3 minutes to steel a BMW

Old July 26th 12, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default 3 minutes to steel a BMW

On 07/26/2012 01:04 AM, bob urz wrote:
> http://www.networkworld.com/communit..._pm_2012-07-09
>

> bob

there's a fundamental conundrum he

secure,
reliable,
cheap.

pick any two.

and of course, it has to be serviceable by a dealer. and with respect,
a manufacturer /cannot/ rely on the dealer being able to hire and retain
rocket surgeons - everything has to be "simplified".

--
fact check required
Old July 26th 12, 09:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Old July 26th 12, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
bob urz > wrote:
>http://www.networkworld.com/communit..._pm_2012-07-09

In DC they don't even bother with that, they just have a flatbed, pull it
up behind your car, jack it up and drive it off. By the time anyone notices,
it's gone.

They have folks who will steal cars on order when particular parts are needed.
So you're probably safe until someone needs a door for a 135i in carbonschwartz
and then the spotters that drive around the city will find your car and call
it in.

Either you can get a very common car, which means they have more choices and
are less likely to find your car, or you can get a very uncommon car, meaning
they probably won't get an order for yours.

Cars can be stolen very quickly, very easily. Anti-theft technology just
makes it different to steal. Personally, I don't lock my car... thieves
see an unlocked car and figure there's nothing to bother with inside it...
--scott
Old July 26th 12, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

Some people are kind enough to leave their keys in the car. Watch out, it might be a bait car.

Old July 26th 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-07-26, bob urz > wrote:
> http://www.networkworld.com/communit..._pm_2012-07-09

" A simpler solution might be to move the ports to a position in the car
where access will definitely trigger the motion sensors, or to seclude
the ports behind a flap that triggers the alarm."

Or simply require the car be turned on for the port to function as it
has to be in every OBD2 system I've used.

Simple fix for BMW owners: hidden switch that distrupts the OBD2 port's
functionality or a good old fashioned kill switch.

Old July 26th 12, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/26/2012 08:46 AM, Brent wrote:
> On 2012-07-26, bob > wrote:
>> http://www.networkworld.com/communit..._pm_2012-07-09

> " A simpler solution might be to move the ports to a position in the car
> where access will definitely trigger the motion sensors, or to seclude
> the ports behind a flap that triggers the alarm."
>
> Or simply require the car be turned on for the port to function as it
> has to be in every OBD2 system I've used.
>
> Simple fix for BMW owners: hidden switch that distrupts the OBD2 port's
> functionality or a good old fashioned kill switch.

oh b[r]ent, you're so ignorant. there's no need to even /touch/ the car
to gain access, let alone trigger an alarm ****ing about under the dash
looking for somewhere to plug in your clumsy [and somewhat ineffective]
tool. [but that's the story of your life, right?]

<http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/12/1813202/the-future-of-hi-tech-auto-theft>

<http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060504/david-beckham%E2%80%99s-60000-bmw-stolen-using-a-laptop/>

sniff the driver's rfid tag as they walk away "locking" the vehicle,
crack the simple code roll sequence, transmit the unlock code, plant ass
on seat, transmit ignition unlock/engine start, then drive away.

or, as the second article outlines, you don't even need to sniff if
you're prepared to sit there looking innocent at the coffee shop for a
little while crunching a few test codes.

--
fact check required
Old July 26th 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-07-26, jim beam > wrote:
> On 07/26/2012 08:46 AM, Brent wrote:
>> On 2012-07-26, bob > wrote:
>>> http://www.networkworld.com/communit..._pm_2012-07-09

>> " A simpler solution might be to move the ports to a position in the car
>> where access will definitely trigger the motion sensors, or to seclude
>> the ports behind a flap that triggers the alarm."
>>
>> Or simply require the car be turned on for the port to function as it
>> has to be in every OBD2 system I've used.
>>
>> Simple fix for BMW owners: hidden switch that distrupts the OBD2 port's
>> functionality or a good old fashioned kill switch.

> oh b[r]ent, you're so ignorant. there's no need to even /touch/ the car
> to gain access, let alone trigger an alarm ****ing about under the dash
> looking for somewhere to plug in your clumsy [and somewhat ineffective]
> tool. [but that's the story of your life, right?]

