the best, but I don't consider it
a direct competitor to the Mustang. If/when DC comes out with the
Challenger (or something around the size of the Mustang), then we'll
talk. Of course, who knows what the Mustang will look like by then...

Old May 19th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

:

>> Joe > wrote:
>>
>>> However, if history is any
>>> indication of things to come, Ford will be a day late and a dollar
>>> short.
>>>

>> In the CONTEXT of this discussion and considering that Chrysler is

>only
>> marketing retro NAMES, not looks*, and the fact that the Challenger is

>2
>> years away, I find that AMUSING.
>>
>> *Unless you find the PT Cruiser attractive.. or maybe the roadster
>> whatsitsname..

>Don't know what rock you're living under, but DC is SELLING Hemi cars
>like hotcakes right now.

Rebates & incentives on all but Hemi & SRT8 models pretty much
reinforces that. However, it is a very niche marketplace very easily
saturated. When we get Hybrids 0-60 times down to sub 6 seconds we
might be on to something.
--
For choosing to fight, one gets the horrors of war,stress,and possibly
death.

For choosing not to fight, one gets subjugation,humiliation,and
possibly death.

Choose your fights carefully.

Charger NJ Vike Dodge 12 January 13th 06 12:05 PM
Mopar Oil Filter Number(s) do not spam Chrysler 3 January 7th 06 01:18 PM
Got to love that HEMI. Here is some info on it. In our Dodge and Jeep Scott S. Dodge 0 March 31st 05 10:36 AM
DODGE CHALLENGER: 340 HEADERS emon Dodge 2 September 16th 04 07:53 AM