Jeep no start, no crank - help!

Old December 24th 04, 12:32 AM
Ralf

Default Jeep no start, no crank - help!

Have 1993 Jeep Cherokee with 250000 mi. on it... just bought it.
Started fine yesterday... now this am it would not crank, grunt or
anything.. just the 'buzz' - battery is good, but put a charger on to make
sure... blower fan works, head;lights work.. Could this be an ignition
problem... any guidance or advice most appreciated. Weather tomorrow down
to 0 degrees and -12 Xmas morning.. Don't plan on working with it until
next Tuesday.. but all ideas welcome and thanks.
R. Griffith Ohio

Old December 24th 04, 12:49 AM
Tom T

Sounds like a bad starter to me. I would guess that the starter drive
isn't moving onto the flywheel and buzz you hear is the starter motor
turning.
Tom T

Old December 24th 04, 01:58 AM
RoyJ

I'd start with the battery cables. If the lights work and the starter
just buzzes, you probably have a loose cable or bad connector. Have
someone hold the starter down for a few seconds, feel the ends of both
the red cable as well as the ground strap. Be careful, if there is a
high resitance connection it will get HOT. At 250k, be prepared to
replace BOTH hot and ground cables.

Old December 24th 04, 02:04 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Ralf,
No one sells a car with a good battery. Take it down to your parts
store and have it load tested, and checked for internal shorts. Your
trickle charger ain't going to get it.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 24th 04, 02:45 PM
mike92105

(Assuming you have an automatic) Just a thought, with your foot on the brake
(just in case) try wiggling the shiftter while trying to start it. I think
there might be a recall on the shift interlock mechanism.

Old December 24th 04, 03:40 PM
Ralf

Thanks to all for replying -- I tried the 'wiggle' of the shifter while
cranking and she started right off... much obliged - this will make my
Christmas more merry... this is a super newsgroup and my prayers and wishes
for a happy and healthy Xmas and 2005 , go out to each of you.. R. Griffith

Old December 24th 04, 05:48 PM
RoyJ

If the starter 'buzzed" before, I suspect you will be left looking for
your problem again in the next few days!

Old December 24th 04, 06:18 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks for telling us what your problem was.
Merry Christmas.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/