Seriously, you need to work out this problem you have and go get an
engineering degree instead of trolling people on usenet. Childish
things like "b[r]ent", opening with insults, etc and so on only
demonstrate to the world what an ingorant and insecure hack you are.
Or is it that you tried and failed to get an engineering degree? What
ever your psychological problem is, acting out on usenet is not going
to cure it.

><http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/12/1813202/the-future-of-hi-tech-auto-theft>

Unrelated to the post I was replying to. Unrelated to specific exploit
of a specific make of cars made recently I was offering a solution
for. Also does not defeat a kill switch.

><http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060504/david-beckham%E2%80%99s-60000-bmw-stolen-using-a-laptop/>

Does not defeat a kill switch.

> sniff the driver's rfid tag as they walk away "locking" the vehicle,
> crack the simple code roll sequence, transmit the unlock code, plant ass
> on seat, transmit ignition unlock/engine start, then drive away.

Does not defeat a kill switch.

> or, as the second article outlines, you don't even need to sniff if
> you're prepared to sit there looking innocent at the coffee shop for a
> little while crunching a few test codes.

Does not defeat a kill switch.

Or is the problem that you don't have a clue what a kill switch is in
the context of automotive theft prevention? While something that
disables the ignition system to stop the engine from running is a
true kill switch, in automotive theft prevention the switch can be
set up to disable any sub system which is required for the engine to
start and/or run.

Old July 27th 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/26/2012 10:02 AM, Brent wrote:
> On 2012-07-26, jim > wrote:
>>>
>>> " A simpler solution might be to move the ports to a position in the car
>>> where access will definitely trigger the motion sensors, or to seclude
>>> the ports behind a flap that triggers the alarm."
>>>
>>> Or simply require the car be turned on for the port to function as it
>>> has to be in every OBD2 system I've used.
>>>
>>> Simple fix for BMW owners: hidden switch that distrupts the OBD2 port's
>>> functionality or a good old fashioned kill switch.

>> oh b[r]ent, you're so ignorant. there's no need to even /touch/ the car
>> to gain access, let alone trigger an alarm ****ing about under the dash
>> looking for somewhere to plug in your clumsy [and somewhat ineffective]
>> tool. [but that's the story of your life, right?]

> Seriously, you need to work out this problem you have and go get an
> engineering degree instead of trolling people on usenet. Childish
> things like "b[r]ent", opening with insults, etc and so on only
> demonstrate to the world what an ingorant and insecure hack you are.
> Or is it that you tried and failed to get an engineering degree? What
> ever your psychological problem is, acting out on usenet is not going
> to cure it.

hmm. how can one interpret this? having failed at the straw man
argument tactic before, here he is failing at it again.

conclusion: he's either really stoooooooooooopid, or he's lurking at the
bathroom window again.

>> <http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/12/1813202/the-future-of-hi-tech-auto-theft>

> Unrelated to the post I was replying to. Unrelated to specific exploit
> of a specific make of cars made recently I was offering a solution
> for. Also does not defeat a kill switch.

unrelated by your [mis]understanding, true. but relevant to the o.p.

no, don't bother trying to bleat your way out of your mistake b[r]ent,
because if you haven't got this stuff by now, you never will.

>> <http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060504/david-beckham%E2%80%99s-60000-bmw-stolen-using-a-laptop/>

> Does not defeat a kill switch.
>
>> sniff the driver's rfid tag as they walk away "locking" the vehicle,
>> crack the simple code roll sequence, transmit the unlock code, plant ass
>> on seat, transmit ignition unlock/engine start, then drive away.

> Does not defeat a kill switch.
>
>> or, as the second article outlines, you don't even need to sniff if
>> you're prepared to sit there looking innocent at the coffee shop for a
>> little while crunching a few test codes.

> Does not defeat a kill switch.
>
> Or is the problem that you don't have a clue what a kill switch is in
> the context of automotive theft prevention? While something that
> disables the ignition system to stop the engine from running is a
> true kill switch, in automotive theft prevention the switch can be
> set up to disable any sub system which is required for the engine to
> start and/or run.

you're a [limp] tool b[r]ent. you blathered about trying to access an
obd socket as if that was the way to defeat the rfid lock and alarm. in
a word, "fail".

