98 Wrangler: No Wipers

Old December 20th 04, 01:42 PM
M. E. Bye

Default 98 Wrangler: No Wipers

Worst snow storm of the year going this morning and I go out to my TJ
and discover that I don't have any wiper action. Fuse is good. What
do y'all recommend as my next move? (P.S. Where is the wiper motor,
anyway?)

Thanks,

Mark
'98 TJ
'98 XJ
Old December 20th 04, 01:58 PM
Mike Romain

I would try to gently pry them away from the frozen windshield while
hoping ice didn't cook the module.

Someone else posted recently that the TJ also has some kind of gap that
allows ice to build up on the linkages. He had to remove the cowl cover
on the hood to get at it. (guessing that's where the motor is?)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 24th 04, 02:36 PM
M. E. Bye

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:42:53 -0600, M. E. Bye >
wrote:

>Worst snow storm of the year going this morning and I go out to my TJ
>and discover that I don't have any wiper action. Fuse is good. What
>do y'all recommend as my next move? (P.S. Where is the wiper motor,
>anyway?)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark
>'98 TJ
>'98 XJ

So... in below zero temperatures whilst replacing the wiper motor that
went tits up on me last week during the worst winter storm so far this
year, I may have discovered (and hopefully cured) my "water on the
passenger floorboards" problem.

Once the cowl panel was off, I noticed that on the passenger side,
surrounding the fresh air intake, is a rather large "gasket" of foam
rubber. The foam on my TJ seemed to be unusually wet, quite a bit of
corrosion and debris around the screw/speed nut that secures the cowl
panel in that area. I cleaned it up as best I could and went to the
local hardware store and bought some foam weather stripping (the big
thick stuff you'd shove in around a window air conditioner). I ran a
bead of silicone adhesive and with the new weatherstrip, added an
additional layer that would be compressed a little tighter when I
re-installed the cowl panel.

Just passing this one along.

Mark
'98 TJ
'98 XJ
Old December 24th 04, 02:52 PM
Mike Romain

Ahh man.....

Silicone is really bad news next to body metal. It outgasses fumes that
turn into acid when in contact with moisture and it 'will' rot out the
metal panel really fast. Totally rot it out.

You need to use a butyl compound around sheet metal.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 24th 04, 03:09 PM
M. E. Bye

No, no... I ran the bead of silicone on top of the existing foam
gasket (not on the sheet metal) to hold the new foam and the old foam
together. Thanks for the tip, tho. I'd never heard that before.

Mark
'98 XJ
'98 TJ

Old December 24th 04, 05:29 PM
Mike Romain

Ya silicone can be nasty stuff. If you use any except the special
sensor safe stuff and the O2 gets the slightest whiff of it, it is one
dead O2 sensor.

The acid is acetic acid I believe and I have seen a pile of totally
rotted out windshield frames when folks tried to fix leaks. One guy
used it to hold the vinyl roof on. Man it sure was funny when the wind
peeled it back one day. Nothing left....

Mike

"M. E. Bye" wrote:

> No, no... I ran the bead of silicone on top of the existing foam
> gasket (not on the sheet metal) to hold the new foam and the old foam
> together. Thanks for the tip, tho. I'd never heard that before.
>
> Mark
> '98 XJ
> '98 TJ
>
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:52:03 -0500, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
> >Ahh man.....
> >
> >Silicone is really bad news next to body metal. It outgasses fumes that
> >turn into acid when in contact with moisture and it 'will' rot out the
> >metal panel really fast. Totally rot it out.
> >
> >You need to use a butyl compound around sheet metal.
> >
> >Mike
> >86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> >88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> >
> >"M. E. Bye" wrote:

> >> So... in below zero temperatures whilst replacing the wiper motor that
> >> went tits up on me last week during the worst winter storm so far this
> >> year, I may have discovered (and hopefully cured) my "water on the
> >> passenger floorboards" problem.
> >>
> >> Once the cowl panel was off, I noticed that on the passenger side,
> >> surrounding the fresh air intake, is a rather large "gasket" of foam
> >> rubber. The foam on my TJ seemed to be unusually wet, quite a bit of
> >> corrosion and debris around the screw/speed nut that secures the cowl
> >> panel in that area. I cleaned it up as best I could and went to the
> >> local hardware store and bought some foam weather stripping (the big
> >> thick stuff you'd shove in around a window air conditioner). I ran a
> >> bead of silicone adhesive and with the new weatherstrip, added an
> >> additional layer that would be compressed a little tighter when I
> >> re-installed the cowl panel.
> >>
> >> Just passing this one along.
> >>
> >> Mark
> >> '98 TJ
> >> '98 XJ

wipers fail in only two speeds Mogsie Alfa Romeo 1 January 12th 05 09:23 AM
Wipers bogging down Dee Honda 10 November 23rd 04 03:46 PM
Engine Vacuum, Wipers, and Brake Booster Joe Hudon Antique cars 1 June 16th 04 07:18 PM