Is there a name for...

Old December 26th 04, 05:11 PM
Seahag

Default Is there a name for...

....the dent on the Wrangler hood where someone sat on your truck?

Has anyone had luck pushing the dent back out from the underneath?

Seahag

Old December 26th 04, 06:10 PM
Mike Romain

I think I would try with a plunger from the top first. You can push up
from under very carefully. There are tools shaped so as not to kink or
crease. I have had some luck with a wood block and a strong slow push.
The rounded edge of a finish 2x4 comes to mind.

If the cross bars under are involved, things change fast. Usually the
bar needs to be separated from the metal first. There is glue on some
of them that takes a torch to melt.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 26th 04, 06:34 PM
DougW

Seahag did pass the time by typing:
> ...the dent on the Wrangler hood where someone sat on your truck?
>
> Has anyone had luck pushing the dent back out from the underneath?

I call them assprints.

Before you go pushing things and making the dent a crease, check with
a good local body shop and see how much they would charge. Going after
a dent without knowing what your doing has a high chance of making things
much worse (read more expensive) to fix.

You may be able to lighly press with your palm from the back side and
pop the dent out. If there are any creases around the edges it will take
some auto body work to fix.

--
DougW

Old December 26th 04, 08:11 PM
Nick

could you pull the dry ice trick here?
Nick

--
http://members.cox.net/nnote/

Old December 26th 04, 08:27 PM
DougW

Nick did pass the time by typing:
> could you pull the dry ice trick here?

Possibly. I say that because the use of dry ice
to suck the metal back relies on thick metal. Modern
day sheet steel is just to thin. It all depends on if
the metal has been moved beyone the elastic range and
actually deformed (plastic range). Once it's gone that far
hot/cold won't bring it back, only force will.

It falls under the "can't hurt" title since you can't damage
the metal by trying the dry ice.

Old December 27th 04, 01:27 PM
Seahag

I'll try the plunger trick on my truck, I don't think the cross bars are
involved. My BIL has a deeper "assprint" as the individual was a 'big'
girl! Thanks.

Seahag

Old December 27th 04, 01:30 PM
Seahag

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Seahag did pass the time by typing:
>> ...the dent on the Wrangler hood where someone sat on your truck?
>>
>> Has anyone had luck pushing the dent back out from the underneath?

> I call them assprints.

I thought there must be a name, hahaha!

> Before you go pushing things and making the dent a crease, check with
> a good local body shop and see how much they would charge. Going after
> a dent without knowing what your doing has a high chance of making things
> much worse (read more expensive) to fix.
>
> You may be able to lighly press with your palm from the back side and
> pop the dent out. If there are any creases around the edges it will take
> some auto body work to fix.

No creases...I'll be gentle though.
Thanks,

Seahag