--
fact check required
Old July 27th 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-07-27, jim beam > wrote:
> On 07/26/2012 10:02 AM, Brent wrote:

>>> oh b[r]ent, you're so ignorant. there's no need to even /touch/ the car
>>> to gain access, let alone trigger an alarm ****ing about under the dash
>>> looking for somewhere to plug in your clumsy [and somewhat ineffective]
>>> tool. [but that's the story of your life, right?]

>> Seriously, you need to work out this problem you have and go get an
>> engineering degree instead of trolling people on usenet. Childish
>> things like "b[r]ent", opening with insults, etc and so on only
>> demonstrate to the world what an ingorant and insecure hack you are.
>> Or is it that you tried and failed to get an engineering degree? What
>> ever your psychological problem is, acting out on usenet is not going
>> to cure it.

> hmm. how can one interpret this? having failed at the straw man
> argument tactic before, here he is failing at it again.

I didn't make an argument for you mr. beam. Please learn what a strawman
is. I am making an observation and interpretation of your behavior.

> conclusion: he's either really stoooooooooooopid, or he's lurking at the
> bathroom window again.

Keep displaying what insecure backyard hack you are.

>>> <http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/12/1813202/the-future-of-hi-tech-auto-theft>

>> Unrelated to the post I was replying to. Unrelated to specific exploit
>> of a specific make of cars made recently I was offering a solution
>> for. Also does not defeat a kill switch.

> unrelated by your [mis]understanding, true. but relevant to the o.p.
> no, don't bother trying to bleat your way out of your mistake b[r]ent,
> because if you haven't got this stuff by now, you never will.

Non-responsive.

>>> <http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060504/david-beckham%E2%80%99s-60000-bmw-stolen-using-a-laptop/>

>> Does not defeat a kill switch.
>>
>>> sniff the driver's rfid tag as they walk away "locking" the vehicle,
>>> crack the simple code roll sequence, transmit the unlock code, plant ass
>>> on seat, transmit ignition unlock/engine start, then drive away.

>> Does not defeat a kill switch.
>>
>>> or, as the second article outlines, you don't even need to sniff if
>>> you're prepared to sit there looking innocent at the coffee shop for a
>>> little while crunching a few test codes.

>> Does not defeat a kill switch.
>>
>> Or is the problem that you don't have a clue what a kill switch is in
>> the context of automotive theft prevention? While something that
>> disables the ignition system to stop the engine from running is a
>> true kill switch, in automotive theft prevention the switch can be
>> set up to disable any sub system which is required for the engine to
>> start and/or run.

> you're a [limp] tool b[r]ent. you blathered about trying to access an
> obd socket as if that was the way to defeat the rfid lock and alarm. in
> a word, "fail".

I didn't "blather" about any such thing. I quoted TFA about blocking
access and stated a hidden switch or just an old fashioned kill switch
was a cheap solution. I was responding to a part of the article. Perhaps
if you had some reading comprehension you'd have noticed the quote
marks. If you had read the article you would have known it was a quote
from the article. No I do not expect you to man up to this error of
yours. I expect you to double down with insults.

Oh and once again, the methods you present do not defeat a kill switch.

Old July 27th 12, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/26/2012 07:54 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2012-07-27, jim > wrote:

>>> Seriously, you need to work out this problem you have and go get an
>>> engineering degree instead of trolling people on usenet. Childish
>>> things like "b[r]ent", opening with insults, etc and so on only
>>> demonstrate to the world what an ingorant and insecure hack you are.
>>> Or is it that you tried and failed to get an engineering degree? What
>>> ever your psychological problem is, acting out on usenet is not going
>>> to cure it.

>> hmm. how can one interpret this? having failed at the straw man
>> argument tactic before, here he is failing at it again.

> I didn't make an argument for you mr. beam. Please learn what a strawman
> is.

but the very opposite is true b[r]ent. both counts.

> I am making an observation and interpretation of your behavior.

but you're not - what you're saying is a twisted perversion.

which brings us to: your perverted stalking again. are you still sore?
i sure hope so!

--
fact check required